Hugo Urrestarazu (X)
Hugo Urrestarazu (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 18, 2009

Conférence régionale, Nice 2009:

Je voudrais connaître la politique de rémunération des collègues qui se proposent comme conférenciers, formateurs ou animateurs de cet événement. Ceci, pour décider de consacrer du temps, ou pas du tout, à la préparation d'une présentation qui me tient à coeur. J’ai envie de partager quelques réflexions sur la "Problèmes posées par la traduction scientifique et technique selon les différentes variantes actuelles de l'espagnol" (en
... See more
Conférence régionale, Nice 2009:

Je voudrais connaître la politique de rémunération des collègues qui se proposent comme conférenciers, formateurs ou animateurs de cet événement. Ceci, pour décider de consacrer du temps, ou pas du tout, à la préparation d'une présentation qui me tient à coeur. J’ai envie de partager quelques réflexions sur la "Problèmes posées par la traduction scientifique et technique selon les différentes variantes actuelles de l'espagnol" (en d’autres termes, sur les différences de jargons techniques en Espagne et Amérique Latine). Mais cela me prendra un TEMPS non négligeable de préparation...
Collapse

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
...j'ai envie... Apr 20, 2009

... J’ai envie de partager...

So it's for pleasure to show/share your knowledge...
Or is it a way to make money and expand your horizons, business activities...
Even if you don't make a lot of money, will this boost your translation /writing business..?
Are you willing to travel to venues to share your knowledge?,
is anybody willing to listen to it? (and more important willing to pay for it?).
Maybe a document will suffice....

So many qu
... See more
... J’ai envie de partager...

So it's for pleasure to show/share your knowledge...
Or is it a way to make money and expand your horizons, business activities...
Even if you don't make a lot of money, will this boost your translation /writing business..?
Are you willing to travel to venues to share your knowledge?,
is anybody willing to listen to it? (and more important willing to pay for it?).
Maybe a document will suffice....

So many questions....

---
Ed
Collapse

Hugo Urrestarazu (X)
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is always a pleasure to share experiences Apr 20, 2009

Well, for me it is always a pleasure to share experiences (not just knowledge) through live conversations with colleagues.
The freelance activity is a solitary endeavor and does not provide many opportunities, after all. I am not seeking to boost business nor make extra money by this, but to enrich my practice (and eventually other's).
But unfortunately, nowadays I can't afford to spend time for free in preparing a sensible paper or presentation worth of interest for other colleagu
... See more
Well, for me it is always a pleasure to share experiences (not just knowledge) through live conversations with colleagues.
The freelance activity is a solitary endeavor and does not provide many opportunities, after all. I am not seeking to boost business nor make extra money by this, but to enrich my practice (and eventually other's).
But unfortunately, nowadays I can't afford to spend time for free in preparing a sensible paper or presentation worth of interest for other colleagues at a conference. My priority is that I need most of my time to work hard and earn a living. I still have to decide if I can afford 300 or 400 Euros just to attend the conference.
To the questions :
"Are you willing to travel to venues to share your knowledge?", I would say yes, but I would put it rather this way: to travel to make encounters and share experiences. Knowledge emerges from sharing experiences and I am willing to do an effort to make sensible encounters possible.
"is anybody willing to listen to it?", Who knows? The only answer is feedback
"and more important willing to pay for it?" I am not asking attendees to pay for a conference, but organizers to tell me if they have sought to finance the contributions as part of the event's budget.
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Sorry Jun 4, 2009

Dear Hugo,

Thanks for your post and sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

All presenters will be compensated for their time. We are aiming to make this event highly professional with quality training workshops. We even have people coming in from outside the translation industry to give us some insights about business development.

For right now, we are asking potential speakers to submit a brief proposal of a training workshop with learning objectives, a
... See more
Dear Hugo,

Thanks for your post and sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

All presenters will be compensated for their time. We are aiming to make this event highly professional with quality training workshops. We even have people coming in from outside the translation industry to give us some insights about business development.

For right now, we are asking potential speakers to submit a brief proposal of a training workshop with learning objectives, audience, duration (1.5 or 3 hours). This shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

In short, don't spend too much time writing up a proposal. You'll want to spend time preparing your workshop once it has been accepted and we've negotiated compensation!

Best,

John
Collapse

Hugo Urrestarazu (X)
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks John for your feedback Jun 4, 2009

John

Your answer is quite clear. In the next weeks I will make my mind up on whether attending the conference or not. I am afraid that potential upcoming projects, if held, will leave me little extra time for preparing a contribution. Anyway, I will tell you soon.

Regards
Hugo Urrestarazu

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Rémunération de conférenciers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »