Thread poster: Adam Warren
Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:40
Member (2005)
French to English
Feb 13, 2009

I run Mozilla Thunderbird on Windows, which I prefer to Outlook. Must I install the latter in order to handle mail to my hosted website?

If I can continue using Thunderbird, could I please be pointed to the relevant configuring information?

To conclude, I should like to say how appreciative I am of the prompt attention to the recent support request concerning my website.

With kind regards,... See more
I run Mozilla Thunderbird on Windows, which I prefer to Outlook. Must I install the latter in order to handle mail to my hosted website?

If I can continue using Thunderbird, could I please be pointed to the relevant configuring information?

To conclude, I should like to say how appreciative I am of the prompt attention to the recent support request concerning my website.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - 41189)
Collapse

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Stay with Thunderbird Feb 13, 2009

See here:
http://products.secureserver.net/email/email_thunderbird.htm

Ask your host for configuration info.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:40
English to French
+ ...
Asking your host for configuration info Feb 13, 2009

I did that as well - I had my reasons to prefer other software to Outlook. My ISP replied that support was only offered for Microsoft products! I tried a lot of things, and I never managed to get my e-mail account to work under Thunderbird. So, now I'm stuck with Outlook.

Another problem that may prevent you from using a different e-mail client is that software editors still seem to think that Outlook is a universal standard and they write software for Outlook (although it seems tha
... See more
I did that as well - I had my reasons to prefer other software to Outlook. My ISP replied that support was only offered for Microsoft products! I tried a lot of things, and I never managed to get my e-mail account to work under Thunderbird. So, now I'm stuck with Outlook.

Another problem that may prevent you from using a different e-mail client is that software editors still seem to think that Outlook is a universal standard and they write software for Outlook (although it seems that Thunderbird is now somewhat present in software developers' minds). I have found several very useful applications and add-ons - but they only work with Outlook, for the most part. So, again, I have to use Outlook. Nelson Email Organizer ( www.caelo.com - awesome for keeping on top of e-mail) is one such piece of software. I am extremely happy with it, but it is only compatible with Outlook.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:40
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thunderbird is fine, stick with it Feb 13, 2009

I have my website hosted here,on ProZ, and my email as well.
I am a happy user of Thunderbird, no problem.
The configuration is not tricky at all, I use POP.
I would give you the settings, but they depend on your chosen domain name and email account name.
I am sure ProZ tech support can tell you the settings, if not, send me a note.
Katalin

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:40
Member (2005)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Katalin, Viktoria and Spiros Feb 13, 2009

I'm actually very happy with Thunderbird too. I managed to configure it to take mail from my ISP, but I am a little floored by the transition to my ProZ-hosted e-mail site.

I guess I'd better tinker around with the Thunderbird instructions to which Spiros very kindly gave me the link. I've pasted the bookmark to them on my Firefox toolbar.

If I can't singlehandedly fix the mail using Thunderbird, I daresay I can get that hardworking ProZ Support team to give me a hand.
... See more
I'm actually very happy with Thunderbird too. I managed to configure it to take mail from my ISP, but I am a little floored by the transition to my ProZ-hosted e-mail site.

I guess I'd better tinker around with the Thunderbird instructions to which Spiros very kindly gave me the link. I've pasted the bookmark to them on my Firefox toolbar.

If I can't singlehandedly fix the mail using Thunderbird, I daresay I can get that hardworking ProZ Support team to give me a hand. They've been not only kind and helpful, but prompt.

Have a good weekend, all of you and again, thank you.

With kind regards,

Adam.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

e-mail client: is Outlook inevitable?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »