WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS 'BUGS FORUM' IF PROZ.COM STAFF TAKE NO NOTICE OF IT?
Thread poster: Stuart Allsop
Stuart Allsop
Stuart Allsop  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 4, 2006

Maybe I'm under a major misconception here, but I thought that the purpose of this "bugs forum" was so that we could report bugs. One would assume that reporting bugs on the bugs forum is so that the Proz.com staff can act on those reports, fix the bugs, and reply here.

After all, that would seem to be the logical purpose of a bugs forum...

Yet, taking a look at the statistics of this forum, it would appear that this just isn't the case at all:

Of the
... See more
Maybe I'm under a major misconception here, but I thought that the purpose of this "bugs forum" was so that we could report bugs. One would assume that reporting bugs on the bugs forum is so that the Proz.com staff can act on those reports, fix the bugs, and reply here.

After all, that would seem to be the logical purpose of a bugs forum...

Yet, taking a look at the statistics of this forum, it would appear that this just isn't the case at all:

Of the most recent 50 bug reports, there has been NO RESPONSE AT ALL to 24 of them! Just look at the "replies" column, and count the bug reports that got a big fat "zero" replies. (And I'm not even considering the bug reports where the only reply is from someone who said something like "Yeah, that happened to me too". I am merely counting the bug reports that got NO response AT ALL.)

Conclusion: at least 50% of bug reports are totally ignored by Proz.com staff. That's a pretty poor rate.

Could it be that the ACTUAL purpose of this "bugs forum" is not to act as a forum fo reporting bugs, but rather to act as a pacifier, so that we can sound off about the problems we find and feel much better afterwards, but not actually expect any action to be taken?

Could it be that the support staff is way too busy implementing new features that nobody ever asked for, to be bothered about fixing the old ones that are broken?

[Edited at 2006-07-04 19:56]
Collapse

M.A.B.
M.A.B.
Poland
Local time: 14:16
English to Polish
+ ...
IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THEY DON'T CARE?? Jul 4, 2006

There are people who pay for this site. How come it is so buggy? What do they pay for? I've been thinking about joining to support the site, but it seems I'd better reconsider it... What's the point in paying for the site that doesn't do what it should?? Hey, staff, are you there? We've been posting topics about bugs!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Bug reports are amassed here... Jul 4, 2006

... and processed in batches.

You make a good point, though. I will assign someone to monitor this forum and reply to posts.

Nahun Silva (X)
Nahun Silva (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:16
zzz Test Language (1) to zzz Test Language (2)
I'm taking over Jul 4, 2006

Hi

I'm gonna be monitoring this forum daily from now on and I'll try to fix all the bugs reported.

Thanks for your patience.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
bugs Jul 4, 2006

MaciejB wrote:

There are people who pay for this site. How come it is so buggy?

I don't think it's "so buggy". It does have bugs and that's because it's software, not magic.

There are people who pay for this site.
t do they pay for? [/quote]
I am a paying member, and I don't think I need other users to speak on my behalf, I can do that for myself and frankly I'm very happy with ProZ staff's hard work. I've reported a lot of bugs via support rerquests and they have all been fixed. There was no staff member assigned to this forum, but there is now, so bugs reported here will be addressed more quickly. And I think Henry was very quick in responding, don't you think? On the 4th of July too, which is a holiday in the US

As for what members pay for, here's the site map: http://www.proz.com/sitemap
Plenty of information there to answer your question.

What's the point in paying for the site that doesn't do what it should??

Let's not generalize. Do you really think the site is not doing what it should? I find your words very harsh and inaccurate.

Maria

Stuart Allsop
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 4, 2006

Henry wrote:

... and processed in batches.

You make a good point, though. I will assign someone to monitor this forum and reply to posts.

Thank you Henry! Much appreciated.

Stuart Allsop
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 4, 2006

Nahun Silva wrote:

Hi

I'm gonna be monitoring this forum daily from now on and I'll try to fix all the bugs reported.

Thanks for your patience.

Hi Nahun. Thanks! Most of these bugs are not show-stoppers, but they ARE annoying. Especially with the Term search feature that keeps on ignoring terms that absolutely ARE in the data base, while at the same time returning "matches" that don't actually match...

Stuart

M.A.B.
M.A.B.
Poland
Local time: 14:16
English to Polish
+ ...
Not "so buggy", but... Jul 4, 2006

Ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit, but I still claim that there ARE bugs, in particular in term search, taking into account my own experience and what I find on this forum. My post was supposed to provoke some reaction, but not to offend anyone or speak on somebody's behalf... Excuse me for that.
Hope that all the bugs will be fixed and, what could be more important, the staff will manage to read posts about these bugs!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS 'BUGS FORUM' IF PROZ.COM STAFF TAKE NO NOTICE OF IT?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »