Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you find any linguistic beauty in technical translations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
As always Mar 1, 2018

Morano El-Kholy wrote:

Agree with Teresa Borges:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

)

Of course

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:04
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks dear colleagues. Mar 1, 2018

Thanks for your nice comment, Angie.

Thanks for the interesting poll suggested by Susanna.

Thanks to all participants.

[Edited at 2018-03-01 20:48 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
'beauty' Mar 1, 2018

Julian Holmes wrote:

Sort of

I would call the act of technical translation an 'art,' not so much something in which 'beauty' per se can be found.

"The art of technical translation is to break down sentences, which can be intrinsically difficult to understand because of their very complex and detailed content, and the information they contain into their basic component elements, and present the meaning and intent in a form that can be understood, preferably, to as many people as possible around the world, all of whom may not necessarily be native speakers of English."

If you can find 'beauty' in what I just wrote, then you should try your hand at technical translation, if you haven't already.

[Edited at 2018-03-01 13:07 GMT]

I agree with Julian. Beauty is maybe stretching it but I can certainly admire a technical or any other text that is well organized, well written, and easy to read and understand. And I agree with Susanna that motivation plays a role in that as well. There is also 'beauty' in a the text that is written with enthusiasm for the topic and motivates or inspires people to pursue the topic further.

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:04
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Enthusiasm Mar 1, 2018

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I agree with Julian. Beauty is maybe stretching it but I can certainly admire a technical or any other text that is well organized, well written, and easy to read and understand. And I agree with Susanna that motivation plays a role in that as well. There is also 'beauty' in a the text that is written with enthusiasm for the topic and motivates or inspires people to pursue the topic further.

Absolutely.
Enthusiasm.
Motivation.
Inspiration.

Thank you Tina and to all participants ☺

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:04
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends Mar 2, 2018

Linguistic beauty is everywhere, as long as there are words. So, yes, we do find linguistic beauty in technical documents, in how science manages to rename things as they evolve, how words and jargon arise... There is always some kind of beauty in any type of language.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:04
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ok, not in legalese... Mar 2, 2018

Morano El-Kholy wrote:

My question is: Do you find any linguistic beauty in legal translations?

Ok, I must admit this may be an exception.
Legal documents is where the authors force it to try to insert some beauty, but they always fail.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you find any linguistic beauty in technical translations?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »