Thread poster: neilmac
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 23:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 20, 2012

Am on the hosting page. I want to sign up, but can't see how to proceed (where or what to click on, etc). I can see my details:

Domain: neilmac.my.proz.com
Package: Standard
Username: neilmac
Mail server: mail.neilmac.my.proz.com
FTP server: ftp.neilmac.my.proz.com

[Control panel] [Web site] [Webmail]
[ProZ.com SiteCreator™]

... See more
Am on the hosting page. I want to sign up, but can't see how to proceed (where or what to click on, etc). I can see my details:

[ProZ.com SiteCreator™]

What should I do next?
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
What do you want to do? May 20, 2012

Hi Neil,

If you can see all that then you are already signed up!

Just go ahead and create a website, register new domains, manage your email or whatever. It's all in the FAQs, which you should be able to see under the "My ProZ.com Hosting Account" box you describe.

There's even a Proz SiteCreator to get you up and running if you haven't already got a website of your own. One thing Proz membership offers newcomers to web-driven business strategies is a comp
... See more
Hi Neil,

Just go ahead and create a website, register new domains, manage your email or whatever. It's all in the FAQs, which you should be able to see under the "My ProZ.com Hosting Account" box you describe.

There's even a Proz SiteCreator to get you up and running if you haven't already got a website of your own. One thing Proz membership offers newcomers to web-driven business strategies is a comprehensive toolbox.

What it could perhaps do better (Hi there, moderators and site staff!) is provide practical examples of how translators use the web, and the resources Proz puts at their disposal, to generate income.

Giles
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... May 21, 2012

[quote]Giles Watson wrote:
Hi Neil :

- OK, so why does it not recognise my Username and password?

Just go ahead and create a website, register new domains, manage your email or whatever.
- I don't want to create a website or domains, I just wanted to see how easy it was to open and use the email function. So far, it is proving irritatingly frustrating.

It's all in the FAQs...
- Unfortunately, the FAQs are not helping at all, but driving me up the wall at the amount of time I'm wasting on this.

There's even a Proz SiteCreator to get you up and running
- I'm only intersted in trying out the email accounts, not creating a whole website since I don't have the time right now. Anyway, it doesn't recognise my proz login ID and I don't see any instructions on how to create one for the hosting package.

From my point of view, the instructions are just not simple, clear or detailed enough. They should be step-by-step and not assume that users will already be au fait with the technology. For example, how do I create a login for the hosting features control panel, etc. Which buttons, links or icon do I need to click on to do this, and where are they on located my screen display?

I am by no means a techno virgin but am only human, and after trying several times to find my way around the hosting package unsuccessfully I start to get angry and resentful for being made to feel like a chump.

PS:) Thanks anyway for the encouragement, Giles, but I'm afraid that until I get past the login hurdle my gruntle will remain dissed...

[Edited at 2012-05-21 07:56 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Control panel or support May 21, 2012

neilmac wrote:

[ProZ.com SiteCreator™]

What should I do next?

Try clicking "Control panel". It should prompt you to select the password for the account.

If not, just file a support ticket, they should get you up and running in no time.

Edit: I might be wrong here - the hosting FAQ says:

If you are a full member, you can sign up for ProZ.com hosting from the hosting info page. During the sign-up process, you will select a username and password for your hosting account. You will need these to access various features of your account. Save the welcome email you receive shortly after signing up for later reference; it contains your username and password, as well as links to helpful hosting resources.

[Edited at 2012-05-21 09:50 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally managed to get in May 21, 2012

[quote]Jabberwock wrote:

neilmac wrote:

Am on the hosting page. I want to sign up, but can't see how to proceed (where or

Try clicking "Control panel". It should prompt you to select the password for the account.
Edited at 2012-05-21 09:50 GMT]

I've done this several times but - mea culpa - it turns I was using the wrong password - and I thought I had to create a new one. Thanks to everyone for helping out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to sign up

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »