Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Of these, which is the most common requirement you see when applying to agencies?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:19
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 6, 2019

It's been many years since I applied to work with a new agency. They often contact me because they like my combination of experience and education, but it doesn't take long for them to back off because I don't accept their rates.

Mónica Algazi
Adam Jarczyk

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:19
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translation test... Nov 7, 2019

are actually out of my work scope, at least for the moment. In the past, I submitted some tests which got back proposing 'reasonable rates', if you know what I mean. When the client demands tests and sounds 'reasonable', 'real', I might send them.

Regards.

[Edited at 2019-11-07 11:45 GMT]

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:19
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Trados Nov 7, 2019

In which case, I do not apply

Tom in London
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
writeaway
Mónica Algazi

Iwona Budzynska MCIL
Iwona Budzynska MCIL
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:19
English to Polish
+ ...
My translation degree and SDL Trados 2019 SR2 Nov 8, 2019

My degree in Translation and the fact that I am a certified user of SDL Trados 2019 SR2 and a license owner, as well as a member of CIOL help me get work.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Agencies vs. Low Rates Nov 11, 2019

Those who associate agencies with low rates generically are certainly thos who were not able to identify and engage with lots of excellent agencies that pay very decent and fair rates. Generalizing low rates vs. all agencies is a big mistake.
80% of my clients are agencies and I will NOT work for less than USD 0.08 per source word. So some people are really equivocated in this poll.
And let me highlight here that NONE of these agencies have ever asked me for any education in translat
... See more
Those who associate agencies with low rates generically are certainly thos who were not able to identify and engage with lots of excellent agencies that pay very decent and fair rates. Generalizing low rates vs. all agencies is a big mistake.
80% of my clients are agencies and I will NOT work for less than USD 0.08 per source word. So some people are really equivocated in this poll.
And let me highlight here that NONE of these agencies have ever asked me for any education in translation or certificates. I was approved by means of a translation test in all of them.
Am I living in the fourth dimension or what?
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:19
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Equivocated? Nov 11, 2019

Mario Freitas wrote:

And let me highlight here that NONE of these agencies have ever asked me for any education in translation or certificates. I was approved by means of a translation test in all of them.
Am I living in the fourth dimension or what?

equivocate
/ɪˈkwɪvəkeɪt/
verb
past tense: equivocated; past participle: equivocated
use ambiguous language so as to conceal the truth or avoid committing oneself.
"the government have equivocated too often in the past"

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Neediness Nov 11, 2019

All spongers and predators require is imposed hypes to attract naive needies without real specialty and business skills, making excuses by fake-out 'standards'.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@ Justin Nov 12, 2019

Justin Peterson wrote:

Mario Freitas wrote:

equivocate...

I'm sorry if you didn't understand my post. The others did, though, so it's ok.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Of these, which is the most common requirement you see when applying to agencies?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »