Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:52
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
May 4, 2004

Hi Henry, Jason,

I don't know exactly if this issue has already been raised: The overview appearing after clicking on the KudoZ tab in profiles features only the ten most current questions/answers, which results in a huge number of page links displayed above and below the entries (at least in the case of members who asked and/or answered a significant number of KudoZ). IIRC this had been displayed much more conveniently before (some 50 or 100 questions/answers appearing on each scre
... See more
Hi Henry, Jason,

I don't know exactly if this issue has already been raised: The overview appearing after clicking on the KudoZ tab in profiles features only the ten most current questions/answers, which results in a huge number of page links displayed above and below the entries (at least in the case of members who asked and/or answered a significant number of KudoZ). IIRC this had been displayed much more conveniently before (some 50 or 100 questions/answers appearing on each screen).

How about some re-programming, guys?

MTIA,
Steffen

[Edited at 2004-05-04 14:27]
Collapse

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Wow, Steffen is right! May 4, 2004

I just took a look at my profile and Kudoz answered, and Steffen is right, it is quite an unwieldy piece of work. There is most likely a reason behind it. Can you please explain the reason for having changed the format? Thanks!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Steffen, Gayle - May 4, 2004

your KudoZ tabs look just fine - but what about mine?

leff
leff  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
In memoriam
Natalie May 4, 2004

Natalie wrote:
your KudoZ tabs look just fine - but what about mine?

Your KudoZ tabs looks fine too - just look at Gilles

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:52
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
It was better before May 4, 2004

10 lines per page is too inconvinient. As Steffen says, 50 or 100 were much better.

Steffen Walter wrote:
The overview appearing after clicking on the KudoZ tab in profiles features only the ten most current questions/answers... IIRC this had been displayed much more conveniently before (some 50 or 100 questions/answers appearing on each screen).

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Ha-ha-ha!!! May 4, 2004

leff wrote:
Your KudoZ tabs looks fine too - just look at Gilles

Gilles has 1815 pages of answered questions!

Unless Jason reverts the former format, I stop answering questions!

[Edited at 2004-05-04 19:29]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:52
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Mixture of encodings May 4, 2004

Another thing about the display under the profile KudoZ tab is that you may have to switch encoding to read them. Of my ten, eight are in Cyrillic (Windows-1251); in this setting, the two others are unreadable. To read them I have to change encoding to Unicode UTF-8, which makes the other eight unreadable. Will we ever reach a situation in which everything on the site is automatically displayed in its correct encoding?

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
new format looks terrible May 5, 2004

I agree with the other comments, the new format is very inconvenient and looks terrible. I would also like to see it changed back to the way it was.

Thanks
Cindy

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
hear, hear! May 5, 2004

I wasn't going to say anything but since someone has started the ball rolling, I have to admit that not only do I not like the new format, I also find it distinctly inferior to its predecessor. Change for change's sake?

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Is there a moderator in the house? May 5, 2004

I just noticed that the bottom of this page says that there is no moderator assigned to this forum. Are we exchanging in empty space? I hope that someone will notice us...
Is anybody there? Yoohoo...

[Edited at 2004-05-05 08:21]

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:52
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Bug in the Forum Bugs May 5, 2004

Gayle Wallimann wrote:

I just noticed that the bottom of this page says that there is no moderator assigned to this forum. Are we exchanging in empty space? I hope that someone will notice us...
Is anybody there? Yoohoo...

Hi Gayle,
the moderator assigned to this forum is Henry (Site Founder). For some reason his name doesn't appear at the bottom of this page.

It could be by design or a bug. I don't kwow, but I will ask the programmer to check this detail.
In other forums everything seems ok...

Thank you for noticing it
bye
Gianfranco

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 13:52
SITE STAFF
New look for kudoz pager May 5, 2004

I've tweaked the pager to be a bit less unwieldy. Let me know if you find any bugs with it.

Jason

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's much better but ... May 5, 2004

... why does the screen still show only ten questions/answers per page? There used to be a higher number per screen before.

Steffen

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:52
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Compromise on 50, or make it available as a selection May 5, 2004

Steffen Walter wrote:

... why does the screen still show only ten questions/answers per page? There used to be a higher number per screen before.

Steffen

I guess this is to keep the page small and fast, and to decrease the demand on the database. The problem is that with only 10 questions, any search on the past questions becomes really difficult.

Ideally we should have an option, allowing the users to ask for 10 or 25-50-100 or maybe even 200 questions per page, on request only. Starting by default with only 10-25 items.

In case this is not possible, the page should load with a number somewhat more satisfactory, not only 10 items (too low) and not too high either.
A good compromise could be 50 items per page, with the possibility of browsing the pages using the new stylish paging solution.

I would also suggest to show a larger number of pages (not only the first 6).
For example, show direct access to the first 20 pages, so that we need to use the [Next] button only for further searches.

The final result would be a one-click access to the last 50x20 questions, and only a few cases would call for using the [Next] button.

Gianfranco

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unwieldy appearance of KudoZ list in members' profiles

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »