Norbert Reiter
Norbert Reiter  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 15:14
German to Danish
+ ...
Nov 26, 2009

Hello,

Joseph Dengler (Samarkand) sent me a pdf-file that might be of interest for some discussions on the conference.
You can download the summary of a report about the market for translations and the language industries her:

www.iti.org.uk/uploadedFiles/news/EU%20Executive%20summary.pdf

The market consolidation c
... See more
Hello,

Joseph Dengler (Samarkand) sent me a pdf-file that might be of interest for some discussions on the conference.
You can download the summary of a report about the market for translations and the language industries her:

www.iti.org.uk/uploadedFiles/news/EU%20Executive%20summary.pdf

The market consolidation continues. That means there will be enough jobs for us in the next years. But: "As a result, the currently fragmented nature of the language industry will continue to consolidate into larger commercial entities. Data shows that a smaller number of increasingly larger players seem to dominate the field with growing presence in Eastern Europe."

And by the way the weatherforcast for this weekend is pretty, although the temperatures will only reach 12 to 13 degrees.

norbert

[Bearbeitet am 2009-11-26 08:33 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
10 years too late Nov 26, 2009

Norbert Reiter wrote:
"As a result, the currently fragmented nature of the language industry will continue to consolidate into larger commercial entities. Data shows that a smaller number of increasingly larger players seem to dominate the field with growing presence in Eastern Europe."

Wow! I wonder why it took them 10 years to realise this. It has been happening for over a decade!!

Thanks a lot for the link Norbert. It will be interesting reading.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 16:14
Turkish to English
+ ...
Not affected by the downturn? Nov 26, 2009

I am frankly surprised by the statement in the report that:

"The language industry seems to be less affected by the financial crisis than other industry sectors."

My own work volume has been considerably lower in 2008 and so far this year in comparison to 2006 and 2007, which were busy years. I saw a pick up in the first half of this year compared to 2008, but the second half of 2009 has been disasterous for me up until now.

I have always considered the tra
... See more

"The language industry seems to be less affected by the financial crisis than other industry sectors."

My own work volume has been considerably lower in 2008 and so far this year in comparison to 2006 and 2007, which were busy years. I saw a pick up in the first half of this year compared to 2008, but the second half of 2009 has been disasterous for me up until now.

I have always considered the translation business to be fairly cyclical. Perhaps this is less true for those who work with official EU languages. I imagine that the European bureaucratic machinery continues to churn out vast amounts of documentation that requires translation even when the business cycle is in the doldrums.
Collapse

dkalinic
dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Not affected by the world crisis whatsoever Nov 27, 2009

I'm not surprised by the statement in the report that the language industry seems to be less affected by the financial crisis. As for myself, I have more work volume and the way it looks like, it will be getting larger and larger yet.

Regards,
Davor

Christopher Fitzsimons
Christopher Fitzsimons
Switzerland
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Very interesting... Nov 27, 2009

Not sure if you know but the conference to present the findings on this survey is on today. You can watch it here- http://tinyurl.com/yjepkjq

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 16:14
Turkish to English
+ ...
"less affected by the financial crisis than other industry sectors" Nov 28, 2009

Tim Drayton wrote:

[/quote]

Having spent an interesting few hours reading the report in detail:

http://ec.europa.eu/education/languages/news/news3725/report_en.pdf

I find myself even more surprised by the statement that I quoted above from the executive summary.

If we examine the quantitative data presented on page 164 concerning the impact of the financial crisis, we see that of the 565 total responses, 80 (14%) report an increase in turnover, 123 (22%) report no change, and 362 (64%) report a drop – those reporting a decline in turnover of more than 21% number 201 (36% of the total).

If we look at the responses of those having an annual turnover of less than €50,000, who are presumably overwhelmingly individual freelancers, we see that of the 259 total responses, 56 (22%) report an increase in turnover, 30 (12%) report no change, and 173 (67%) report a drop – those reporting a decline in turnover of more than 21% number 112 (43% of the total).

Additionally, an examination of the open-ended responses listed on pages 166-185 of the report reveals many references to the negative impact of the current crisis and I cannot find a single response in which the crisis is said to be having no impact.

I my book, a decline of 21% or more is quite a significant drop. We see more than 40% of freelancers reporting just such an effect, so a significant segment within this group appears to have been affected by the crisis. Perhaps the crucial point is that the statement refers to our business being "less affected" than other sectors. Perhaps other lines of business are suffering far more.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Good news from the EU-Commission?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »