https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_hosting/159895-hosting_down_staff_fixed-page3.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Hosting Down (staff: 'Fixed.')
Thread poster: ckatsidonis
John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Strangely reassuring Mar 9, 2010

Henry D wrote:

Hi all,

This problem can not be resolved remotely. A staff member is on the way to the data center. It is unlikely that this issue will be resolved within the next 20 minutes.

I will keep you posted.

In an age of 'cloud' computing and hopelessly remote servers, it is strangely reassuring to think that somebody is 'on the way' to the data centre. You can almost hear the footsteps hurrying down the corridor.

Rodrigo Mencía
Rodrigo Mencía  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Mar 9, 2010

Thank you.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Back to work Mar 9, 2010

Thank you,
philippe

Monica Tuduce
Monica Tuduce  Identity Verified
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
Thanks Mar 9, 2010

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
just want to add my voice ... Mar 9, 2010

I appreciate Henry's concern and the fact that someone went in person (in the middle of the night?) to fix the problem, but I also want to add that I hope something can be done to avoid this problem in the future.

I was at the end of a very long day (almost 9 p.m. here) when I realized that my e-mail didn't work. I needed to get a file to a client in Amsterdam (8 hours ahead of me). Fortunately, I have another e-mail account (msn.com) and was able to send it to her that way. Still,
... See more
I appreciate Henry's concern and the fact that someone went in person (in the middle of the night?) to fix the problem, but I also want to add that I hope something can be done to avoid this problem in the future.

I was at the end of a very long day (almost 9 p.m. here) when I realized that my e-mail didn't work. I needed to get a file to a client in Amsterdam (8 hours ahead of me). Fortunately, I have another e-mail account (msn.com) and was able to send it to her that way. Still, sorting everything out, looking for options, added another half hour to my work day, which had already been way too long. Moreover, I fretted that my other address might cause the message to go into her junk folder.

It would be lovely to avoid the stress (which I also "heard" in the posting of others) in the future.

Thanks,
Patricia
Collapse

Rodrigo Mencía
Rodrigo Mencía  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Free Mar 9, 2010

I understand that this is a "bonus" service we receive with our Proz account, but I think it's also one of the reasons why many of us are happy with Proz, because here we can share our daily work with translators from all over the world, we can look for information we need, we meet clients and collaborators, and we contribute to the international translation community. But I guess that problems like these undermine Proz's reputation and in my humble opinion it's important to find a solution. May... See more
I understand that this is a "bonus" service we receive with our Proz account, but I think it's also one of the reasons why many of us are happy with Proz, because here we can share our daily work with translators from all over the world, we can look for information we need, we meet clients and collaborators, and we contribute to the international translation community. But I guess that problems like these undermine Proz's reputation and in my humble opinion it's important to find a solution. Maybe some of us can help, but of course, if we have to go to the physical server, then that's a problem for those of us who live in Europe.

If there is any way we can contribute to solving these issues, it would be good to know what we can do.

Regards.

Rodrigo Mencia
Sworn Translator
www.traduccion-jurada-oficial.com
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:24
French to English
+ ...
use of hosting Mar 9, 2010

Henry D wrote:

The service is back up. No data should have been lost, and emails should be coming in again.

Once again, I regret the inconvenience caused. Although we have held out ProZ.com hosting as a low-cost (free) solution targeted at members who would otherwise not have a web presence, we know that many of you use your hosted email and sites for critical applications. We will take steps to improve the uptime of the service.

If Proz basic hosting (which is not free - anyone who uses it has paid the cost of membership) is not to be relied upon for critical applications, perhaps an obvious warning to that effect could be included on the sign-up page?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 00:24
SITE STAFF
Response times to problems will be improved Mar 9, 2010

Hello all,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems and hassle caused. As Henry mentions in his last post, steps will be taken to improve the uptime of the hosting service.

An important aspect of this is staff response time to reports of problems, which in this case could have, and should have, been much faster. Steps have already been taken in this direction, and I'll make sure there is more improvement along these lines.

Jared

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:24
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
How does it work at the moment? Mar 9, 2010

Hi Jared,

Thanks for posting. Can you tell us how it works at the moment? If there is a sudden surge in support requests, is there some kind of mechanism in place to ensure that a staff member is informed? How did Henry become aware of the problem this time?

Thanks,

Rebecca.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 00:24
SITE STAFF
Alert mechanisms Mar 9, 2010

Hi Rebecca,

There are mechanisms in place to alert staff of such things as increased support activity, or if there is a problem elsewhere on the site, yes, as well as steps to follow when those bells go off, so to speak. This can all stand improvement, of course, as we saw today. Right now I am working to ensure that support staff is nimbler on their feet when it comes to detecting and responding to issues of this sort.

Best regards,

Jared

Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Kevin Pfeiffer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Site status msg is available Mar 10, 2010

By the way, there is a site status message, after all, which I found under the "About" menu (I thought I had seen this once before):

http://www.proz.com/?sp=site_status

-K

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
ProZ partly down again? Mar 13, 2010

Curious: I can access this forum, but I can't access the jobs section, nor the main page.

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
English to French
+ ...
Please submit a support request with screenshots attached Mar 13, 2010

Dear Marinus,

I am afraid I could not reproduce the problem. Can you please submit a support request, attaching screenshots?

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Anne Diamantidis
ProZ.com Site Staff

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hosting Down (staff: 'Fixed.')

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »