Poll: How old is your (main) work computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 17, 2020

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How old is your (main) work computer?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Older than 6 years but still going strong Jan 17, 2020

I bought my desktop in 2012 but since then a few parts have been upgraded. I had to replace my old mouse yesterday as it died suddenly. Last year I “inherited” from one of my daughters a brand new laptop.

Laurent Mercky

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 10:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
3 to 4? Jan 17, 2020

My main work computer is probably 5 to 6 years old, but I have a backup PC which may be only 3 or 4 years old - time passes so quickly nowadays I lose track, for example my friends son is now 10 and I thought he was about six.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
1-2 yrs Jan 17, 2020

I buy a new computer, printers etc. every 4 years

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
3 years old baby Jan 17, 2020

My laptop is a three years old baby ~~
Not the best for multimedia VR applis, but strong enough to make the money job done.

Gibril Koroma

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Brand new Jan 17, 2020

My former laptop was over 10 years old and I had to replace it at the end of last year as it was starting to show signs of slowing down and falling apart, in addition to having an operating system that was no longer supported.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
1 yr 3 mo Jan 17, 2020

I have a fairly new HP all-in-one with a very large screen. Three years seems to be the longest I can go without needing a replacement.

I had hoped the large screen would allow me to see two documents at once, but I still have to shrink them to make it work. I've considered getting a second monitor.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
2012 Jan 17, 2020

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How old is your (main) work computer?".

View the poll results »

Late 2012 MacMini (which I upgraded with extra RAM and an SSD). Going strong.
With it I'm using an Apple extended keyboard (Italian) with an Apple Magic Mouse (both wired, no batteries necessary) and a BenQ GW2760HS 27-inch LED Monitor.
I have no intention whatever of replacing any of these for the foreseeable future (no need).

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
2014 Jan 17, 2020

Desktop model acquired some time in 2014, upgraded to Windows 10.
Some time next week I'll be replacing my spare laptop with a new model, I've already got it but don't know when I'll have time to set it up.

Joshua Parker
Joshua Parker
Mexico
Local time: 02:32
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
2 days Jan 17, 2020

2 days old... but only because my last one (a 27" iMac) was stolen at the end of last year!

Bruno Veilleux
Bruno Veilleux  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:32
English to French
Which parts? Jan 17, 2020

The casing is over 10 years old, the power supply and DVD drive probably around 7, the motherboard maybe 3 or 4, the graphics card from last year... No reason to throw away the parts that still work.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
11 Jan 17, 2020

But I suppose I’ll have to get another one now that Windows 7 has been killed off. I’d still be on XP if I could...

Word and a browser are all I ever need.

Philip Lees

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
rather many Jan 17, 2020

I don't have a 'main' computer, yet the newest is just a year whereas the oldest is seven years--still alive and kicking.

Bruno Veilleux
Bruno Veilleux  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:32
English to French
Time for Linux? Jan 18, 2020

Chris S wrote:

But I suppose I’ll have to get another one now that Windows 7 has been killed off. I’d still be on XP if I could...

Word and a browser are all I ever need.

Sounds like a good candidate to switch to a Linux distribution, save money and avoid waste. Lots of lightweight and user-friendly options out there for older machines.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Marketing & psychological trick Jan 18, 2020

While there are full-fledged *nix distros like Linux Mint and lightweight counterparts, it seems rather many people don't understand the problem is not a "limited-support" (which is actually supported per subscription) for reasonable admin policies / tweaking and zero-day threat prevention systems like free* Comodo prefer... See more
While there are full-fledged *nix distros like Linux Mint and lightweight counterparts, it seems rather many people don't understand the problem is not a "limited-support" (which is actually supported per subscription) for reasonable admin policies / tweaking and zero-day threat prevention systems like free* Comodo preferably coupled with a free* SuRun and a trial virtual app-runner SandBoxIE will keep it safe and sound.

The real issue is vendors deliberately stop updating drivers, MS limits .NET and system libs--on and on. Just it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How old is your (main) work computer?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »