Midori Wilson
Midori Wilson  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:38
English to Japanese
+ ...
Nov 22, 2010

Hello everyone.

I just installed Thunderbird 3.1.6 version on my PC (since I had to recover C-drive, I had to re-install everything including this program.) and I was having problems getting into my account, which was solved thanks to the support team. However, now I'm having a problem sending emails. (Receiving is just fine.) Could someone please tell me what I'm supposed to enter on SMTP server tab??? I get "Time out" error every time I try sending email...

Than
... See more
Hello everyone.

I just installed Thunderbird 3.1.6 version on my PC (since I had to recover C-drive, I had to re-install everything including this program.) and I was having problems getting into my account, which was solved thanks to the support team. However, now I'm having a problem sending emails. (Receiving is just fine.) Could someone please tell me what I'm supposed to enter on SMTP server tab??? I get "Time out" error every time I try sending email...

Thanks for your help!

Midori
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:38
German to English
+ ...
ISP Nov 22, 2010

Generally nowadays it will be the SMTP mail server address provided by your ISP.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
simple... Nov 22, 2010

you need to enter the SMTP mail server address provided by your local ISP... if you don't know it, look on the net or give them a ring!

Midori Wilson
Midori Wilson  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:38
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess I forgot to add... Nov 23, 2010

Hi Robert and Giovanni,

Thanks for your reply. I just realized I forgot to add a rather important information in my topic. I'm using the proz.com hosting. Are you guys using it? What do you have in the server name? Is it "mail.whateveryourdomainname.com"? That's what I have but it doesn't seem to like it. I will try and play with it a little more and see if I can figure it out somehow. Otherwise I will have to ask for support team help again...
See more
Hi Robert and Giovanni,

Thanks for your reply. I just realized I forgot to add a rather important information in my topic. I'm using the proz.com hosting. Are you guys using it? What do you have in the server name? Is it "mail.whateveryourdomainname.com"? That's what I have but it doesn't seem to like it. I will try and play with it a little more and see if I can figure it out somehow. Otherwise I will have to ask for support team help again

Thank you.
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
ProZ.ocm hosting Nov 23, 2010

I don't use ProZ.com hosting and am not entirely sure how you would use it for outgoing mail (even though I've checked out the "Hosting: Using email" page). Most ISP's require most domestic users to use their mail server as a spam controlling measure. To do otherwise I think you need to ask them to unblock port 25.

Helen Shepelenko
Helen Shepelenko
SITE STAFF
Steps to configure your email client to read and send your ProZ.com hosted email Nov 23, 2010

Hello Midori,

As I replied in the support request, to proceed you would need to go to "Email Accounts" from your cPanel interface. To the right of the email address in question under "Actions", click More, then select "Configure Email Client".

Please feel free to let me know how everything goes in the support request and I will be happy to help you and look further into the issue.

My bests,
Helen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone using Thunderbird 3.1.6? Problem receiving email

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »