Marina Denogent
Marina Denogent  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:15
English to French
+ ...
Aug 4, 2017

Hello everybody!

I am currently completing ma master thesis, and would like to request your help!
I am conducting a survey on translators' experience in machine translation tools.
It should only take a few minutes to fill out.
Thank you in advance!

Link to
... See more
Hello everybody!

I am currently completing ma master thesis, and would like to request your help!
I am conducting a survey on translators' experience in machine translation tools.
It should only take a few minutes to fill out.
Thank you in advance!

Link to the survey:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfhJYeABoVZbKwcL270nzbntqMiv5ZG-k3b-ry9hZkMGdO-YQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:15
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Are we only to use the definition you gave in the survey? Aug 4, 2017

In the survey, you start by giving your definition of an MT tool:

What I do understand under "machine translation" is a tool which will automatically and autonomously translate at least a phrase, even better a sentence or a paragraph entirely. It also means that you don't have to revise the text when done (no post-editing).

In my personal life, I sometimes use GT to give me the gist of something written in Spanish or Germ
... See more

What I do understand under "machine translation" is a tool which will automatically and autonomously translate at least a phrase, even better a sentence or a paragraph entirely. It also means that you don't have to revise the text when done (no post-editing).

In my personal life, I sometimes use GT to give me the gist of something written in Spanish or German, languages I understand to some extent but I find reading full pages a little daunting. I don't do any written PEMT, of course - it's just for personal use - but I do always have to "interpret" the Googlish. I also let it generate its version of Spanish, alongside my own learning and Word's checks. Between us we generally seem to come up with something understandable.

In my professional life, I sometimes use GT for ideas of possible phrasings, along with loads of other sources. But if I were to deliver raw GT, I dread to think what the reception might be . Surely no professional translator does that, do they?

So, I don't see that I can complete anything other than the "None" boxes, nor do I think it likely that anyone else will be able to. But it doesn't sound as though the results will be very useful in that case. Am I misinterpreting something?

BTW: Does Linguee have an MT tool that actually generates phrases? I thought it was just a database of translations, for reference using search commands. Am I missing something?
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Does it really exist? Aug 4, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

In my professional life, I sometimes use GT for ideas of possible phrasings, along with loads of other sources. But if I were to deliver raw GT, I dread to think what the reception might be . Surely no professional translator does that, do they?

Indeed... Does a similar MT engine really exist? Even the best MT output I've seen so far needed some changes/tweaks here and there (gender, number, prepositions, syntax, etc.).

Marina Denogent
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to Sheila's point Aug 5, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

In my personal life, I sometimes use GT to give me the gist of something written in Spanish or German, languages I understand to some extent but I find reading full pages a little daunting. I don't do any written PEMT, of course - it's just for personal use - but I do always have to "interpret" the Googlish. I also let it generate its version of Spanish, alongside my own learning and Word's checks. Between us we generally seem to come up with something understandable.

So, I don't see that I can complete anything other than the "None" boxes, nor do I think it likely that anyone else will be able to. But it doesn't sound as though the results will be very useful in that case. Am I misinterpreting something?

BTW: Does Linguee have an MT tool that actually generates phrases? I thought it was just a database of translations, for reference using search commands. Am I missing something?

Dear Sheila,

Thank you for your interest!
I appreciate your insight concerning this survey, however I don't want to expand on the topic as it could influence some answers. All I can say is to answer as honestly as possible, and I insist on the "no post-editing" part. Please also pay attention to the fact that half of the survey is about your personal life, and that it includes languages you don't work with!

I expect to shut the survey at the end of next week, I will be glad to debate this subject then !

Thank you again!

Marina Denogent
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mirko! Aug 5, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Indeed... Does a similar MT engine really exist? Even the best MT output I've seen so far needed some changes/tweaks here and there (gender, number, prepositions, syntax, etc.).

Hi Mirko!

This is a good question, even kind of central
However I can't explain further, as I would like the test to be answered as freely as possible!
I would really be glad if you could detail your opinion in the test, or we can even talk about it at the end of next week, when I will have closed the survey!

I will however add details to the beginning of the survey!

Thank you both for your help!

Marina

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Linguee Aug 6, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I too would like the answer to this question, being under strictly the same impression as Sheila. I think of it as my "bilingual search engine". If we are right, it's not what we call MT even if translations produced using MT can crop up in the searches.

My answers would probably be much the same as Sheila's except we no longer live in the same country and I think she is far more experienced than me, not sure if it's even worth answering. (I did read the questions)

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:15
German to English
+ ...
the question is flawed Aug 7, 2017

For example, Linguee is not "machine translation" and it cannot translate a sentence for you. It is a collection of incidents of sites that have bilingual material - their own material - and you simply get to see what somebody else wrote. It is like somebody quoting the sentence I wrote here. They are all information tools and context givers. This is not machine translation. In fact, it is not translation. It gives examples of translations (some of which may be poor).

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Master Thesis Machine Translation usages

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »