Montreal conference 2007 - General Discussion
Thread poster: Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:11
English to German
May 15, 2007

Dear All,

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of any issues relating to the regional ProZ.com Conference in Montreal not covered by the Program Suggestions, Accommodation and Travel forums.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-06-15 23:09 GMT]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:11
German to English
+ ...
More languages? May 23, 2007

It would be nice next time to have a N. American regional conference that includes languages other than just French & English. Or will presentations be accepted for the Montreal conference concerning other language combinations as well?

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
conference languages May 24, 2007

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

It would be nice next time to have a N. American regional conference that includes languages other than just French & English. Or will presentations be accepted for the Montreal conference concerning other language combinations as well?

Dear Daina

Thanks for your message.

The main language for regional conferences is the official language of the country where the conference takes place, the second language is English as it's the main language of the ProZ.com community.

Since English and French are both official languages in Canada, they both get equal billing.

Presentations in other languages would require interpreting to enable participation in such a session. However, at this point, it is not clear if interpreting services will be provided

What other language/language combination and session topic were you thinking of?

Rebekka

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
Something like the ATA topical conferences? May 24, 2007

At the ATA topical conferences there there are sessions in various languages and concerning various language combinations. For example, at the financial translation conference a few years ago, sessions were available in English, German, French, etc. depending on what the speaker's topic was. I was able to attend sessions on Ger>Eng and Eng>Ger translation issues, as well as Eng sessions on general topics.

I think what I'm asking is whether the sessions will exclusively focus on Fren
... See more
At the ATA topical conferences there there are sessions in various languages and concerning various language combinations. For example, at the financial translation conference a few years ago, sessions were available in English, German, French, etc. depending on what the speaker's topic was. I was able to attend sessions on Ger>Eng and Eng>Ger translation issues, as well as Eng sessions on general topics.

I think what I'm asking is whether the sessions will exclusively focus on French>English, English>French-related translation issues or if the topics will be general translation and business issues in either English or French. If the latter is true, then a wider audience will be able to participate (including me!) and that would solve my problem!

The reason I brought it up was that I (and probably many other N. American translators) find it difficult to pop over to Europe for just a few days for family/work, etc. reasons. It would be great to attend this conference closer to home.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
PS Dates? May 24, 2007

I forgot my other question - are the dates set for this conf? I searched around the site, but couldn't find that information.

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
conference and session language May 24, 2007

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

I think what I'm asking is whether the sessions will exclusively focus on French>English, English>French-related translation issues or if the topics will be general translation and business issues in either English or French. If the latter is true, then a wider audience will be able to participate (including me!) and that would solve my problem!

The reason I brought it up was that I (and probably many other N. American translators) find it difficult to pop over to Europe for just a few days for family/work, etc. reasons. It would be great to attend this conference closer to home.

No, the sessions will not exclusively focus on translating EN-FR/FR-EN - though some might focus on local issues incl. language - but the conference languages are French and English , i. e. sessions are held in either French or English. This does not mean there couldn't be a session on the problems of translating poems from Russian into Canadian French (for example) so long as there were enough people interested in attending that particular session. If not, it may make more sense to have a session on translating Russian poetry in general but with examples from the presenter's working language combination.

Does this answer your question at all? If not, please keep asking - wel'll get there in the end

And I do hope you're considering coming to this conference in Montreal.

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
dates still to be confirmed May 24, 2007

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

I forgot my other question - are the dates set for this conf? I searched around the site, but couldn't find that information.

Dates are still to be confirmed - there's a notice in big bold red letters on the site but perhaps it's not obvious enough :S

We really just wanted to start spreading the word about the conference even without having dates and venue finalised.

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
Thanks! May 24, 2007

Yes, that answers my language questions.

Where are the big bold red letters? I don't see them! Funny!

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
dates to be confirmed May 25, 2007

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

Where are the big bold red letters? I don't see them! Funny!

Below the photo it reads:

CES DATES SONT PROVISOIRES ET POURRAIENT CHANGER!

THESE DATES ARE TENTATIVE AND WILL PROBABLY CHANGE!

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
Strange May 29, 2007

I really can't find the photo and captions you are talking about. I see dates listed under "Community - Conferences" but I don't see any photos or ads for the regional conferences on the home page or in banners or anywhere. I am using Firefox, so maybe it's blocking something? This might be important if I'm not the only one who cannot see the ads.

Hervé du Verle
Hervé du Verle  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:11
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Firefox May 29, 2007

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

I really can't find the photo and captions you are talking about. I see dates listed under "Community - Conferences" but I don't see any photos or ads for the regional conferences on the home page or in banners or anywhere. I am using Firefox, so maybe it's blocking something?

Firefox is not the problem. I just checked the conference page is fully displayed on both MacOs and XP platforms. Could this be an anti-virus software trick?

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
please check conference website May 29, 2007

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

I really can't find the photo and captions you are talking about. I see dates listed under "Community - Conferences" but I don't see any photos or ads for the regional conferences on the home page or in banners or anywhere. I am using Firefox, so maybe it's blocking something? This might be important if I'm not the only one who cannot see the ads.

Dear Daina

All that information can be found on the website for the Montreal conference at http://www.proz.com/conference/11

HTH

Rebekka

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
Thanks, Rebekka! May 30, 2007

I see it now.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:11
English to French
+ ...
Skills Jul 25, 2007

Rebekka Gross wrote:

Presentations in other languages would require interpreting

Could they still be accommodated if they are language-specific? I myself am content with English and French, but if there is, say, a rather large community of people who translate from/to Spanish in Montreal, and if there is room for them in the programme, why not?

I would like more skill-oriented presentations than there usually is. There are many tools and skillsets we can use in our work - it would be nice to learn about them. I think the recent initiative to regularly include CAT tool training in the programme (I believe this was Jerzy Czopik's instigation) is great - but I'm ready to learn more about, for example, using a computer right and leveraging its capacities. A presentation on word processing would also be nice. Macros, fonts, assembling a computer that is tuned for translation, different software that is available that can help our work (a lot of good freeware out there), search engine optimization - much is there to learn.

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
ATA continuing education points Jul 31, 2007

Dear All

I intend to apply for ATA members to receive continuing education points for attending the ProZ.com conference in Montreal and/or the CAT tool training sessions (Wordfast 5 for Beginners and Cours d'initiation à SDL Trados) offered in conjunction with this conference. I'll keep you posted on any developments.

ATA members can earn continuing education points as follows:

Attending a conference can earn up to 10 points per event and 1 point pe
... See more
Dear All

I intend to apply for ATA members to receive continuing education points for attending the ProZ.com conference in Montreal and/or the CAT tool training sessions (Wordfast 5 for Beginners and Cours d'initiation à SDL Trados) offered in conjunction with this conference. I'll keep you posted on any developments.

ATA members can earn continuing education points as follows:

Attending a conference can earn up to 10 points per event and 1 point per hour for attending translation/interpreting seminars and workshops.

CAT tool trainings can earn 1 point per hour for attending with a maximum of 5
points earned in this area in a 3-year reporting period.

For full details, please see the relevant information on the ATA website.

Regards

Rebekka
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Montreal conference 2007 - General Discussion

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »