Poll: How often do you dream about work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 24, 2019

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you dream about work?".

View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:45
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Quite often Aug 24, 2019

While I do dream about translation challenges fairly frequently, more often than that I dream about word processing problems, especially Excel spreadsheets. They are not frightening dreams, but they aren't my favorite ones, either.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:45
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Frequently Aug 24, 2019

I often dream about translation problems, mostly when I’m very tired or I have been struggling with some terms or expressions the whole day. Dreams are supposed to offer an escape from reality and transport us to faraway lands, but sometimes the realities of the day catch up with us at night. I have woken up from vivid dreams about translations more times than I'd like to admit and once in a blue moon my subconscious comes up with the solution to my problem! That’s why I have pencil and pape... See more
I often dream about translation problems, mostly when I’m very tired or I have been struggling with some terms or expressions the whole day. Dreams are supposed to offer an escape from reality and transport us to faraway lands, but sometimes the realities of the day catch up with us at night. I have woken up from vivid dreams about translations more times than I'd like to admit and once in a blue moon my subconscious comes up with the solution to my problem! That’s why I have pencil and paper by my bedside. I’ve also had occasional nightmares about cancellations, deadlines and not being paid…Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Jennifer Forbes
ahartje

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 06:45
Chinese to English
+ ...
More than I like Aug 24, 2019

As a rule dreams too real are always bad, and dreams about work are always that.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:45
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sometimes Aug 24, 2019

I tend to 'dream' about work when I am stressed or have deadline worries. I wouldn't really call this dreaming, but more of an in-built system to keep us on our toes when danger is close at hand. Some people never seem to worry about anything, but not me.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:45
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Never Aug 24, 2019

What happens during the work day, stays within the working hours. To my knowledge I never dreamed about anything work related.

Angie Garbarino

Laura Nagle (X)
Laura Nagle (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:45
French to English
+ ...
Never, but... Aug 24, 2019

I never dream about work specifically, but I do frequently dream in a mish-mash of languages. For example, I've dreamt that I'm writing to someone in French and can't remember the spelling of a word, so I apply Irish spelling rules (I do not recommend doing this in real life!). I've also been dreaming in Irish quite often lately, and where I lack vocabulary, often my brain just substitutes a Spanish word with Irish declensions (which, again, is not ideal).

So I'm apparently working
... See more
I never dream about work specifically, but I do frequently dream in a mish-mash of languages. For example, I've dreamt that I'm writing to someone in French and can't remember the spelling of a word, so I apply Irish spelling rules (I do not recommend doing this in real life!). I've also been dreaming in Irish quite often lately, and where I lack vocabulary, often my brain just substitutes a Spanish word with Irish declensions (which, again, is not ideal).

So I'm apparently working on some translation-adjacent problem-solving skills in my sleep, although my brain seems more interested in playing with my source languages than in getting my target language involved at all.
Collapse

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:45
German to English
+ ...
Sentence structure Aug 25, 2019

I sometimes dream about translating a sentence and it's just as if I were doing work - thinking about alternatives, different sentence structure options, synonyms and so on.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:45
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
When I work too much Aug 27, 2019

When I work too many hours in translations, I usually dream about it.
Also, when I have a very urgent task and I'm close to the deadline, sometimes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you dream about work?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »