Ukraine
Local time: 09:12
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
The only problem is how to find a squashed question Oct 6, 2003

Dear Gianfranco,

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
this is not likely as the name of the member squashing a question is recorded alongside with the reason, that must be provided.

But Vera has shown us an example when there are neither a name nor a reason...

If the reason is not valid, the question can be un-squashed and the person unappropriately squashing can be stripped of the ability to squash.

True. The problem is: how to find it?

If right now I would squash any graded question which you won, say, a year before, you will lose points. Let's suppose you have even noticed it. What next? How are you going to seek for the question? It would take you days to find it!

And then more days, to get in touch with a moderator or the site support, to investigate the matter, etc. And it means weeks.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 02:12
SITE STAFF
Non-moderators can no longer squash graded questions Oct 6, 2003

Hello everyone,

Due to the potential for abuse that has been pointed out, non-moderators should no longer be able to squash KudoZ questions that have already been graded.

Regards,

jg

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Request more info about point total bug Oct 6, 2003

As Gianfranco and Claudia have pointed out, squashed KudoZ questions no longer count in your KudoZ point totals. I apologize that this took everyone by surprise--I should have made an announcement before making the change.

I may have missed a spot when I made the change--could someone please provide a link to the page where you are seeing that KudoZ points by category are not ignoring squashed questions?

Regards,

jg

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
More details Oct 6, 2003

Jason Grimes wrote:
I may have missed a spot when I made the change--could someone please provide a link to the page where you are seeing that KudoZ points by category are not ignoring squashed questions?

There is no direct link allowing to check it at once. I found this discrepancy doing the following:

- KudoZ Leaders, More->
- option "Click to search leaders by language pair and field"

Here I see my overall total in the left list.
Now it is the same as the sum total shown in Profile rectangle.

- then, in the same "Search KudoZ leaders by language pair and field" window, I've sorted standings one-by-one by each field (using "Field" pop-down switch). I've written down all eight sums of my points in each field, then calculated the sum total. It was different (exactly as it should be if squashed graded questions are "valid").

Hope it helps.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
KudoZ leaders point tally fixed Oct 6, 2003

Thank you for the detailed bug report, Kirill. The KudoZ leaders page should now show the same point totals as the rest of the site.

Regards,

jg

Vera Fluhr (X)
Vera Fluhr (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:12
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I repeat my question: Oct 6, 2003

Since yesterday, nobody answered to my question, therefore I have to repeat it.

Here is a squashed question:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=368515

As you can see, it has been squashed anonymously: neither a name nor a reason

I won this question but now it disappeared from my profile, and I lost the points.

Please look at the related glossary ent
... See more
Since yesterday, nobody answered to my question, therefore I have to repeat it.

Here is a squashed question:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=368515

As you can see, it has been squashed anonymously: neither a name nor a reason

I won this question but now it disappeared from my profile, and I lost the points.

Please look at the related glossary entry :
http://www.proz.com/?sp=gloss/term&id=835844&float=y

and explain me why the question was squashed.
Who squashed this question?
What for?

[Edited at 2003-10-06 23:47]
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Unable to review all previously squashed questions Oct 6, 2003

Dear Vera,

The question to which you refer was squashed before detailed records were kept. Just this once, I have unsquashed that one particular question. We are unable to review all previously squashed questions--you can imagine how much work that would be. But if you have a problem with a KudoZ question that is squashed in the future, please contact your language pair moderator.

Regards,

jg

Vera Fluhr (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I suggest : Oct 7, 2003

Jason Grimes wrote:
The question to which you refer was squashed before detailed records were kept.

Dear Jason, thank you for your answer.
I know this question was squashed in February.
But I asked : why it was squashed anonymously?
Why, in general, graded questions can be squashed anonymously?

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
…the name of the member squashing a question is recorded alongside with the reason, that must be provided. If the reason is not valid, the question can be un-squashed and the person inappropriately squashing can be stripped of the ability to squash.

But you can see that the name and reason are NOT always provided :
E.g., http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=368515

I think that anonymous squashing is a BUG and this bug must be fixed.

Another problem:
When a graded question is squashed, it seems very difficult to find it because it disappears from the profile.
Kirill Semenov wrote:
If right now I would squash any graded question which you won, say, a year before, you will lose points. Let's suppose you have even noticed it. What next? How are you going to seek for the question? It would take you days to find it!
And then more days, to get in touch with a moderator or the site support, to investigate the matter, etc. And it means weeks.

I suggest a simple solution: when a graded question is squashed, the Asker and the Winner must be NOTIFIED, and the reason and the name of the person squashing must be indicated in the notification.

I think it is not very complicate, from the technical point of view, and it will be very reasonable and useful for all the community.

Best regards
Vera Fluhr

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
No way to tell who squashed old questions Oct 7, 2003

Vera Fluhr wrote:
But I asked : why it was squashed anonymously?
Why, in general, graded questions can be squashed anonymously?
I think that anonymous squashing is a BUG and this bug must be fixed.

Vera,

This bug has been corrected for a while now. Unfortunately, there's no way to go back and tell who squashed older questions. But moving forward, this problem should no longer exist.

Regards,

jg

Vera Fluhr (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And what about notification? Oct 7, 2003

Thank you, Jason. Good news.

And what do you think about my suggestion (to notify the squashing to the Asker and to the Winner)?
Is it possible to include this feature into the system?

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Notifications Oct 10, 2003

Vera Fluhr wrote:
(to notify the squashing to the Asker and to the Winner)?

I agree with Vera, and I would say: to send a notification not only to the asker and the winner, but also to all the answerers.

Also, it would be really nice to notify answerers when:

- they answer is declined;
- the asker adds some additional information to his or her question.

The latter was avaliable in August, AFAIR, before the new kudoZ desing was implemented -- and the feature was really convenient ! Sometimes I add more context to my question, but without a notification answerers seem do not check the question anymore (or just rare).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz points have disappeared

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »