Thread poster: Sol
Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 12, 2004

In some pages, like the KudoZ questions page where there are fields with choices to fill in the information such as Language, etc. (the ones with the little arrow), those fields stay on top when opening one of the drop down menus (Home, KudoZ, Jobs, Directory, Community...) hidding some of the items in the menu.

Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HELLOOOOO!!!! Jun 6, 2004

Am I the only one bothered by this?

Can anyone acknowledge you already knew about this bug, or that my reporting it brought it to your attention, or that it is to hard, difficult or expensive to fix... even a "we don't care would do!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:32
English to German
+ ...
Submit a Support Request Jun 6, 2004

Hi Sol,
I suggest you submit a Support Request, using the site function (go to Support).

Best regards, Ralf

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:32
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
It is in the list of things to fix Jun 6, 2004

Sol wrote:
...Can anyone acknowledge you already knew about this bug, or that my reporting it brought it to your attention, or that it is to hard, difficult or expensive to fix...

Hi Sol,

Thank you for your reminder. The bug is well known and hot in the list of things to fix.
I assume that it has not yet been fixed because it is not trivial, or there may be technical problems within the site structure/code.

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 08:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bug on the way to be fixed yet? Oct 14, 2004

Hi, I was going to post something about this, had my post all written (see below) and then I noticed Sol had already mentioned it.

I decided to post this anyway, because the last reply was 4 months ago.

Just to bring it to your attention anyway

===============================================================

On the main KudoZ page, the options that appear after clicking the pull-
... See more
Hi, I was going to post something about this, had my post all written (see below) and then I noticed Sol had already mentioned it.

I decided to post this anyway, because the last reply was 4 months ago.

Just to bring it to your attention anyway

===============================================================

On the main KudoZ page, the options that appear after clicking the pull-down menus for the titles in the title bar (Home|KudoZ|Jobs|Directory, etc.) cannot be seen when these options are in the way of the Languages/Field box (which is right underneath the green title "KudoZ(tm) Term Questions".

This Languages/Field box also has pull-down menus, so they sort of conflict each other (?).

What I mean is, whenever I click on, for example, "KudoZ", on the title bar, I cannot click on the "KudoZ Search" option (right between "Search Glossaries" and "Internet Search") in the pull-down menu, because the "Fields" pull-down menu is on top of it. So the little hand icon for selecting "KudoZ Search" does not appear.

Does anyone else experience this problem? This has probably been raised before, I have no idea...

I'm using MS Internet Explorer 6.0 with SP2 for Windows XP.

It's a minor nuisance, but a nuisance nonetheless...

Thanks.
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:32
German to English
+ ...
It's still there Jan 7, 2005

Hi Sol,

Thank you for your reminder. The bug is well known and hot in the list of things to fix.
I assume that it has not yet been fixed because it is not trivial, or there may be technical problems within the site structure/code.

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team

That bug is still there on 7 Jan 2005. To my recollection it's been there for months, and means that some items on the drop-down menus are simply impossible to reach. (Or is there another way of (a) seeing their titles, and (b) reaching them?)
Oliver

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
How to reach covered drop-down menu items Jan 7, 2005

Oliver Walter wrote:
That bug is still there on 7 Jan 2005. To my recollection it's been there for months, and means that some items on the drop-down menus are simply impossible to reach. (Or is there another way of (a) seeing their titles, and (b) reaching them?)

Hi Oliver,

If you can't reach a drop-down menu item because it is covered by a form element, click the menu item to go to that section's main page. The sub-menu (identical to the drop-down in the main menu) will appear on the left side of the page.

This is a low-priority issue to fix, because it is caused by a bug in Internet Explorer that I hope Microsoft will fix in subsequent releases, and implementing workarounds for the bug are non-trivial.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:32
German to English
+ ...
Thanks, and I just realised... Jan 7, 2005

Jason Grimes wrote:
If you can't reach a drop-down menu item because it is covered by a form element, click the menu item to go to that section's main page. The sub-menu (identical to the drop-down in the main menu) will appear on the left side of the page.

This is a low-priority issue to fix, because it is caused by a bug in Internet Explorer that I hope Microsoft will fix in subsequent releases, and implementing workarounds for the bug are non-trivial.

Jason

Thanks for the help, Jason; I hadn't noticed that it was so simple. Also, I just realised (3 minutes ago) that another way around it is to go first to a page that doesn't contain a drop-down box; then the menu won't hide part of itself behind it.

I'm not surprised that it's a Microsoft bug and needs a workaround: I'm sure we are very grateful to Microsoft for producing so much software with lots of useful features but also "grateful" (I don't think!) for having so many bugs, leaks, unchecked buffers etc.
Oliver

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:32
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
I had just reported it again... Feb 21, 2005

...when I saw it was an outstanding issue.

The problem, I think, is that the ActiveX control (that's the pull-down menu) has it's properties set to be "always on top" and therefore OVER the menu. If you change this property, that should solve the issue.

Even if it's a low priority fix, that should be pretty easy to sort out...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fields covering drop down menus

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »