langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:26
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 10, 2003

I just wanted to report this bug.

This is the second time that this happened in short time. Something seems to swap our main e-mail address with the secondary one. Since we're using this address to share ProZ.com mails (and I don't get them when forwarded to the secondary address) It's a bit annoying...
(BTW: something or someone keeps inserting a triple "xxx" before the secondary e-mail address - seems strange to me)

Claudia

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Looks like the address "bounced"... Jul 11, 2003

Hi Claudia,
Without having checked with the ProZ.com techies, the "xxx" in front of the address would indicate that the mail server had problems delivering messages to your address, and therefore deactivated it (which, in turn, resulted in the swap of addresses, the secondary address becoming the primary one).

Are both addresses with the same ISP? If not, it's probably a good idea (1) to test if it's working properly and (2) to check with the relevant ISP if they're filtering
... See more
Hi Claudia,
Without having checked with the ProZ.com techies, the "xxx" in front of the address would indicate that the mail server had problems delivering messages to your address, and therefore deactivated it (which, in turn, resulted in the swap of addresses, the secondary address becoming the primary one).

Are both addresses with the same ISP? If not, it's probably a good idea (1) to test if it's working properly and (2) to check with the relevant ISP if they're filtering out and/or refusing emails from ProZ.com.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 16:26
SITE STAFF
Ralf is right, secondary is promoted when primary bounces Jul 11, 2003

Ralf is exactly right. When mail delivered to the primary email address bounces, we "deactivate" it by prepending 'xxx'. If a secondary address is available, we promote it to be the primary email address.

Your ISP's mail server periodically bounces mail we send to you with SMTP error 550: User unknown. Please contact your ISP's support department to resolve this problem.

Regards,

jg

langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for this information. Jul 11, 2003

I'll check with my ISP.

Grüße!

Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First and secondary e-mail address swapping on profile page

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »