Thread poster: kilgore
kilgore
kilgore
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:40
English to Italian
May 15, 2013

Hi,

I am new on the website, so I apologize if this question has already been made and answered but I couldn't find it.

I am an Italian citizen and I have a contact here in the UK to work as a translator on casual basis for an agency. I have been living here for a couple of months now.

I understand that I don't need a VAT number, but I should register as a self-employed at HMRC for the tax returns - is it correct?

Is there anything else I hav
... See more
Hi,

I am new on the website, so I apologize if this question has already been made and answered but I couldn't find it.

I am an Italian citizen and I have a contact here in the UK to work as a translator on casual basis for an agency. I have been living here for a couple of months now.

I understand that I don't need a VAT number, but I should register as a self-employed at HMRC for the tax returns - is it correct?

Is there anything else I have to do/be aware about?

Thanks for everyone who could answer!
Collapse

Encarnación Macarena Villa Cubas
Encarnación Macarena Villa Cubas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
UK tax rules May 15, 2013

Dear Kilgore

You definitely need to get yourself registered with the HMRC as self employed in order to get your unique tax number for tax returns purposes.

With regards to the VAT number, the general rule is that you have to register for VAT when your taxable supplies in the previous 12 months has exceeded the registration threshold of £79,000, including the value of supplies, especially if you are going to trade with other European countries.

But there
... See more
Dear Kilgore

You definitely need to get yourself registered with the HMRC as self employed in order to get your unique tax number for tax returns purposes.

With regards to the VAT number, the general rule is that you have to register for VAT when your taxable supplies in the previous 12 months has exceeded the registration threshold of £79,000, including the value of supplies, especially if you are going to trade with other European countries.

But there are some rules you need to be aware of and are provided at

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm

Hope this helps
Collapse

kilgore
kilgore
United Kingdom
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 15, 2013

Thank you Encarnacion!

You've been very helpful! I'll have a look at that link and I will register online with the HMRC.

Have you registred online perhaps? Is it long or complicated?

Thanks again!

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:40
Danish to English
+ ...
Try the Translation in the UK forum May 15, 2013

Hi Kilgore

I would recommend that you have a look at the Translation in the UK forum here at ProZ.com. There are many very interesting and helpful discussions there about starting out as a translator in the UK, including lots of details about registering with the HMRC etc.

kilgore
kilgore
United Kingdom
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
I will look that too May 15, 2013

Okay then, thank you Gitte!

Now I will try to browse that section as well.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Self-employed translator in UK

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »