Germany conference 2007 - Wordfast training session (30 Nov)
Thread poster: David Daduč
David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:51
English to Czech
Jul 29, 2007

Hi all, this thread is the right place to discuss questions and expectations regarding the Wordfast training session that will take place on 30 November 2007 in Dortmund.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-06-15 21:11 GMT]

Melinda Reidinger
Melinda Reidinger
Czech Republic
Czech to English
Why Wordfast? Aug 7, 2007

Hello David,

I am a Czech-into-English translator living in the C.R. So far, I have gotten along without CAT tools, but a friend has been urging me to get started with Trados. Since all of this software is a "spanelska vesnice" for me I thought I'd have a look at the training programs organized through ProZ. It seems like there are more Wordfast than Trados courses being offered. Can you tell me whether Wordfast is a better program, and if so, why?

Thanks a lot.
... See more
Hello David,

I am a Czech-into-English translator living in the C.R. So far, I have gotten along without CAT tools, but a friend has been urging me to get started with Trados. Since all of this software is a "spanelska vesnice" for me I thought I'd have a look at the training programs organized through ProZ. It seems like there are more Wordfast than Trados courses being offered. Can you tell me whether Wordfast is a better program, and if so, why?

Thanks a lot.
Melinda
Collapse

Seamus Moran
Seamus Moran
Ireland
Local time: 12:51
German to English
+ ...
Will i be able to use it Aug 30, 2007

Hi David, i'm just wondering if i complete the training session will i then be able to start to use Wordfast with my translations and does it basically do the same job as Trados?

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Will the session take place (no attendees yet ) ? Sep 25, 2007

Hi David,

I am a basic user of Wordfast, using only the main features and I think I could improve my technique.
So I am interested in the training session on 30/11.

Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart
Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:51
English to German
+ ...
I am wondering the same as nordiste... Nov 14, 2007

Will the session take place - there are only two bookings so far...

Thanks
Katharina

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The situation is not very convenient, I must admit Nov 14, 2007

But after having spoken with David, the session will take place even with so few attendees.
We have expected (hoped for) more attendees both for training sessions and the conference itself, but now we have to arrange to thigs how they come to be.
The Wordfast session, the Across session and SDL Trados Advanced will take place even with very few attendees, however the SDL Trados for beginners is still depending on some more registrants.

Jerzy

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
The session is going to take place Nov 18, 2007

Yes, as Jerzy said, the session is going to take place. I sincerely apologize for not having answered the questions asked in this forum before. My fault!

To briefly address the two initial questions: when you work with Wordfast, you can usually accomplish a Trados job, supposing the file to translate is a Word document. Wordfast generates an "uncleaned" document, which your client or colleague can clean up using Trados, updating their TM. Also, a Trados user can export their TM to T
... See more
Yes, as Jerzy said, the session is going to take place. I sincerely apologize for not having answered the questions asked in this forum before. My fault!

To briefly address the two initial questions: when you work with Wordfast, you can usually accomplish a Trados job, supposing the file to translate is a Word document. Wordfast generates an "uncleaned" document, which your client or colleague can clean up using Trados, updating their TM. Also, a Trados user can export their TM to TMX for you and you will be able to use it in Wordfast (the same can be done the other way round, too). These two facts enable you to participate in many Trados workflows.

However, Trados agencies may sometimes want you to translate TTX (Trados TagEditor) files and you cannot do this using Wordfast. You can translate many types of source documents like PowerPoint or Excel files with Wordfast but Trados agencies often convert them into TTX files and want to have these translated.

Wordfast has many advantages over its competitors - and not just its favourable price and licensing conditions. Wordfast fully integrates into MS Word, so you don't need to run any other application, import/export documents, or deal with tags in standard Word documents. Wordfast offers easy-to-use and efficient terminology management - anyway, you'll practise using it and much more during the session.

If you want to know more, don't hesitate to ask - I promise I'll answer your questions as soon as possible.
Collapse

Sabine Doerfler
Sabine Doerfler
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Newbie Nov 25, 2007

Hi David,

I have only just purchased Wordfast in a ProZ.com group buy - and I'm not even sure if I've installed it correctly ... My laptop is also new ... sSo I would very much like to come to the training in Dortmund.

As I teach in the mornings, I have to do a little shifting around before Friday, so please let me know if anything changes, ok? Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers, Sabine

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No planed changes Nov 25, 2007

The training should start at scheduled time in Hotel Tryp, Dortmund, Emil-Figge-Str. 41.
The only change to the programme is, that Dvid Daduc performs the session and Yves Champollion will not be present on Friday. Yves is coming to the conference and will do the WF presentation there. For reasons I don't know and understand the conference page will not let me modify the session accordingly.

Should you need any travelling information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
... See more
The training should start at scheduled time in Hotel Tryp, Dortmund, Emil-Figge-Str. 41.
The only change to the programme is, that Dvid Daduc performs the session and Yves Champollion will not be present on Friday. Yves is coming to the conference and will do the WF presentation there. For reasons I don't know and understand the conference page will not let me modify the session accordingly.

Should you need any travelling information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Germany conference 2007 - Wordfast training session (30 Nov)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »