Discussion about 2014 annual ProZ.com translation contest: "Celebrations" in Spanish to English - Entry #16483

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com contests - discussion of individual entries » "Discussion about 2014 annual ProZ.com translation contest: "Celebrations" in Spanish to English - Entry #16483".
You can see the ProZ.com contests - discussion of individual entries page and participate in this discussion from there.

James Peel
James Peel  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:53
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Congratulations! Nov 14, 2014

Many congratulations to acaja - after a somewhat dubious process, I am so pleased that the correct entry won this contest - a really good rendition of the text which reads very well and is faithful to the original. Good job!

Emma Martinez
Emma Martinez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:53
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
Blasted mention of Quevedo! Nov 27, 2014

Congratulations on winning! I share jamespeel's doubts about the validity of the process, but what the hey, competitions are ever thus!

That blasted reference to Quevedo still doesn't seem right to me, even in this winning translation. Surely if the writer were referring to Quevedo he would have written 'para pegarlo', and not 'para pegarles' which clearly refers to the plural?

The original doesn't say that Quevedo arrived at that party either, which would have been imposs
... See more
Congratulations on winning! I share jamespeel's doubts about the validity of the process, but what the hey, competitions are ever thus!

That blasted reference to Quevedo still doesn't seem right to me, even in this winning translation. Surely if the writer were referring to Quevedo he would have written 'para pegarlo', and not 'para pegarles' which clearly refers to the plural?

The original doesn't say that Quevedo arrived at that party either, which would have been impossible anyway since he was dead before Larra was born! The text says 'que se parecía de noche', it does not say 'que apareció de noche'- neither does it say que 'apareció esa noche' which would suit the winning entry ......

The temptation to take the reference to be about Quevedo being beaten up is hard to resist, but has nothing whatsoever to do with the story line, other than the historical fact that Quevedo wore cloaks similar to the 'domino' of the carnaval. It seemed more likely to me, after researching the piece and the history of the writer that this referred to how the party goers were mostly intent on the immoral hunt for casual sleeping partners and thus risked being beaten up by innumerable cuckolded husbands.

Also, in the short dialogue: "he doesn't suspect a thing" it makes more sense to assume that "como era posible" means "how could he?", referring to a possible future (the husband couldn't suspect anything because he thought he'd left his wife home alone, and yet she's right there, disguised and with another man). "Como es posible" could be translated as "how could that be", and changes the meaning of the exchange.

A very difficult text, given the historic period and the style of the writer and the removing from context of the whole thing.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion about 2014 annual ProZ.com translation contest: "Celebrations" in Spanish to English - Entry #16483

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »