Beta testing the new hosting system
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 08:59
SITE STAFF
May 25, 2004

A brand new hosting system is being developed to replace the existing hosting service offered to platinum members. The new hosting service is based on the popular web hosting control panel "cPanel", and offers a highly competitive feature set comparable to packages offered by other hosting companies.

ProZ.com has also become an authorized domain reseller for OpenSRS/Tucows, one of the most reliable and open domain registrars on the Internet. This will allow us to give members comple
... See more
A brand new hosting system is being developed to replace the existing hosting service offered to platinum members. The new hosting service is based on the popular web hosting control panel "cPanel", and offers a highly competitive feature set comparable to packages offered by other hosting companies.

ProZ.com has also become an authorized domain reseller for OpenSRS/Tucows, one of the most reliable and open domain registrars on the Internet. This will allow us to give members complete control over their own domain names using a web based domain management interface at ProZ.com.

If you are a platinum member interested in beta testing the new hosting system, please submit a support request: http://www.proz.com/support

Watch this forum for further information.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:59
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
OK so far, the new interface is accessible for me May 26, 2004

I have the following mail exchange with Jason, which I paste below in oder to get the things clear here:

> If I understand right, I have to set up my mailboxes anew via cPanel
> and then reconfigure Outlook to go to them. I have to set up new
> passwords and so on, my old mails structure with [email protected]
> will be lost, as I understand.

Jason: This is correct.

OK, so I have two accounts now, one is with my user name "user1", and there is no field for a password there.
I created a new one with "info@" and was able to set the dimension of this mailbox and a password for it.
Shall this one be my usuall mail account and the first one with my user name is only for managing purposes there, do I get this right?

Thank you
Regards
Jerzy

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Finally found the way to do a clean job with cgiemail.. May 26, 2004

Cgiemail is useful to receive messages through a form, without leaving our email addresses ready for the spammers to crop them on our pages.

This one is not the simplest one that I have seen, but it is highly customizable.
My attempt is there;
http://www.oddie.my.proz.com/

It needed one .txt file plus 2 pages (one for success, the other for failure), added to the form.
... See more
Cgiemail is useful to receive messages through a form, without leaving our email addresses ready for the spammers to crop them on our pages.

This one is not the simplest one that I have seen, but it is highly customizable.
My attempt is there;
http://www.oddie.my.proz.com/

It needed one .txt file plus 2 pages (one for success, the other for failure), added to the form.

Somebody wrote something about CronJobs, but I'm not sure about what we can actually do with that. I suppose that I could ask it to send me the stats every week, for instance, but I have no idea about a really useful use of this? Any ideas?
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Main email account uses your hosting username and password May 26, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
OK, so I have two accounts now, one is with my user name "user1", and there is no field for a password there.
I created a new one with "info@" and was able to set the dimension of this mailbox and a password for it.
Shall this one be my usuall mail account and the first one with my user name is only for managing purposes there, do I get this right?

Jerzy,

Your main email account has the same username and password as your control panel account. By default, this is a "catch-all" email address that receives all mail not destined for one of your other email accounts (but this catch-all behavior can be changed).

The additional email accounts are generally used by people other than the main hosting account owner.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jason

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Where do I find a manual or a description for cPanel? May 26, 2004

I looked at its interface, but found nothing, no help files or similar. But I think it may be usefull not only for me.

Thank you.

As owner do I have to use the main mail account for mail traffic or may I set up other accounts and use them accordingly?

Regards
Jerzy

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Help for cpanel May 26, 2004

http://www.cpanel.net/docs/cp/
There is a forum as well
http://forums.cpanel.net/
I just subscribed, I don't know yet it it's going to be interesting for us
Florence

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Open signup for beta testers May 27, 2004

Any platinum member who would like to beta test the new hosting system can sign up here. The advanced upgrade is disabled for now, but let me know if you want to test the advanced features.

Regards,

Jason

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
Sign me up please - if I am not already May 27, 2004

At the moment I will just try out the basic version.

I have already informed Jason of my first impressions. But in case it is useful to anyone else, may I repeat them here:

First Impressions:

After using the idiot proof Geocites and Angelfire "File Managers", may I say that the new one at ProZ.com does not come across as instantly intuitive - though at first glance it does appear user-friendly. - All those cool looking icons -

For example, at
... See more
At the moment I will just try out the basic version.

I have already informed Jason of my first impressions. But in case it is useful to anyone else, may I repeat them here:

First Impressions:

After using the idiot proof Geocites and Angelfire "File Managers", may I say that the new one at ProZ.com does not come across as instantly intuitive - though at first glance it does appear user-friendly. - All those cool looking icons -

For example, at Angelfire they give you a standard index file as your opening page and advise you to replace that with your own index file.

I assumed this system would be similar and wrote a quick index page. However, when I posted it, I then clicked on http://www.berniarmstrong.my.proz.com/ but was not taken to my new index. I thopught it would be very useful if we could replace the standard index - which may include files we don't want "Joe Public" to see - with an index we write ourselves.

Jason explained that he would work on that and he moved my page to where it should have been -
"Your home directory in the file manager is not visible via your web site. This allows you to do other things besides web hosting with your hosting account. For files to be visible on your web site, you need to put them in your public web directory.

Your web directory is named public_html. www is also a shortcut for public_html, if you find www easier to remember. I moved your index.html page to your public_html directory, and now index.html is visible on your web site as you expected it to be"

So, now people can see my new index page - not a lot to see yet - but it's a start - when they click on http://www.berniarmstrong.my.proz.com/

I also noted that clicking on "Show File" - in File Manager - the file did not display as I wrote it. The links were not highlighted and you could only discover them by actually passing the mouse over the words that act as links.

Jason assured me that he would fix that ASAP.

This is developing folks and I am most interested in where it will go from here.
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for posting about your experience, Berni May 27, 2004

Berni,

Thanks for writing.

Berni Armstrong wrote:

For example, at Angelfire they give you a standard index file as your opening page and advise you to replace that with your own index file.

I have added a default index page that says that the owner has not yet created a web page, and directing you to the hosting info page for more information. I intend to add a "Getting Started" guide to the hosting info page, and your experiences will help determine what goes in it.

I also noted that clicking on "Show File" - in File Manager - the file did not display as I wrote it. The links were not highlighted and you could only discover them by actually passing the mouse over the words that act as links.

I think this is caused by the stylesheet of the control panel. Until I can find another way to resolve this, you should be able to work around it by specifying your own stylesheet for your web page.

I appreciate your feedback.

Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beta testing the new hosting system

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »