https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_hosting/245191-configuring_thunderbird_email_client_help_needed.html&phpv_redirected=1

Configuring Thunderbird email client - Help needed
Thread poster: Francesca Bernardis
Francesca Bernardis
Francesca Bernardis  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:18
Member (2010)
Portuguese to Italian
+ ...
Mar 15, 2013

I have been trying to set up Thunderbird as email client for my ProZ-hosted email accounts, but unsuccessfully. I looked in the archives and I know some of you use (used?) Thunderbird for this, so I hope there is someone out there who can help me.

When I try to set up the account, Thunderbird finds a configuration based on the non-SSL setting, i.e. with the server name mail.myaccount.com. If I accept this, it works fine. But if I try to configure the account with secure SSL settings
... See more
I have been trying to set up Thunderbird as email client for my ProZ-hosted email accounts, but unsuccessfully. I looked in the archives and I know some of you use (used?) Thunderbird for this, so I hope there is someone out there who can help me.

When I try to set up the account, Thunderbird finds a configuration based on the non-SSL setting, i.e. with the server name mail.myaccount.com. If I accept this, it works fine. But if I try to configure the account with secure SSL settings (i.e. server name mail.proz.com) I only get error messages, such as:
-Configuration could not be verified - is the username or password wrong?
-Login to server mail.proz.com failed

I already tried to tweak the login, using info, [email protected], info+myaccount.com, but none of them works.
I also tried a new, more secure password, but that didn't work either.

Any idea? I'm stuck.

I'll be grateful for any suggestion.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:18
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Support ticket? Mar 16, 2013

Seeing that nobody has replied, I suggest that you contact ProZ.com staff directly via a support ticket: http://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask&sp_sub_mode=ticket_submit

Francesca Bernardis
Italy
Member (2010)
Portuguese to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 17, 2013

Sheila,

thanks for your interest. I hate to contact Support staff for every little thing, but when nothing else solves the problem... In this case, I think I'll try the Mozilla forums before resorting to Support.

Thanks,

Francesca

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:18
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Do you also have your own domain name hosted by ProZ? Mar 18, 2013

Francesca,
I am using Thunderbird for my ProZ-hosted email without any problems.
I have my own domain hosted at ProZ, and the email is on that domain.
In fact, I have multiple email addresses set up on that domain.

I could tell you what settings I am using, but they may not be applicable to you as they are.
The point of asking ProZ support is that they know how your hosting account is set up (they can look it up from their end). That way they could tell you e
... See more
Francesca,
I am using Thunderbird for my ProZ-hosted email without any problems.
I have my own domain hosted at ProZ, and the email is on that domain.
In fact, I have multiple email addresses set up on that domain.

I could tell you what settings I am using, but they may not be applicable to you as they are.
The point of asking ProZ support is that they know how your hosting account is set up (they can look it up from their end). That way they could tell you exactly what settings will work for YOUR account.

If you are asking anybody else, you may have to disclose information that you may not want to.

Katalin
Collapse

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Please verify that you've tried these steps Mar 18, 2013

Francesca Bernardis wrote:

When I try to set up the account, Thunderbird finds a configuration based on the non-SSL setting, i.e. with the server name mail.myaccount.com. If I accept this, it works fine. But if I try to configure the account with secure SSL settings (i.e. server name mail.proz.com) I only get error messages, such as:
-Configuration could not be verified - is the username or password wrong?
-Login to server mail.proz.com failed

I already tried to tweak the login, using info, [email protected], info+myaccount.com, but none of them works.
I also tried a new, more secure password, but that didn't work either.

Any idea? I'm stuck.

I'll be grateful for any suggestion.

Hello Francesca,

To configure your account with SSL settings, the following steps should be taken:

1. Go to CPanel
2. Select "Email accounts"
3. Click on "More" next to your email
4. Select "Configure mail client"
5. Verify that the information under "SSL settings" is correct in your email client

If you can verify that you've taken these steps, and you're still having this problem, then I would kindly ask you submit a support request so that staff can assist you there.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Maria

Francesca Bernardis
Italy
Member (2010)
Portuguese to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you again Mar 21, 2013

Thanks to all of you. If I discover a general solution (either with support or through Mozilla forums) I'll post it here.

Francesca Bernardis
Italy
Member (2010)
Portuguese to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Mar 21, 2013

The information given in my cPanel, under SSL settings, are wrong. Support was able to give me the correct ones. A big thank you to them, and to all that answered my call for help!

Daniel Coria
Daniel Coria  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:18
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same issue, would welcome feedback on this Apr 3, 2018

Hi Francesca,

I know this thread is a bit old now, but would you be so kind as to send me a message with the correct SSL settings for mail.proz.com?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Configuring Thunderbird email client - Help needed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »