https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_hosting/134732-my_website_cannot_be_recalled_through_google_search.html&phpv_redirected=1

My website cannot be recalled through Google search
Thread poster: Giuliana Mafrica
Giuliana Mafrica
Giuliana Mafrica  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:36
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 11, 2009

I created my website with ProZ hosting on 31. May, but it cannot still be recalled through Google search by typing the keywords specified during website creation procedure. Instead, the same keywords only link to my ProZ profile and Kudoz questions/answers.
However, the website is active, since I can open it by typing the exact URL.
Is there anything that I can do to fix this issue?
Thanks in advance.
Giuliana

[Modificato alle 2009-05-11 08:58 GMT]

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:36
French to English
+ ...
Doesn't sound too alarming or surprising May 11, 2009

If I understand you rightly, you're saying you created a new page a week ago and you can't see any evidence of it being indexed on Google. That doesn't sound too alarming.

Getting a new page indexed at all on Google can take a little while in the first place. Getting it to be high enough up in search results to be visible can require considerable effort.

As a first step, I'd recommend installing Google Toolbar:
... See more
If I understand you rightly, you're saying you created a new page a week ago and you can't see any evidence of it being indexed on Google. That doesn't sound too alarming.

Getting a new page indexed at all on Google can take a little while in the first place. Getting it to be high enough up in search results to be visible can require considerable effort.

As a first step, I'd recommend installing Google Toolbar:

http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/FT5/intl/es/index.html

This will tell you the page rank of your page (or indeed, any page you visit). If the page rank is 0, then Google hasn't indexed it yet. (Page rank is only a small part of the ordering of search results, but having a non-zero page rank is as far as I'm aware a criterion for being included at all.)

If you're able to install it on the page, Google Webmaster tools can also help you by telling you how your page is doing in search results for different terms. It also tells you explicitly whether your page is being included in Google's database or not.

In the meantime, make sure that your profile links to the new page, and if possible get links to your page from a few other web sites/blog postings.

[Edited at 2009-05-11 09:34 GMT]
Collapse

Logitope
Logitope  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 13:36
English to German
Links May 11, 2009

Does a link to your page exist on the web (don't know how proz.com hosting works)? If so, the Google spider should find it pretty quickly (if not, place one). However, even if your page has been indexed by Google, it is not unlikely that your profile page will show higher up because the proz.com site is ranked highly by Google for keywords such as "translation" etc.

Ulrich

... See more
Does a link to your page exist on the web (don't know how proz.com hosting works)? If so, the Google spider should find it pretty quickly (if not, place one). However, even if your page has been indexed by Google, it is not unlikely that your profile page will show higher up because the proz.com site is ranked highly by Google for keywords such as "translation" etc.

Ulrich

--
Logitope Translation Services
http://www.logitope.com
Tel. +86-24-85584175
Fax. +86-27-85584756
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:36
Russian to English
+ ...
Support request May 11, 2009

I think you need to file a support request to the ProZ staff.

Giuliana Mafrica
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was March, not May May 11, 2009

My mistake: the website creation was on 31. March, not May.
Anyway, I'll submit a support ticket.

Giuliana Mafrica
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No improvements yet Mar 31, 2010

A year has passed, and still my ProZ-hosted website does not appear in Google search results. If I type my name or one of the keywords that I had specified in my website for Google spiders, the only results displayed point to my ProZ profile page or Kudoz answers.
I've given up hope! I'm afraid that noone will ever see my website, unless I give the exact URL.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Tips to boost your website traffic Mar 31, 2010

Hello Giuliana,

Note that ProZ.com does not control search engines indexing. However, there are a few strategies that could help you boost your website traffic.

You may start by linking to your website from other places on the Internet, such as from your ProZ.com profile, as search engines work by following links to other pages and sites, and indexing the content found there. Indexing by cross-linking may take s
... See more
Hello Giuliana,

Note that ProZ.com does not control search engines indexing. However, there are a few strategies that could help you boost your website traffic.

You may start by linking to your website from other places on the Internet, such as from your ProZ.com profile, as search engines work by following links to other pages and sites, and indexing the content found there. Indexing by cross-linking may take some time, but since your ProZ.com profile has existed for much longer and is linked to from several places throughout the site (KudoZ, forums, directory, etc.), search engines should be able to index your new website and show it as part of search results.

In the case of Google, you may also try by sending them your website URL. Every time Google updates their indexes, they add and update websites URLs. Though they do not guarantee that your URL will be added immediately, you could give it a try. Send your website URL to Google here.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:36
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
It tales a lot of work to interest the search spiders Mar 31, 2010

Having a website show up on Google search results is an SEO art that companies spend millions on. It might not be the best strategy to depend on for business, as it requires constant attention and constant fresh content to keep the spiders interested. That's why your ProZ and kudoz pages show up - the ProZ.com site is constantly refreshed with new content and the spiders keep coming back to see what's new. On the other hand, your website is a good place to direct people to, through your email... See more
Having a website show up on Google search results is an SEO art that companies spend millions on. It might not be the best strategy to depend on for business, as it requires constant attention and constant fresh content to keep the spiders interested. That's why your ProZ and kudoz pages show up - the ProZ.com site is constantly refreshed with new content and the spiders keep coming back to see what's new. On the other hand, your website is a good place to direct people to, through your email signature, ProZ profile page and other methods of contact. It replaces or complements brochures and business cards, etc.Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Why don't you post your URL here? Mar 31, 2010

This may not help you. My motives are selfish. I'm curious to see the websites of ProZ members hosted by ProZ. Forgive my ignorance, but is there some way to browse member's websites, just as we can browse profiles, without having a specific URL?

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
My website cannot be recalled through Google search Apr 1, 2010

Giuliana Mafrica wrote:

I created my website with ProZ hosting on 31. May, but it cannot still be recalled through Google search by typing the keywords specified during website creation procedure. Instead, the same keywords only link to my ProZ profile and Kudoz questions/answers.
However, the website is active, since I can open it by typing the exact URL.
Is there anything that I can do to fix this issue?
Thanks in advance.
Giuliana

[Modificato alle 2009-05-11 08:58 GMT]

It will take some time until spiders will discover your page. But, I guess you should do at least two things between all others that have already been said:

a) inscribe your page at DMOZ. This is the "human directory" were Google was born and it still give preference to human made directories and specially to this one.

b) submit yourself your URL to Google's Index

c) try to follow all the tips given by Google to improve the possibility to be indexed

[Editado a las 2010-04-01 08:31 GMT]

Sarah Ferrara
Sarah Ferrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Profile links set to NOFOLLOW Apr 1, 2010

Lucia wrote:

Hello Giuliana,

You may start by linking to your website from other places on the Internet, such as from your ProZ.com profile, as search engines work by following links to other pages and sites, and indexing the content found there. Indexing by cross-linking may take some time, but since your ProZ.com profile has existed for much longer and is linked to from several places throughout the site (KudoZ, forums, directory, etc.), search engines should be able to index your new website and show it as part of search results.

Kind regards,

Lucia

Lucia,
This would be wonderful but the links on Proz.com profiles are "nofollow" links. The Proz.com code is specifically set to instruct google NOT to follow and index these links. While this is not the reason for Giuliana's difficulties getting her site indexed, it would be helpful for us to at least be able to make the most of a link from our Proz profiles. If the Proz.com developers are using the nofollow attribute in an attempt to contain PageRank, note that this is no longer the case: Google still leaks pagerank through nofollow links (this is their attempt to combat manipulative pagerank sculpting), so Proz doesn't gain anything by keeping the member website links as nofollow.

Could you look into this and see about removing the nofollow instruction from profile pages?

Thank you.

[Edited at 2010-04-01 10:27 GMT]

Sarah Ferrara
Sarah Ferrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
SEO Apr 1, 2010

Giuliana Mafrica wrote:

A year has passed, and still my ProZ-hosted website does not appear in Google search results. If I type my name or one of the keywords that I had specified in my website for Google spiders, the only results displayed point to my ProZ profile page or Kudoz answers.
I've given up hope! I'm afraid that noone will ever see my website, unless I give the exact URL.

Giuliana
as someone else has mentioned on this thread, SEO (search engine optimization) is big business, some people make a living just working on this aspect of online marketing for websites. There are many things you can do, though, you certainly don't have to pay someone to do it for you. I have a blog with online marketing tips for translators, at http://internetmarketingfortranslators.com. I try to come out with an article around every week or so, not all about SEO but I'll be coming out with some more SEO tips soon.

Sarah

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
The keys of indexing (référencement in French) Jun 2, 2010

Hi,
Difficult to explain that in English for me.
The keys for indexing (to be found by the robots) are the META tags.
These chains of descriptive words must be placed between the < HEAD > and < /HEAD > tags of your site.
If there are no metas, your site won't be indexed.

Whatever is your language, search for explanations in your own language on any technical site (preferably for beginners) similar to the French "01NET.com" or "Clubic.com" sites.
... See more
Hi,
Difficult to explain that in English for me.
The keys for indexing (to be found by the robots) are the META tags.
These chains of descriptive words must be placed between the < HEAD > and < /HEAD > tags of your site.
If there are no metas, your site won't be indexed.

Whatever is your language, search for explanations in your own language on any technical site (preferably for beginners) similar to the French "01NET.com" or "Clubic.com" sites.
I'm sure they exist in your language.
Good luck
Catherine

[Edited at 2010-06-02 20:22 GMT]

PS : I'm obliged to introduce spaces between the < and > signs and the word head, otherwise the ProZ system does interpret the tags as real html tags Normally, you must not introduce spaces.

[Edited at 2010-06-02 20:25 GMT]
Collapse

Giuliana Mafrica
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll keep trying... Jun 3, 2010

Thanks you to all of you; I'll keep trying to implement all your suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My website cannot be recalled through Google search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »