Poll: Do you use printer in your office?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 11, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use printer in your office?".

This poll was originally submitted by tilak raj. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:39
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but I use it less and less Mar 11, 2018

I rarely use it for translation purposes, except sometimes to print out the source text so I can read it more easily.

I remember the years when I would rush to the FedEx box before the last pickup to mail printed copies of my translations to my clients (sometimes along with an electronic copy on a disk).

Mine is a B&W laser printer with scanning to PDFs and other types of files, copying, and OCR functions, all of which I use for other purposes. Previously I had bought
... See more
I rarely use it for translation purposes, except sometimes to print out the source text so I can read it more easily.

I remember the years when I would rush to the FedEx box before the last pickup to mail printed copies of my translations to my clients (sometimes along with an electronic copy on a disk).

Mine is a B&W laser printer with scanning to PDFs and other types of files, copying, and OCR functions, all of which I use for other purposes. Previously I had bought a color laser, but it used up toner like crazy, scanned to JPEG files only, and didn't have OCR, so I exchanged it for my current one, which I'm very happy with.

[Edited at 2018-03-11 08:39 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but not a lot Mar 11, 2018

I have a B+W laser printer my landlord gave me a couple of years ago, which I use very occasionally.
I also have a colour inkjet one, but I recently lent it to a colleague and when he went to buy a new cartridge, he found that he could buy a new printer for less than the price of replacing the 2 ink cartridges...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, but I’m trying to use it less and less Mar 11, 2018

I have a multifunction color laser printer with all the bells and whistles, though I use it much more as a B&W printer and a scanner. I usually print out the source document and sometimes I print out a hard copy for the final proofreading…

P.S. As others have said, the printer was affordable but the same can’t be said for the replaceables…

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I use it a lot less than I used to Mar 11, 2018

I use largely recycled paper or paper from amanged forests - they contribute to correcting the CO2 balance as they grow... and I print out documents as I need them. I don't do it automatically as I used to, especially source texts. I have a pile of paper printed on one side, which I use for pencil notes, calculations etc.
My new printer can usually print out on both sides, so I do that most of the time, and of course, my used paper is recycled again afterwards.

I am afraid I
... See more
I use largely recycled paper or paper from amanged forests - they contribute to correcting the CO2 balance as they grow... and I print out documents as I need them. I don't do it automatically as I used to, especially source texts. I have a pile of paper printed on one side, which I use for pencil notes, calculations etc.
My new printer can usually print out on both sides, so I do that most of the time, and of course, my used paper is recycled again afterwards.

I am afraid I don't believe I can save the planet by knitting dishcloths, going vegan and saving water in Scandinavia - we have a large number of springs here in town, and I don't know how many gallons of drinking water run more or less directly into the sea! But I grew up with water shortages, and strongly believe in supporting water supply schemes for those who are less lucky.
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, of course Mar 11, 2018

I have 3 printers + 1 extra scanner

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:39
German to English
+ ...
Certified translations..... Mar 11, 2018

as they are here, must be in hard copy form, with stamp and signature added. I use a laser printer because this way, if anyone has an outdoor mailbox where moisture can get in, there is no possibility of smearing ink. For the same reason, plastic sheet protectors.

So yes, in my office a printer is a must.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Yes but Mar 11, 2018

I do have one but don't use it to print out translations or originals. More likely to be used for NDAs or similar.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:39
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
No Mar 12, 2018

And I'm annoyed when I get a pdf ti fill out or sign that requires printing, writing by hand, and scanning.
I type because my handwriting is lousy.
I have a clip-art signature that I apply to documents. It's no less real on a scanned pdf than my actual signature.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:39
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, but rarely for work Mar 18, 2018

I must have a printer, since I pay all my bills using home bankng, and since I have three college students at home. I need it for several reasons, but hardly ever for translation activities. For those, I always use PDFs sent by e-mail. No need for a printer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use printer in your office?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »