https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_hosting/134687-php_update.html&phpv_redirected=1

PHP update
Thread poster: EHI (X)
EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 02:47
May 10, 2009

I would like to use several Joomla extensions, but they require PHP 5. Any chance ProZ could update sometime?

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Joomla! May 10, 2009

It is *sometimes* possible to activate php5 with adding a line in the .htaccess file.
I have sites elsewhere too, and in one case the code is
SetEnv PHP_VER 5
(in the .htaccess)

I see that you have been able to install Joomla! @ proz.com but there's one more point to consider: the room is limited (100 Mb unless you have purchased the 250 Mb upgrade) and the space used by your email is taken on this. The logs are also taking a lot of place if you don't clean them re
... See more
It is *sometimes* possible to activate php5 with adding a line in the .htaccess file.
I have sites elsewhere too, and in one case the code is
SetEnv PHP_VER 5
(in the .htaccess)

I see that you have been able to install Joomla! @ proz.com but there's one more point to consider: the room is limited (100 Mb unless you have purchased the 250 Mb upgrade) and the space used by your email is taken on this. The logs are also taking a lot of place if you don't clean them regularly. Plus backups kept on the server etc.
I have tried some time ago but the space was much too cramped, and I finally used Wordpress for my translation website hosted @ proz.com (it's much lighter) - while I'm happily using Joomla! for some other sites hosted elsewhere.

Florence
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Florence May 10, 2009

Unfortuantely it did not help.

Yes, you're right, space is a bit of problem.
I stripped everything I could from Joomla and am currently left with about 40 MB.
I'll have to see how that works out.
Wordpress certainly seems a good alternative.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PHP update

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »