Bad Translation to Hindi
Thread poster: Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Aug 2, 2018

Someone translated an important document from French to Hindi and I have to proof-read that document.

It is a really bad translation.

The translator doesn’t know basic facts about translation work. We do not change names of places and people. We transliterate those names. But it is a question of basic education.

I also received an earlier translation after it had been proof-read. I am supposed to follow that.

ANOTHER DISASTER.

... See more
Someone translated an important document from French to Hindi and I have to proof-read that document.

It is a really bad translation.

The translator doesn’t know basic facts about translation work. We do not change names of places and people. We transliterate those names. But it is a question of basic education.

I also received an earlier translation after it had been proof-read. I am supposed to follow that.

ANOTHER DISASTER.

I sent an e-mail with these explanations – but no reply from the contact person. I tried to call on their phone – again no reply.

I am going to stop this proof-reading work now.

The company should really follow this advice - They should either get work done by educated translators and proof-readers or just don’t get it done.
Collapse

Adriana Papagna
Angie Garbarino

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A couple of tools for you Aug 2, 2018

It's the old cheap trick.

Assuming that professional translation should cost $10 (no currency, just a reference) and professional reviewing should cost $3, they should get a professional job for $13. They can get a fairly acceptable job for $10, without reviewing.

The cheap trick consists in paying an amateur $3 to translate, plus $3 for a pro to review, so they can get a fairly acceptable job for $6 (40% cheaper), assuming the pro won't lower his/her translation standa
... See more
It's the old cheap trick.

Assuming that professional translation should cost $10 (no currency, just a reference) and professional reviewing should cost $3, they should get a professional job for $13. They can get a fairly acceptable job for $10, without reviewing.

The cheap trick consists in paying an amateur $3 to translate, plus $3 for a pro to review, so they can get a fairly acceptable job for $6 (40% cheaper), assuming the pro won't lower his/her translation standards upon reviewing a bad translation.

When I'm asked about my editing/reviewing/proofreading rate, I explain that it is one-third of my translation rate for competent human translation, however it may rise up to the full translation rate, in case redoing from scratch is justified. Cheap trick players drop me like a hot potato.

If asked about what I consider "competent" human translator, I tell them that it's roughly equivalent to mine. Reversing T/R roles would make no difference, and neither would complain. AMOF once such an equivalent colleague - we often team up together - and I were assigned a large job with a short deadline. Each of us translated half of it, and reviewed the other's half.

Regarding professional translation, my stance is that:
A bilingual person is someone able to express his/her own ideas in two different languages, while a translator is a trained professional, skilled in expressing someone else's ideas faithfully and accurately in a language different from the one in which they were originally issued.

This is from a page on my web site, where I compare them. It includes an example of PT > EN translation. Someone with only basic command of English could read the center column (amateur, in red) and think that it seems okay.

Perhaps your client's knowledge of Hindi is about the same, just enough to ascertain that it is in Hindi.

LATER CLARIFICATION: I meant that the trick is used by translation outsourcers to get a first class job way cheaper, through shoddy translation and professional reviewing. Apparently not the case here.

[Edited at 2018-08-02 14:29 GMT]
Collapse

Melanie Meyer
Ritu Bhanot

Ritu Bhanot
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried and not required Aug 2, 2018

Good afternoon,

I did not need this trick.

I was proposed an excellent rate for the work. But the old translator and proof-reader had made a mess of it all.

It is an old one that I used to use too.

But it was not at all required.

I did whatever I could and spoke with the Project Manager as soon as he was available.

He accepted and knew that there are several people who pretend that they knew the languages and culture.
... See more
Good afternoon,

I did not need this trick.

I was proposed an excellent rate for the work. But the old translator and proof-reader had made a mess of it all.

It is an old one that I used to use too.

But it was not at all required.

I did whatever I could and spoke with the Project Manager as soon as he was available.

He accepted and knew that there are several people who pretend that they knew the languages and culture.

End of story for such people and end of story for cheaters who try to take work from a big and well-known publishing house.

Have a nice day ahead.
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
END OF TOPIC - PROBLEM RESOLVED Aug 2, 2018

Please do not reply to this topic.

Ritu Bhanot
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proofreading / Editing / Reviewing - Bad Translation to Hindi Aug 3, 2018

I was happy yesterday because the other employee of DATAWORDS Translation agency had understood and agreed to pay me the decided amount i.e. 200.00 Euros despite the fact that I had not been able to complete it.

The person who proposed the work and proposed the rate is an employee of this company and her name is Ms. Alice BURTHE-MIQUE. She didn't even know that 02 August 2018 was not a Tuesday. I confirmed and wrote in my e-mail that I agree to do it for Thursday 02 August 2018.
... See more
I was happy yesterday because the other employee of DATAWORDS Translation agency had understood and agreed to pay me the decided amount i.e. 200.00 Euros despite the fact that I had not been able to complete it.

The person who proposed the work and proposed the rate is an employee of this company and her name is Ms. Alice BURTHE-MIQUE. She didn't even know that 02 August 2018 was not a Tuesday. I confirmed and wrote in my e-mail that I agree to do it for Thursday 02 August 2018. I didn't receive any reply from her.

After that I spoke with another employee of that company Mr. François Dupont who was working on that project too.

The employee, Mr. François Dupont, of the agency had agreed to pay me 200.00 euros that had been proposed and this despite the incomplete work.

I had worked more hours than one would require for a good translation.

But it was a really bad translation.

The earlier translation probably by the same person was really bad too. The proof-reader was as bad as the translator.

I worked more than I would have had it been a good translation.

That is the reason why I wrote to him again and refused to lower the price because I had worked harder and longer.

His colleague Ms. Irina Bouktoriava understood and agreed with me. So she'll discuss it with him and something will be done as soon as he returns to office at 1400 hours today.

So all I can do is home and pray.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad Translation to Hindi

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »