Can someone recommend me a domain name provider that has IMAP (USA)
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:21
Spanish
+ ...
Sep 4, 2008

My domain name is about to expire but I don't want to renew because my email provider/domain name doesn't support IMAP for free, I'd have to pay $30 extra dollars. Since I use ProZ's hosting service, I bought a domain name somewhere else but everything is hosted through ProZ. I actually submit a support ticket back in June asking about IMAP and ProZ's domain name provider, but I never received an answer. Anybody knows if ProZ's domain name service supports IMAP? I'm really confused.

... See more
My domain name is about to expire but I don't want to renew because my email provider/domain name doesn't support IMAP for free, I'd have to pay $30 extra dollars. Since I use ProZ's hosting service, I bought a domain name somewhere else but everything is hosted through ProZ. I actually submit a support ticket back in June asking about IMAP and ProZ's domain name provider, but I never received an answer. Anybody knows if ProZ's domain name service supports IMAP? I'm really confused.

Additionally, I'd like to know about other options. I know that I'd have to buy my domain name anyway. Can somebody recommend me a good domain name provider, with good tech support, that also supports IMAP, preferably in the United States and that's not too expensive.

Thanks,

Claudia
Collapse

tenkyuu (X)
tenkyuu (X)
Indonesia
Local time: 17:21
Indonesian to English
+ ...
COMPARISON OF DOMAIN NAME PROVIDERS Sep 4, 2008

I explored the virtual world for a while and found this interesting link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_webmail_providers

Hope you like it.

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Domain names Sep 4, 2008

Thank you but what I'm looking for is a domain name provider not just the email providers. As far as I know, when you buy a domain name, you also get at least one email account.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 11:21
German
+ ...
Actually... Sep 4, 2008

Technically speaking, the domain name is just that - a name.

So all you get when you register a domain name with a domain name registration company like VeriSign is that name and the option of entering your own server addresses for web servers, e-mail servers, FTP servers etc. in their domain name registry.

Example: the e-mail server 207.127.117.39 is entered in the domain nam
... See more
Technically speaking, the domain name is just that - a name.

So all you get when you register a domain name with a domain name registration company like VeriSign is that name and the option of entering your own server addresses for web servers, e-mail servers, FTP servers etc. in their domain name registry.

Example: the e-mail server 207.127.117.39 is entered in the domain name registry as the host mx1 in the domain proz.com as registered with GoDaddy.com Inc.

What you seem to have in mind is a hosting package, where you get a domain name, maybe a web server and one or more e-mail accounts.

Many companies act as resellers for domain names - they conduct the actual domain registration business with companies like VeriSign and bundle the domain names registered in your name with matching servers, e-mail services etc. for your perusal so you don't have to organize all that by yourself.

It seems that GoDaddy.com offers both the registration and the ancillary services, so you might want to check them out. Also, I hear you can just register domains via ProZ.com and get e-mail etc. to boot.

HTH
Benjamin

P.S.: As for the remainder of your question, ProZ.com do seem to offer IMAP access to mailboxes hosted by them (it says IMAP, POP, Webmail, and SMTP on the page I quoted above.)

[Edited at 2008-09-04 20:02]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Weird! Sep 4, 2008

Thanks Benjamin. Actually, that's what I thought but...

When I registered my name, I did do it through GoDaddy. Now, I use ProZ's hosting services, so I had to modify the mx thing you mentioned; I send a support ticket to ProZ and they did it. But since my emails are hosted in ProZ and ProZ email supports IMAP, I assumed I could just use IMAP. However, when I called GoDaddy, they said it doesn't work that way, that I had to pay extra for IMAP.

I also sent a support tick
... See more
Thanks Benjamin. Actually, that's what I thought but...

When I registered my name, I did do it through GoDaddy. Now, I use ProZ's hosting services, so I had to modify the mx thing you mentioned; I send a support ticket to ProZ and they did it. But since my emails are hosted in ProZ and ProZ email supports IMAP, I assumed I could just use IMAP. However, when I called GoDaddy, they said it doesn't work that way, that I had to pay extra for IMAP.

I also sent a support ticket to ProZ, but ProZ's Hosting support sucks, I'm still waiting for an answer since June.
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Then why don't you register your domain via ProZ.com? Sep 4, 2008

Hi Claudia,
My experience with domains (I have several of them) is that the best deal is always via hosting service. Things like IMAP you arrange through hosting, not a registrar. Domain name at ProZ.com is just 10$ per year (and as a member you have a hosting with IMAP and everything for free). Difficult to find better deal, really.
And in case if you decide to change hosting: transfer of the domain takes just a few cliks.

HTH,
Magda

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Well... Sep 4, 2008

I'd recommend you to just transfer the domain to ProZ.com altogether. You'll need to put in a request for that with GoDaddy.com AND ProZ.com. It seems like you're still halfway with GoDaddy.com and only halfway with ProZ.com.

It seems the problem is somewhere in the triangle between Proz.com, GoDaddy and yourself. By taking out one of the pieces, you should be able to untangle this mess. Plus, you can just transfer the domain to another provider later if you want (barring any contra
... See more
I'd recommend you to just transfer the domain to ProZ.com altogether. You'll need to put in a request for that with GoDaddy.com AND ProZ.com. It seems like you're still halfway with GoDaddy.com and only halfway with ProZ.com.

It seems the problem is somewhere in the triangle between Proz.com, GoDaddy and yourself. By taking out one of the pieces, you should be able to untangle this mess. Plus, you can just transfer the domain to another provider later if you want (barring any contractual agreements to the contrary of course - I haven't read the fine print of ProZ.com hosting.)

Oh, Magda just beat me to it. So - what she said.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess I'd have to Sep 4, 2008

I thought that ProZ's domain registration was done with a third-party provider. So I thought, I might as well find one, and GoDaddy has a great customer support, 24/7 toll-free number, that's basically the reason I chose GoDaddy.

Edit: How rude of me. I forgot to thank you both. Thanks!

[Edited at 2008-09-04 20:52]

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Google Apps: IMAP, 7gb of storage and my own domain Sep 7, 2008

It turns out that 'Google Apps' lets you manage and store your own email via Gmail. So now my [email protected] has free IMAP and 7Gb of storage!

I'll be writing an article about it soon.

[Edited at 2008-09-07 19:42]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can someone recommend me a domain name provider that has IMAP (USA)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »