DFTS (X)
DFTS (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:35
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aug 24, 2011

Hi everyone,

I am very strongly considering moving my domain from my current web host to Proz hosting. I have in essence already decided on Proz hosting, but even though i already read some positive experiences here on the forum, I wanted to ask for some more specific feedback.

Please take a moment to read the background of why I want to switch to Proz:

After the first year of my subscription with one of the gigantic shared hosting companies, I was relative
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am very strongly considering moving my domain from my current web host to Proz hosting. I have in essence already decided on Proz hosting, but even though i already read some positive experiences here on the forum, I wanted to ask for some more specific feedback.

Please take a moment to read the background of why I want to switch to Proz:

After the first year of my subscription with one of the gigantic shared hosting companies, I was relatively satisfied with the price and the overall performance, but this morning my website got hacked and I suspect that the hacker found me through my web host. I have come to understand that hackers target these large commercial web hosts because they know that if they succeed in finding a loophole they can hack a large number of websites at once. That is what is making me skeptical of these large size web hosts, that they have too many websites on one shared server and their names are too well known to the extent that they are more vulnerable to security threats.

I was looking for an alternative web host that was not so large and so well known among hackers, and I thought, why not Proz? Since it is a small non-profit service just for translators, there is a lot less incentive for hackers to attack it and the smaller number of shared sites should provide less of a chance that someone else who has a weak site in terms of security with out of date programs will be on my shared server.

I didn't see a single complaint about hacked sites on the forum here, whereas in many locations on the Internet, there seem to be numerous complaints on other forums about hacked sites hosted on some of the major web hosts.

Has anyone had security problems, and more specifically, had their sites hacked with Proz? Has anyone who has previously had other web hosts and switched to Proz noticed a difference in security and/or performance? How is the up time at Proz?

I am well aware that there is not infinite space and bandwidth here, but I don't suppose that will be a problem for me. I run a fairly standard Wordpress site with a professional theme and once I upload everything, I will only make minor changes to the content every now and then, i.e. I don't use it as a blog with constantly new and changing content, at least for the time being.

Could anyone who is perhaps more knowledgeable or experienced in web hosting confirm my assessment of my previous web host and Proz above? I understand that the hacker could have got in any number of ways, through weak passwords, through old Wordpress themes or plugins etc. and I am not claiming to know for sure they got in through my web host, but I nonetheless feel like I would be a bit safer with Proz, and that even besides the security issues, the opportunity to have the basic hosting for free would be a better deal than my current web host anyway.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, reassurance and thoughts/educational comments about web hosting which will help me feel good about my decision to switch to Proz.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about anti-hacker security of Proz hosting

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »