Automated attendance reminder
Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:59
Italian to English
Jan 16, 2016

I come from having organised a Powwow today, which 21 people signed up for. The event was attended by 8 members - 7 did not enter their attendance in any way, and 6 entered their status as "may attend". This uncertainty as regards numbers makes it very difficult to book for the right number of people, and makes more work for the organiser.

I know that for (paid) Proz conferences, delegates are sent an automated reminded days before, to encourage them to finalise their attendance sta
... See more
I come from having organised a Powwow today, which 21 people signed up for. The event was attended by 8 members - 7 did not enter their attendance in any way, and 6 entered their status as "may attend". This uncertainty as regards numbers makes it very difficult to book for the right number of people, and makes more work for the organiser.

I know that for (paid) Proz conferences, delegates are sent an automated reminded days before, to encourage them to finalise their attendance status for the associated Powwows, thus making the job of booking the venue easier for the organiser.

I find it frustrating that those who sign up often do not take the time to confirm their attendance (or lack of it), and feel that it would be useful to have an automated reminder feature for Powwows too.

What do people think?
Collapse

Luca Vaccari
Luca Vaccari  Identity Verified
Italy
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
You have all my support Jan 17, 2016

Hope the ProZ staff will take charge of your frustration.

A (small) amount of patience is needed when it comes to organizing events, no matter which, and I'm not so sure that payment would make the change. Some people can think that money can buy your patience and non-paid job.

A proposal: Considering that you get brownies if you take part in a powwow, the same (another) amount of brownies could be taken from you, if you register and then do not show; the same way you w
... See more
Hope the ProZ staff will take charge of your frustration.

A (small) amount of patience is needed when it comes to organizing events, no matter which, and I'm not so sure that payment would make the change. Some people can think that money can buy your patience and non-paid job.

A proposal: Considering that you get brownies if you take part in a powwow, the same (another) amount of brownies could be taken from you, if you register and then do not show; the same way you would pay for a no show at the dentist or blood test.

Last but not least: Thanks for a pleasant powwow yesterday!
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You can send out your own reminder Jan 17, 2016

I did, in fact. We have a Danish powwow every year in September, and it is quite an event.

It is some years now since I organised one, but I mailed all 'the usual suspects' early on, and invited some personally, as I knew they might not have seen the postings.

As the date approached, I mailed everyone who had registered, and asked for a commitment to come or a definite cancellation. We don't normally meet in a restaurant, so I did 'threaten' that there might not be eno
... See more
I did, in fact. We have a Danish powwow every year in September, and it is quite an event.

It is some years now since I organised one, but I mailed all 'the usual suspects' early on, and invited some personally, as I knew they might not have seen the postings.

As the date approached, I mailed everyone who had registered, and asked for a commitment to come or a definite cancellation. We don't normally meet in a restaurant, so I did 'threaten' that there might not be enough food. I also asked people to order from a menu for the evening, as I needed to book tables. We often do that, and it works quite well.

I found that one person did not answer at all, but as I could see that he/she was in the USA at the time, I took that as a cancellation. And of course, we could have fed a couple of extra spouses or friends if they had turned up!

I like the BrowniZ suggestion, but you would have to tell everyone clearly in advance, or it would make no impression.
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I did send my own reminder Jan 17, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

As the date approached, I mailed everyone who had registered

I did the same, Christine - it made no difference. Of course you could argue by the same token that an automated reminder would also make no difference, however it might seem more "official", coming from Proz, also it would be an "extra" reminder.

Perhaps it is also partly a cultural issue, I really don't know. All I know is that it's incredibly frustrating from an organisational point of view.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automated attendance reminder

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »