Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How important is the size of your monitor to your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 16, 2019

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How important is the size of your monitor to your work?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:01
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jun 16, 2019

I have what some colleagues would consider totally out of the question: a single 17 inches screen. I am quite used to it and it has served me fine! So, maybe I should have answered “essential”…

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
German to English
+ ...
Essential. Also "number of" Jun 16, 2019

I have two large monitors (I think 17") at about 30 degree angle from each other.

Laura Bissio CT

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very important! Jun 16, 2019

My new computer has a 27-inch screen. I love the size, but I'm disappointed that it's still a bit of a challenge to line up the source and target documents side by side. You'd think it would be easy ....

[Edited at 2019-06-16 10:02 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 10:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Somewhat Jun 16, 2019

The smallest screen I have is on my laptop. I don't recall right now if it's 14" or 17", but it's large enough for me to be able to work on when away from home.
When working from home, I use PCs, with monitors of varying sizes.
The main one, which I'm looking at right now is 22", I think.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:01
German to English
24" x 2 Jun 16, 2019

For most of this century my work setup has included two 24-inch monitors. The right monitor displays the project (usually a CAT tool); peeking out behind it is usually my e-mail client showing a list of incoming messages. Since I filter my e-mail I can tell immediately whether I've received a message from a customer.

The other monitor displays related glossaries, IntelliWebSearch, and other reference material as well as Google search. When translating graphics, the left monitor sho
... See more
For most of this century my work setup has included two 24-inch monitors. The right monitor displays the project (usually a CAT tool); peeking out behind it is usually my e-mail client showing a list of incoming messages. Since I filter my e-mail I can tell immediately whether I've received a message from a customer.

The other monitor displays related glossaries, IntelliWebSearch, and other reference material as well as Google search. When translating graphics, the left monitor shows the original graphic; the other displays PaintShop Pro containing the image in process.

Altogether I have almost 48 inches of working space. At this juncture I can't imagine trying to work with less on an ongoing basis.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Other Jun 16, 2019

The screen size is not that important, the number of pixels is. My laptop screen has a very good pixel density, and thus compares favorably with many bigger screens.

Jean Dimitriadis
Robin Miller
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria da Glória Teixeira
Camila bryant

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Essential Jun 16, 2019

Laptop has 18"
Main computer 2x 27" monitors.

One of my customers uses 32" TV´s in their office and I was really impressed as they had absolutely everything on one screen.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
A3+ eye strain Jun 16, 2019

While the pixel size and image improving technologies really matter, the matrix type (flicker-free aka no PWM) and ppi is often more important.

Occasionally I used special glasses for long jobs, but now I mostly work as an interpreter, so it's no problem)

Rachael Clayton

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:01
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not very important. Jun 16, 2019

A super-duper ultra high-tech monitor is not important when your processor is slow and when you have a small RAM.

Robin Miller
Priscila Wilke

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:01
Greek to English
Big enough Jun 17, 2019

Michael Harris wrote:

One of my customers uses 32" TV´s in their office and I was really impressed as they had absolutely everything on one screen.

That's what I've been using for some years now. Plenty of space to have two documents open next each other with the text in an easily readable size. I can add more panels if necessary.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Very Jun 17, 2019

My eyes are not what they used to be...

Philippe Etienne

Maria da Glória Teixeira
Maria da Glória Teixeira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:01
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Pixel Jun 17, 2019

Anne Bohy wrote:

The screen size is not that important, the number of pixels is. My laptop screen has a very good pixel density, and thus compares favorably with many bigger screens.

I agree with you, my laptop has a monitor of 18, and very good pixel density to be able to work.

Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:01
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Keyboard size rules!! Jun 17, 2019

For me keyboard size is way more important than other hardware elements

Priscila Wilke
Priscila Wilke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Somewhat... it depends Jun 18, 2019

Mine is 27" but not a sophisticated one. It is useful when I have to do QA and I am able to open side-by-side documents. Otherwise, I use my laptop.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How important is the size of your monitor to your work?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »