Comments on KudoZ Beta Design (peer reply bug fixed)
Thread poster: Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 22:54
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2003

I have just briefly tried out the KudoZ Beta design, and noticed a bug straight away. When I tried to respond to someone's peer grade comment, nothing happened. I clicked on "Post and Send", and my response simply didn't show. So that needs fixing. I had to revert to the old design to make my response.

I also don't like the 255-word limit on added notes. This is too restrictive when you need to e.g. insert a fairly extensive quote or make a point that requires a fair amount of subst
... See more
I have just briefly tried out the KudoZ Beta design, and noticed a bug straight away. When I tried to respond to someone's peer grade comment, nothing happened. I clicked on "Post and Send", and my response simply didn't show. So that needs fixing. I had to revert to the old design to make my response.

I also don't like the 255-word limit on added notes. This is too restrictive when you need to e.g. insert a fairly extensive quote or make a point that requires a fair amount of substantiation.

However, one new feature I do like is the ability to edit peer grade comments. This will be great for those times when you hit the "Enter" button too soon, or when you want to change the type of grade.

I also like the way the number of agrees are shown so the asker can get an idea at a glance which answer is most likely to be right (although it's still a good idea to check the peer grades in detail).

In summary: the new design has much promise, but the inability to respond to peer grades (due to some bug or other) and the word limit on added notes are two serious flaws in my view. So for now I will be sticking with the old version, but look forward to trying out the Beta one again some time.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL
(WriteWord Translations)
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:54
English to German
+ ...
The limit on added notes is deliberate Jun 26, 2003

Hi Rowan,
I also don't like the 255-word limit on added notes. This is too restrictive when you need to e.g. insert a fairly extensive quote or make a point that requires a fair amount of substantiation.

This restriction is a deliberate one: the point is to discourage a strategy where a quick answer is given before that answer has been substantiated. If an answer requires extensive backup (which is ok, of course), it's best to provide that with the answer.

Best regards, Ralf

Rowan Morrell
New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bug Fixed Jun 26, 2003

I have just been trying out the KudoZ Beta design again, and it appears the bug I reported earlier has been fixed, as I am now able to respond to peer grades.

Speaking of which, I really like how you can respond to multiple peer grades at the same time. It certainly saves some time, being able to do that!

Another feature I like is showing how many questions askers have asked and answered. Until today, I was unaware of exactly how many KudoZ questions I'd answered, thoug
... See more
I have just been trying out the KudoZ Beta design again, and it appears the bug I reported earlier has been fixed, as I am now able to respond to peer grades.

Speaking of which, I really like how you can respond to multiple peer grades at the same time. It certainly saves some time, being able to do that!

Another feature I like is showing how many questions askers have asked and answered. Until today, I was unaware of exactly how many KudoZ questions I'd answered, though I knew how many I'd asked. Knowing how many open questions you have is also useful, although maybe a distinction should be made between open questions that you yourself haven't graded, and questions you've answered but haven't been graded.

Another suggestion for improvement is a bit more colour coding for the peer grades, as we now have in the standard version. "Disagrees" should go back to red, rather than being black like "neutrals". Also, responses to peer grades should either be a different colour or put into a box. I find that it's now harder to distinguish peer grades from responses than it was before, where grades were in black and responses in grey.

But overall, I think the new design is coming along really well, and might be making more use of it now that the bug I reported previously has been repaired.

One last thing before I close: thanks for your comments, Ralf. I see where you're coming from, but I still think there may be times when the word limit for added notes could pose problems. We'll see how it goes, I guess. However, I have reservations, even if the word limit helps give those who take the time to give a detailed answer a better chance of getting just reward for their efforts.

As I say though, overall I'm becoming a fast fan of the new KudoZ design, and with a few minor improvements as suggested above, it'll be awesome!

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL
(WriteWord Translations)
Collapse

Rowan Morrell
New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A Couple More Comments Jun 26, 2003

If I may.

I REALLY like the way answers are ranked according to the answerer's confidence plus peer grades. It will hopefully level out the playing field a bit more for those who take extra time to research their answers and substantiate them. Now if a good answer is given, it will hopfully get more "agrees" and go to the top of the rankings. People who answer first and give superficial responses no longer have an unfair advantage. It makes it a bit easier for the asker too, althoug
... See more
If I may.

I REALLY like the way answers are ranked according to the answerer's confidence plus peer grades. It will hopefully level out the playing field a bit more for those who take extra time to research their answers and substantiate them. Now if a good answer is given, it will hopfully get more "agrees" and go to the top of the rankings. People who answer first and give superficial responses no longer have an unfair advantage. It makes it a bit easier for the asker too, although one should still be a bit wary of answers that get agreed with because people are following the crowd.

One minus for me about the new design is no longer being able to click on the "Menu" button above an answer and go back to the Easy or Pro questions. Now you have no choice but to go to the Pro questions first, no matter what category the question you're answering is in. So I'd like to see that feature reinstated if possible.

Like I said before though, in general I'm fast becoming a fan of the new design.

Best Regards

ROWAN M.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comments on KudoZ Beta Design (peer reply bug fixed)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »