KudoZ Search forbidden to non-Plats (except 1 combination)
Thread poster: Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
Italian to German
Apr 4, 2005

Hi, I found KudoZ Search set to Italian-German and wanted to search a word German-Italian. But even words I know are in the glossary are not found because apparently the old parameters are reset in the very moment I press "enter". And saving KudoZ Search settings is allowed to Platinum members only. Please help!

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
Georgian to English
+ ...
kudos search problem Apr 4, 2005

Martin Schmurr wrote:

Hi, I found KudoZ Search set to Italian-German and wanted to search a word German-Italian. But even words I know are in the glossary are not found because apparently the old parameters are reset in the very moment I press "enter". And saving KudoZ Search settings is allowed to Platinum members only. Please help!

Hello Martin,

I was able to go to Kudos search (main menu, kudos, kudos search) and set it to German=-Italian and then Italian=-German after, testing as a non-Plat. I didn't do a proper search for questions, because these aren't my languages, so I didn't prove that all the questions are there, but I did pick up It/De questions with '*' in them. Although the language pair selected might not save for the next time, it should be possible to set the language pair.
Another way would be to go to kudos questions, and select "Italian to German" and the term you are looking for (you can use "more languages" if necessary (there is a small button at the bottom to switch between "basic mode" and "advanced mode" which gives more options)).

I don't know if any of this helps you, but just in case.

[Edited at 2005-04-04 20:57]

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
TOPIC STARTER
actually I meant Glossary Search Apr 5, 2005

(maybe a mod changed it?). So I change my question: What's the difference between Glossary Search and KudoZ Search? I've always used Glossary Search for looking for terms I wanted to translate.
Thanks!

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Hi Martin, Apr 5, 2005

Martin Schmurr wrote:

(maybe a mod changed it?). So I change my question: What's the difference between Glossary Search and KudoZ Search? I've always used Glossary Search for looking for terms I wanted to translate.
Thanks!

I have logged out and tried many language combinations both in Kudoz and Glossary, had no problems. May I suggest you submit a support request?

AFAIK, with the Glossary Search you can get to the terms entered in glossaries, while Kudoz Search displays previously asked Kudoz terms -you can select to display closed, edited, or otherwise- entered in the glossaries or not.

Hope this helps

P.S. When the title of a forum message is edited, a message is shown on the post: Title edited by staff or moderator. Yours is not changed, as far as I can see.

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
Georgian to English
+ ...
From experiment Apr 6, 2005

Martin Schmurr wrote:

Thanks!

At present, seemingly

Search Glossaries,

searches for terms (3 characters or more), in kudos questions (where an entry has been made in the kudos glossary) and/or personal glossaries (most language pairs, select pair)

Kudos Search

searches for terms (1 character or more), in kudos questions only (most language pairs, categories can be selected).

Both these seemed to be able to select It/De for me.

Kudos Glossaries

from kudos questions in some language pairs (where entered into the gloss), displayed differently (select pair).

If you mean "did a mod change what the buttons do" - not us, that's the role of the technical staff, but I think you are right that there have been changes.

[Edited at 2005-04-18 08:20]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ Search forbidden to non-Plats (except 1 combination)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »