In memoriam
Aug 9, 2009

The other day I got this cryptic message from Proz.com:

Please also note that after this downtime, the IP address
associated with your hosting account will have changed. If you
have applications such as email clients hard-coded to the current
IP address (207.127.117.54), you will need to change this to the
new IP address (66.193.29.154). This may also be a problem if you
have hard-coded the IP address into your website code (eg. PHP).
In either ca
... See more
The other day I got this cryptic message from Proz.com:

Please also note that after this downtime, the IP address
associated with your hosting account will have changed. If you
have applications such as email clients hard-coded to the current
IP address (207.127.117.54), you will need to change this to the
new IP address (66.193.29.154). This may also be a problem if you
have hard-coded the IP address into your website code (eg. PHP).
In either case, it is a good idea to always access your account
services using your current domain name. The domain name
associated with your account will not change, however after the
maintenance period it will DNS resolve to the new IP address.

I went into Thunderbird, under tools, account settings, and server settings, and there is no place to put an IP address. I don't follow the part about PHP (I'm using a POP server) nor do I understand what is meant by "will DNS resolve to the new IP address."

I could submit a support ticket, and although I won't be able to receive the e-mail with the link to the response, I guess I can I access it through "my support tickets," but before doing that, has anyone else reset their e-mail and if so, how?

Thanks!
Patricia

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-10 08:31 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-10 10:57 GMT]
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
fixed the problem myself Aug 9, 2009

I decided to try replacing my server name (which is my domain name) with the IP address everywhere in Mozilla, and that fixed the problem.

Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Kevin Pfeiffer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:48
German to English
+ ...
Wrong fix -- you should use the server host name, not an IP address Aug 9, 2009

Patricia Rosas wrote:

I decided to try replacing my server name (which is my domain name) with the IP address everywhere in Mozilla, and that fixed the problem.

It is exactly this that you should as a rule not do (and not have to do). That being said, it appears that something may have gone wrong with Mr. Petrowksi's update as my mail server and hosted web site are not accessible this evening. Putting in the IP address that DNS lookup returns (66.193.29.152) -- note that this is not the same address as the one he sent us -- I can now access the mail server, but of course the web site, which relies on host names, is now presently offline.

Support ticket submitted.

-K

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Why? Aug 9, 2009

Kevin Pfeiffer wrote:

It is exactly this that you should as a rule not do (and not have to do). That being said, it appears that something may have gone wrong with Mr. Petrowksi's update as my mail server and hosted web site are not accessible this evening. Putting in the IP address that DNS lookup returns (66.193.29.152) -- note that this is not the same address as the one he sent us -- I can now access the mail server, but of course the web site, which relies on host names, is now presently offline.

Support ticket submitted.

-K

Hi, Kevin:

Can you explain why it is the wrong thing to do?

The message I got used this address:
66.193.29.154 (I just cut and pasted it directly) so perhaps you're on a different server.

I put in a support ticket but then wrote to say that I fixed it (explaining how) and I haven't heard back yet.

I'll have to check my web site.

Thanks for responding!
Patricia

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Update went smoothly Aug 9, 2009

Dear members,

The scheduled maintenance for the hosting service was not problematic, although it did overrun the estimated three hour time period by about 30 minutes. As stated in the previous email, everyones' IP address has changed. Your domains have all been updated to use the new IP addresses, but these changes may take a few more hours to propagate throughout the Internet.

In the meantime, if your domain name does not successfully connect to your account, and you a
... See more
Dear members,

The scheduled maintenance for the hosting service was not problematic, although it did overrun the estimated three hour time period by about 30 minutes. As stated in the previous email, everyones' IP address has changed. Your domains have all been updated to use the new IP addresses, but these changes may take a few more hours to propagate throughout the Internet.

In the meantime, if your domain name does not successfully connect to your account, and you are using Microsoft Windows, doing the following may resolve the issue for you: click Start -> Run, and in the Run dialog box type 'ipconfig /flushdns' (minus the quotes) and hit Enter. This will force Windows to try to refresh the IP address it had previously associated with your domain name. Even if this doesn't immediately work, your domain name will point to the correct IP address certainly within the next several hours.

Thank you all for your patience.

Best regards,
Matt Petrowski
ProZ.com staff
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Please explain if it is wrong to put the IP address ... Aug 9, 2009

where the domain name used to be under "server name". Do I need to change it back to my domain name before running ipconfig thing?

Thanks for your help!

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You should use your domain name Aug 9, 2009

Dear Patricia,

There are a couple of reasons to use your domain name instead of the IP address. One is that if the IP address were to change again in the future, your email will continue to work properly without you having to change your email client settings. It is also very clear where your settings are pointing to, as something like mail.YourDomain.com is much easier to remember and associate than an IP address, which is simply a string of up to 12 digits.

However, i
... See more
Dear Patricia,

There are a couple of reasons to use your domain name instead of the IP address. One is that if the IP address were to change again in the future, your email will continue to work properly without you having to change your email client settings. It is also very clear where your settings are pointing to, as something like mail.YourDomain.com is much easier to remember and associate than an IP address, which is simply a string of up to 12 digits.

However, if your domain is still not connecting properly, there is really no problem with continuing to use the IP address instead. Your IP address will not change in the foreseeable future, and if it were to, you would be notified beforehand.

Once again, your domain name will work properly shortly.

Best regards,
Matt Petrowski
ProZ.com staff
Collapse

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hosted websites are accessible by domain only Aug 9, 2009

Kevin Pfeiffer wrote:

Putting in the IP address that DNS lookup returns (66.193.29.152) -- note that this is not the same address as the one he sent us -- I can now access the mail server, but of course the web site, which relies on host names, is now presently offline.

Since multiple accounts share the same IP address, trying to access your website at http://66.193.29.152 will not work. The IP address will work for accessing your email because you are giving more specific information in addition (your username and password).

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I put my domain name back in and now I can't get any e-mail Aug 9, 2009

Matt,

Please help me out here. I didn't use the IP address to access my web site. In THunderbird, I replaced mail.patriciarosas.net with the IP address you sent to me. I was able to get and send mail.

Now, I've replaced the IP address with mail.patriciarosas.net for all my e-mail addresses, and once again, I can't get e-mail.

Thanks,
Patricia

ckatsidonis
ckatsidonis  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Sites and e-mails still not working correctly Aug 10, 2009

Dear All,

I have some sites hosted with Proz's Hosting service but they are inaccessible although it's been quite a few hours since the scheduled maintenance. My e-mails also behave in an erratic fashion (sometime fetched, sometimes not)... Does anybody else still have problems?

Cheers,

Charalambos

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I'm not some lone coyote ... Aug 10, 2009

Polymathe wrote:

Dear All,

I have some sites hosted with Proz's Hosting service but they are inaccessible although it's been quite a few hours since the scheduled maintenance. My e-mails also behave in an erratic fashion (sometime fetched, sometimes not)... Does anybody else still have problems?

Cheers,

Charalambos

Thank you, Charalambos, for letting me know that I'm not just a loser nerd who doesn't understand the geek-speak (I am trying!). My e-mail works, but only if I put the IP address in the server box. My web site is erratic....

I know Matt has done exactly what he thought he needed to do, but I hope he'll reach the hand of the Almighty down here and help us poor plebs out!

Patricia

Brandon Wood
Brandon Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:48
Japanese to English
+ ...
Still not fetching mail... Aug 10, 2009

My wife and I (both using e-mails from my hosting account) are still unable to fetch or send e-mail through Outlook. I logged in using the webmail and sent my wife an e-mail to her account through that, and she received it fine, but through Outlook whenever I try to send an e-mail nothing happens.

Now I have no idea if a file that I needed to submit to a client before this morning went through as I sent it last night right as the maintenance ended.

This needs to be reso
... See more
My wife and I (both using e-mails from my hosting account) are still unable to fetch or send e-mail through Outlook. I logged in using the webmail and sent my wife an e-mail to her account through that, and she received it fine, but through Outlook whenever I try to send an e-mail nothing happens.

Now I have no idea if a file that I needed to submit to a client before this morning went through as I sent it last night right as the maintenance ended.

This needs to be resolved quickly.

I have tried putting in the new IP address into Outlook but that doesn't work either, so I don't know what to do. Either way, I'm sending e-mail through my ISP's mail server when sending mail in Outlook, not through my ProZ.com hosted e-mail, so I don't know why sending mail is not working. I haven't changed any other settings though, so it must be a problem on ProZ.com's side.

UPDATE:

Okay, now I know that sending mail is working because I tried sending to my Hotmail account and it works fine. So basically if I send the mail through Outlook to a ProZ.com hosted e-mail I own, it doesn't work, but anywhere else it does. However, if I send the mail through ProZ.com's webmail, I can actually receive the mail at my ProZ.com hosted e-mail. Does this mean that I have lost all e-mail that was sent to me at my ProZ.com hosted e-mail since last night?

[Edited at 2009-08-10 05:09 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Kevin Pfeiffer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Wrong IP address?? Aug 10, 2009

Matt Petrowski wrote:
Since multiple accounts share the same IP address, trying to access your website at http://66.193.29.152 will not work. The IP address will work for accessing your email because you are giving more specific information in addition (your username and password).

Dear Mr. Petrowski,

Typing http://66.193.29.152 into the browser gives me the default cPanel/Apache web page. Typing the address you gave us in your original mail (http://66.193.29.154) produces a blank. DNS Lookup for my site gives me the .152 address. Are you certain that this is correct? If we are being hosted on .152 and you entered .154 into the DNS record, then we will still be sitting here a week later waiting...

It's Monday morning here in Europe, a business day, and our web site is still offline ("no such domain name"). Needless to say, I am not pleased. (And next time would appreciate having at least one business day's warning about such planned updates or maintenance).

Best wishes from Berlin,

K. Pfeiffer

[Edited at 2009-08-10 05:55 GMT]

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:48
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same boat Aug 10, 2009

My website is also inaccessible ("cannot find server"), Outlook cannot retrieve my email, I can't log in to webmail and several test messages sent from my account via my blackberry have failed.

Please provide clear instructions of what to do to fix this!

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Russian
my website is still not working too Aug 10, 2009

Hi Guys!

My website is also inaccessible and email does now really work.
Support ticket submitted

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hosting problems - (staff: "Fixed")

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »