https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_hosting/24226-how_to_use_anonymous_ftp_and_additional_ftp_accounts.html&phpv_redirected=1

How to use anonymous FTP and additional FTP accounts
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 13:58
English to German
+ ...
Aug 28, 2004

Hi! IHere too I am actually facing trouble, maybe with configuring. Actually there are about 4 mail accounts on my site, one on my name, domain name, anonymous, and ftp logs. So I assume if I inform an outsourcer to upload his documents to incoming folder on my domain via anonymous logon, that should function as I assume it would. I saw it on various sites. But here it is not going, the anonymous logon requires username and password. I cannot generate another ftp co-user. What am I doing wrong! ... See more
Hi! IHere too I am actually facing trouble, maybe with configuring. Actually there are about 4 mail accounts on my site, one on my name, domain name, anonymous, and ftp logs. So I assume if I inform an outsourcer to upload his documents to incoming folder on my domain via anonymous logon, that should function as I assume it would. I saw it on various sites. But here it is not going, the anonymous logon requires username and password. I cannot generate another ftp co-user. What am I doing wrong! Can anyone help me here. Thank you in advance.
Rgds,
Brandis

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-11-10 16:10]
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 07:58
SITE STAFF
Anonymous FTP is disabled--create an account for the outsourcer instead Aug 31, 2004

Hi Brandis,

For security reasons, anonymous FTP access is not available. Instead of using anonymous FTP, create an FTP account for the outsourcer to use instead. To do so, log in to your control panel. Then go to FTP Manager -> FTP Accounts -> Add FTP Account. You should be able to add up to 5 accounts.

Note that the outsourcer must use the full login name listed on the FTP account maintenance page in order to log in, including the @yourdomain portion.<
... See more
Hi Brandis,

For security reasons, anonymous FTP access is not available. Instead of using anonymous FTP, create an FTP account for the outsourcer to use instead. To do so, log in to your control panel. Then go to FTP Manager -> FTP Accounts -> Add FTP Account. You should be able to add up to 5 accounts.

Note that the outsourcer must use the full login name listed on the FTP account maintenance page in order to log in, including the @yourdomain portion.

I hope this helps.

Jason
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 13, 2004

Jason Grimes wrote:

Hi Brandis,

Note that the outsourcer must use the full login name listed on the FTP account maintenance page in order to log in, including the @yourdomain portion.

I hope this helps.

Jason
Hi! Is the anonymous ftp logging solution better in advanced hosting systems. I was just wondering. the 5 mail account troubles has been solved, thank you.
Regards,
Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is there a limitation on keyword usage! Sep 30, 2004

Jason Grimes wrote:

Hi Brandis,

I hope this helps.

Jason
The situation regarding ftp anonymous usage is this. Sometimes I have outsourcers wishing to upload their documents to my site as they do not have ftp server or a website. Now as per your suggestion I had tried the following - created a guest account "Guest" and password [password removed by site staff]. So now the outsourcer must be able to login and upload his files. But it is not going. Now I am suspecting that the failure could be the result of keyword usage, I haven´t tried another alternative yet. Are you sure creating for example "outsourcer " account = outsourcer, let us forget the password, would go
Regards,
Brandis

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
FTP usernames are [email protected] Sep 30, 2004

Brandis wrote:
Now as per your suggestion I had tried the following - created a guest account "Guest" and password ***. So now the outsourcer must be able to login and upload his files. But it is not going.

Hi Brandis,

The users you create to access your FTP site must log in with their username in the form "[email protected]". For example, if your hosted domain name was example.com, your "guest" account would log in to FTP with the username "[email protected]".

I strongly suggest that you change the username and password of your guest account after publishing it here in the forum.

I hope this helps.

Jason

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ftp logging is still not going Nov 10, 2004

Hi Jason,

I have tried once more. I have created a "guest" account PW bieng "guest" or testing purposes. my ftp address is ftp://ftp.tle-services.com, this would not be an anonymous login, but a normal one or auto-detect. Now the what would be guest login look like. I have tried several times together with a friend, changed user name = account name and Password being same as user name, just to av
... See more
Hi Jason,

I have tried once more. I have created a "guest" account PW bieng "guest" or testing purposes. my ftp address is ftp://ftp.tle-services.com, this would not be an anonymous login, but a normal one or auto-detect. Now the what would be guest login look like. I have tried several times together with a friend, changed user name = account name and Password being same as user name, just to avoid confusion and too much of feverish typing. Many times we have recd. a message " this is a private site and no anonymous login is possible" the other times "autication denied", despite the above mentioned settings. What am I doing wrong. Can´t get it. Or it because of Basic hosting account status. Is it different in advanced hosting system!
Regards,
Brandis
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
How to create and log in with a new FTP account Nov 10, 2004

[quote]Brandis wrote:
I have tried once more. I have created a "guest" account PW bieng
d by site staff] or testing purposes. my ftp address is ftp://ftp.tle-services.com, this would not be an anonymous login, but a normal one or auto-detect. Now the what would be guest login look like.

Hi Brandis,

I do not see that you have created a "guest" FTP account in your control panel.

To create an FTP account, log in to your control panel. Then go to FTP Manager -> FTP Accounts -> Add FTP Account. To add an account named "guest", enter "guest" in the "login" field. Choose a password, and select a subdirectory of public_html that you want this account to have access to. Then click "create".

To log in to your FTP server using this new "guest" account, use the following login information:

FTP Server: <a rel="nofollow" href="http://ftp.tle-services.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">ftp.tle-services.com</a>
    Login username: <a href="mailto:[email protected]" rel="nofollow">[email protected]</a>
    Password: (whatever password you chose)

Do not be alarmed by the message "This is a private system - No anonymous login" that you see when you log in to your FTP server. This is simply a warning to unauthorized users.

I hope this helps.

Jason

P.S. Please remove the login information for your test account from your post. Even if you have changed the password, posting that information on the Internet is an invitation to troublemakers. Thanks.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have really created and removed upon failure Nov 10, 2004

Hi! I did the following. I went to ftp manager and created for example an account for john. smith. john being the user and smith the pasword ( this is an example - as I know this manner is being used and it is functioning when I personally login using ftp://brandis:[email protected] that functions. Similarly this case john.smith, theoretically should go. Instead I get user access u... See more
Hi! I did the following. I went to ftp manager and created for example an account for john. smith. john being the user and smith the pasword ( this is an example - as I know this manner is being used and it is functioning when I personally login using ftp://brandis:[email protected] that functions. Similarly this case john.smith, theoretically should go. Instead I get user access unauthenticated or the similar. this is not anonymous login, this is with password and normal login. Additionally when I create john.smith account the account is known as john and I the access is allowed automatically under public_html and not under incoming folder. Second step was I had to create an account for john physically using the ftp client under my login. Even so I get the above message rejection due to lack of authentication. What should I do.
Rgds,
Brandis
p.s. now that I have tried and removed it, there is no danger in discussing this openly. approve me that the above method is right, as it is functioning on various servers I know.

[Edited at 2004-11-10 16:17]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you use Internet Explorer to login? Nov 10, 2004

Then it does not wonder, that you cannot do anything.
After you get this message, stating, that it is a private system, you MUST login. You do this via File-menu (Datei) in your IE, and choosing "Login as... (Anmelden als...). Then a window opens, which asks you for the login name (be sure to use the format [email protected]) and password. You can choose the option "Save password" too.

But Internet Explorer is not a
... See more
Then it does not wonder, that you cannot do anything.
After you get this message, stating, that it is a private system, you MUST login. You do this via File-menu (Datei) in your IE, and choosing "Login as... (Anmelden als...). Then a window opens, which asks you for the login name (be sure to use the format [email protected]) and password. You can choose the option "Save password" too.

But Internet Explorer is not a good tool for ftp transfer. Look for any "adult" ftp programs, such as CuteFTP, WS FTP Pro and so on. Some of them may be found for example on zdnet.com or zdnet.de for downloading.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use ftp client software Nov 10, 2004

Hi! Jerzy, I use ftp.clients such as wsftp and sftp and a few others. I also log through Dreamweaver directly, and almost never use IE-login. I hope that answers the question.
Regards,
Brandis

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
FTP login username is "[email protected]" Nov 10, 2004

Brandis wrote:
when I personally login using ftp://brandis:[email protected] that functions. Similarly this case john.smith, theoretically should go. Instead I get user access unauthenticated or the similar. this is not anonymous login, this is with password and normal login.

Hi Brandis,

The login username for your "john" account would be "[email protected]". You *must* include the "@tle-services.com" part of the login username when you attempt to log in. The only FTP account that does not need to include "@tle-services.com" is your main hosting account, "brandis". That account is special; it is your main user account and has access to all the files for your hosted account. Any other FTP account you create, including the anonymous "[email protected]" account, must include "@tle-services.com" in the login username.

I hope this helps.

Jason

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I still fail to get it Nov 13, 2004

Hi1 Jason,

Just now I have taken another attempt at setting up an ftp account, not on anonymous basis, but user and login etc,. Basically I understand your explanation. But after setting up the account. When I try to login using user name and password, I still cannot access the account. Do I need to undergo any further changes here. Please adv. I can give you access to my account with you to check. Currently I have set up an account under OSCommerce, with an 8 digit PW.I shall be m
... See more
Hi1 Jason,

Just now I have taken another attempt at setting up an ftp account, not on anonymous basis, but user and login etc,. Basically I understand your explanation. But after setting up the account. When I try to login using user name and password, I still cannot access the account. Do I need to undergo any further changes here. Please adv. I can give you access to my account with you to check. Currently I have set up an account under OSCommerce, with an 8 digit PW.I shall be mailing you this information, when you are ready.
Regards,
Brandis
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use anonymous FTP and additional FTP accounts

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »