Proz pages very slow to open
Thread poster: Armorel Young
Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:12
German to English
Nov 29, 2005

Although I have a fast broadband connection, over the last couple of months my use of Proz has been grinding to a halt because pages take forever to open, often fail to open at all (I just get a blank white window), or sometimes the whole site is "unobtainable". For some time I thought that the site itself was repeatedly going down, but then I'd get back onto it and find that dozens of questions had been posted while I couldn't access it, so other people clearly hadn't had a problem. Going throu... See more
Although I have a fast broadband connection, over the last couple of months my use of Proz has been grinding to a halt because pages take forever to open, often fail to open at all (I just get a blank white window), or sometimes the whole site is "unobtainable". For some time I thought that the site itself was repeatedly going down, but then I'd get back onto it and find that dozens of questions had been posted while I couldn't access it, so other people clearly hadn't had a problem. Going through Proz questions has become a trial because it's often taking up to half a minute for a new window to open. The baffling thing is that the problem is only affeting my use of Proz - my use of Google and other sites is as fast as ever. I have repeatedly cleaned up my computer and searched for spyware and viruses, but found nothing. The problem is driving me up the wall as I normally use Proz constantly, so any help with this mystifying problem will be gratefully received.Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
question Nov 29, 2005

Is Kudoz toolbar installed in your PC?

Walter

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
No, it's not Nov 29, 2005

No it's not, Walter (or not that I'm aware of

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
3 more Q Nov 29, 2005

1. Maybe some other toolbar in your PC, i.e. Yahoo toolbar?
2. What antivirus software do you have? is it updated?
3. What antispyware software do you have? is it updated?

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
3 more A Nov 29, 2005

Thanks for taking an interest.

1. No toolbars other than than the standard Windows ones.

2. I'm running Norton Internet Security/Norton AntiVirus (not sure which version but it was the current one when purchased earlier this year). It updates itself automatically.

3. I run Spybot Search & Destroy fairly regularly,.

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
more Nov 29, 2005

Norton should be configured to update every day. Try a general scanning of the whole system now.
Your antispayware is ok. You may try - just in case- Lavasof Ad-Aware, free version. Sometimes one finds something the other disregards. I also have both.
Try a scandisk and a defrag, too. It should be fine then.There are Registry cleaners softwares, but let`s skip them so far.
Good luck.

[Edited at 2005-11-29 13:52]

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
My reply was returned Dec 6, 2005

You sent me a private email with some questions about this topic. I answered immediatley, twice, and my reply was returned to me twice. Anyway, this is what I said:
> It really puzzles me. I really don`t know what else to do. I`d suggest you
> to call a technician and place a support ticket at Proz, both.
>
> Keep me updated, please.
================================================
Good luck,

Walter...
See more
You sent me a private email with some questions about this topic. I answered immediatley, twice, and my reply was returned to me twice. Anyway, this is what I said:
> It really puzzles me. I really don`t know what else to do. I`d suggest you
> to call a technician and place a support ticket at Proz, both.
>
> Keep me updated, please.
================================================
Good luck,

Walter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz pages very slow to open

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »