Weird characters in KudoZ answers (Japanese)
Thread poster: Philip Ronan
Philip Ronan
Philip Ronan
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:16
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jan 15, 2003

It seems to be happening a lot these days -- you type in an answer to a KudoZ question, and when it appears on the web page under the original question, some of the characters are mangled for no apparent reason. I used to think this was because my typing needs to improve, but perhaps not...

Take a look at http://www.proz.com/kudoz/343021 for example. Two dfferent responders have both typed in the s
... See more
It seems to be happening a lot these days -- you type in an answer to a KudoZ question, and when it appears on the web page under the original question, some of the characters are mangled for no apparent reason. I used to think this was because my typing needs to improve, but perhaps not...

Take a look at http://www.proz.com/kudoz/343021 for example. Two dfferent responders have both typed in the same word (the Japanese for \"software\") and ended up with exactly the same garbage characters. This suggests to me that the problem is with the server.

Can someone look into it please?
Collapse

Philip Ronan
Philip Ronan
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:16
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem seems to occur at backslashes Jan 15, 2003

I just looked at the page again in a Western font encoding. Apparently the server has converted the characters \"ƒ\\ƒt\" into \"ƒƒt\", i.e. the backslash (\"\\\") has been ignored. Perhaps this is being treated as a character literal (a la Javascript etc.).

Definitely a server problem

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 09:16
English to Japanese
+ ...
possible to lead to confusion in the forum Jun 8, 2003

I'm concerning about the exactly same problem. For example, in this recent Japanese forum (http://www.proz.com/topic/11619), a person is questioning about the payment issue to be clarified and hope to get advice. while yes, there still happen the undesirable character conversions here and there. If it's a neglegible part, I don't care so much and leave it to the readers' inferring the right Japanese ter... See more
I'm concerning about the exactly same problem. For example, in this recent Japanese forum (http://www.proz.com/topic/11619), a person is questioning about the payment issue to be clarified and hope to get advice. while yes, there still happen the undesirable character conversions here and there. If it's a neglegible part, I don't care so much and leave it to the readers' inferring the right Japanese terms, or sometimes I re-type to make it clear (fail at times!), however I find really undesirable cases where certain crucial terms have been garbled and changed into something like mis-types. It's certainly a pity to find these character conversions when I seriously talk and make replies to seriously asking askers in the Japanese form. It may even mislead the asker or general reader to confusion and mis-understanding, so I wonder if it's not adjusted in some ways. I don't know this is peculiar to the Japanese forum, and not to other Asian forums like Chinese.

Hope a good work on this aspect from the ProZ team.

-MK
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weird characters in KudoZ answers (Japanese)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »