I'm highly disappointed with ProZ.com forums policy (staff: 'No advertising in ProZ.com forums')
Thread poster: Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 17:55
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
May 6, 2004

Hi folks,

On April 25 while browsing the net I found a very interesting music website with superb and highly innovative layout. I was so impressed that I decided to share my finding with colleagues at ProZ.com. It would be a nice thing for a weekend. I wrote a message called "Musicplasma.com: How to find new artists playing the music you like" and sent it to the Translator Resources forum marking it as 'Off-Topic' (i.e. more play than work).

I made a screenshot to illu
... See more
Hi folks,

On April 25 while browsing the net I found a very interesting music website with superb and highly innovative layout. I was so impressed that I decided to share my finding with colleagues at ProZ.com. It would be a nice thing for a weekend. I wrote a message called "Musicplasma.com: How to find new artists playing the music you like" and sent it to the Translator Resources forum marking it as 'Off-Topic' (i.e. more play than work).

I made a screenshot to illustrate my post, spent time, efforts... but
everything was just down the pan as my post never appeared in the forum.

Ten days passed and on May 5 I published another forum message enquiring why my post about that music website didn't appear. I got a forum response from somebody called Jason (he's supposedly from the ProZ.com staff) saying that it was he who deleted my post even before it saw the light. He also stated in his response that my post was pure advertising and not translation-related. Besides that he apologized for the fact that he neglected to notify me about his actions.

In my forum reply to him I said that I considered his accusations somewhat abusive and explained why they were ungrounded.

But unfortunately that was not the end. Today to my greatest surprise and indignation I noticed that that thread has also silently been deleted. You can check yourself: http://www.proz.com/topic/20937 And again I haven't received any notification or whatever about that. Just silence. I have no idea who did it and why. It seems it is customary practice at ProZ.com.

I believe such actions of ProZ.com staff are disgraceful, they are impolite and indecent.

If I don't receive explanations from ProZ.com staff and public apologies from that Jason for his public ungrounded accusations I will never again post anything in Translator Resources forum. Why shall I spend my time and efforts for nothing and in addition to that hear unfair accusations instead of thanks?

Regards,
Nikita Kobrin
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:55
SITE FOUNDER
I deleted the thread because you broke your promise not to advertise May 7, 2004

Nikita,

The music link was not the problem (though it was not relevant to ProZ.com, a translation workplace.)

The problem is that you promised to stop advertising, and you broke that promise--twice. There was absolutely no reason for you to put a link to a competitive site in the music thread and in your profile. You have provided links to that site no fewer than 10 times.

Advertising is not allowed in the ProZ.com forums. I am suspending your membership a
... See more
Nikita,

The music link was not the problem (though it was not relevant to ProZ.com, a translation workplace.)

The problem is that you promised to stop advertising, and you broke that promise--twice. There was absolutely no reason for you to put a link to a competitive site in the music thread and in your profile. You have provided links to that site no fewer than 10 times.

Advertising is not allowed in the ProZ.com forums. I am suspending your membership and removing this thread.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm highly disappointed with ProZ.com forums policy (staff: 'No advertising in ProZ.com forums')

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »