English to Arabic
+ ...
Assuming the Haitians Jan 23, 2010

call i Haiti then the correct pronunciation would be how they say it
In the UK i think you seem to have a mixture i have heard the following
Hay-tee
High-tee
High-e-tee

Incidentally are there many countries that have a different name in their own language than English?

I can think of a few but i have always wondered why we come up with a name that is completely different from that used in the country itself

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Pronunciation issues Jan 23, 2010

If a student asked me how to pronounce "Haiti" in English I would of course supply the information. Indeed, it could be an important issue if a Brazilian were to go there or talk about the tragedy in English, as Haiti is one of a series of countries which Brazilians often mispronounce in English, and it would be essential to get the pronunciation right in a situation like this.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 14:16
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Pro and such Jan 23, 2010

Andrea Flaßbeck wrote:

If your student asked how to pronounce Haiti in 20 languages, you could tell him to visit a library, right? And yes, you might remind him that the people in Haiti currently have bigger problems than the pronunciation of Haiti.

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Although I am truly sorry about the crisis and am ready to help in any way I can, no, I wouldn't remind my student of that, because I am a linguist, not a diplomat. I would deal strictly with linguistic issues if a student approached me with these ( that would make me a professional, being up to the point about what I've been asked). Discussing the crisis, while I am asked about the pronunciation, is NOT being up to the point. If, on the other hand, a student asked me to organize some help/aid and send it toward Haiti, then I'd be more than willing to discuss that with them.

Btw, the OP didn't ask one person ( me) to give pronunciation in 20 languages. He nicely implied everyone should give the pronunciations they are familiar with.

Also, funny that you mention library ( textual world) when the issue is pronunciation that should be uttered/articulated by a human, not a book.

And finally, you practically pronounced us "disrespectful" toward Haiti, which is a very strong ungrounded accusation in my book.

[Edited at 2010-01-23 11:32 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
no problem to discuss Jan 23, 2010

I disagree with Katja et al.: It should be no problem to discuss the pronunciation of "Haiti". Obsessive political correctness.

Slightly OT, but still: @Steve:

Steve Booth wrote:

Incidentally are there many countries that have a different name in their own language than English?

I can think of a few but i have always wondered why we come up with a name that is completely different from that used in the country itself

Of course. Actually, most countries' names are different in English than in their respective languages. For example, try and find a European country where English is not the national language, but its name is the same in that national language and English! I can't think of one at the moment...

Regards,
Erik

Andrea Flaßbeck (X)
Andrea Flaßbeck (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Obsessive political correctness, etc. Jan 23, 2010

Lingua 5B wrote:

Also, funny that you mention library ( textual world) when the issue is pronunciation that should be uttered/articulated by a human, not a book.

Just two words: phonetic description

Lingua 5B wrote:

And finally, you practically pronounced us "disrespectful" toward Haiti, which is a very strong ungrounded accusation in my book.

Sorry, it was not meant to be an accusation but a statement about how I perceive this discussion.

efreitag wrote:

Obsessive political correctness.

I most certainly don't consider myself to be overly politically correct, really. "Correctness" is not the point here.

Cheers,
Andrea

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Oversimplification of the issue Jan 23, 2010

Andrea Flaßbeck wrote:
Just two words: phonetic description

OK, by that logic, the role of a teacher is completely erased, because any possible question a student may have can be found in books?

Aside from that, there is a huge difference between the actual human articulation ( demonstration) and a phonetic description, when it comes to learning process.

Especially if it's a student at a certain level ( beginners) that greatly requires demonstration.

Sorry, it was not meant to be an accusation but a statement about how I perceive this discussion.

And "statement" is a euphemism?

You and Katja are off-topic, because there are at least two threads discussing the crisis. Are you involved in the discussion there?

[Edited at 2010-01-23 12:03 GMT]

Andrea Flaßbeck (X)
Andrea Flaßbeck (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Off-topic Jan 23, 2010

Lingua 5B wrote:

there are at least two threads discussing the crisis. Are you involved in the discussion there?

Nope. Am I obliged to?

Lingua 5B wrote:

You and Katja are off-topic

Since I'm off-topic, I'll now keep silent. Have a nice day, everyone.

Andrea

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Forum rules? Jan 23, 2010

Andrea Flaßbeck wrote:

Nope. Am I obliged to?

You are just obliged to discuss a certain topic in the appropriate on-topic thread, by the forum rules ( as long as I can remember).

Pronunciation of a word has nothing to do with the crisis and is an entirely separate universe. It's not unethical either, because we are discussing the word pronunciation, not the notion carried by the word meaning.

Sorry for not keeping silent about being called disrespectful or inappropriate by following the thread's topic.

[Edited at 2010-01-23 12:33 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:16
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Port au Prince Jan 23, 2010

and what about that? Even the BBC can't make its mind up...

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:16
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Russian Jan 23, 2010

Gha-'ee-tee
("G" like in "give, get", "EE" like in "eel")

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks everybody! Jan 23, 2010

I think we have satisfactorily covered the subject.

My question was not intended to/does not constitute a disregard for the tragedy in Haiti.

The only oblication for participants is to stay within the topic of the thread.

Port-au-Prince and other place names are all candidates for new postings.

If you wanted to post a new topic, go back and use the 'Post a new topic' link.
I welcome everybody to make such postings-

Tha
... See more
I think we have satisfactorily covered the subject.

My question was not intended to/does not constitute a disregard for the tragedy in Haiti.

The only oblication for participants is to stay within the topic of the thread.

Port-au-Prince and other place names are all candidates for new postings.

If you wanted to post a new topic, go back and use the 'Post a new topic' link.
I welcome everybody to make such postings-

Thank you all!

Mats
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Russian pronunciation Jan 23, 2010

I was very interested in the fact that "Haiti" is pronounced with a "G" in Russian. This reminded me of an English lesson I taught some years ago, using a book called Business Watch. One of the videos, about the opening of McDonald's in Russia, said "in Russian there is no H, so you have to ask for a Gamburger". I assume this is the same case as "Gha-ee-tee".

Alessio Nunziato
Alessio Nunziato
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
in Italian... Jan 25, 2010

...we say [a'i:ti], so no "h" sound and stress on the first "i" (ee).

dkalinic
dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Croatian: Ha-ee-t-ee Jan 26, 2010

In Croatian we pronounce it as Ha-ee-t-ee. Stress is on the second syllable. We definitely don't pronounce it as Ha-ee-t. Never heard it in Serbia either.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
?? Jan 26, 2010

Davor Kalinic wrote:

In Croatian we pronounce it as Ha-ee-t-ee. Stress is on the second syllable. We definitely don't pronounce it as Ha-ee-t. Never heard it in Serbia either.

??

Haitii ?

The transcription is in English, obviously. How is the T pronounced in English, Davor?

I've never heard anyone doubling the Serbo-Croatian letter I at the end of the word, either in Croatia, or in Serbia.

I'm sure your intention was right, but your transcription definitely isn't.

[Edited at 2010-01-26 20:11 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pronunciation of Haiti

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »