Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you keep record of all the projects you've worked on?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ehsan Kiani
Ehsan Kiani
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Oh sure! Dec 12, 2017

I keep each of them in separate folders, every folder containing all the main materials - source text(s), translated text(s) - and the secondary materials - sources that have helped me through the project. Keeping track of the work you've done helps to see where've you been from the start, and what has been your route all along the way. It gives you a general idea of your progress in work. And you're sometimes amazed by earlier works - was it really me? Did I really choose to do that? And someti... See more
I keep each of them in separate folders, every folder containing all the main materials - source text(s), translated text(s) - and the secondary materials - sources that have helped me through the project. Keeping track of the work you've done helps to see where've you been from the start, and what has been your route all along the way. It gives you a general idea of your progress in work. And you're sometimes amazed by earlier works - was it really me? Did I really choose to do that? And sometimes you're proud: yeah, it WAS me! Anyway, it's a good mirror for your career, no matter how you're keeping that record.Collapse

Gitte Hoveds (X)
Gitte Hoveds (X)
Denmark
Local time: 16:15
Danish to English
+ ...
No Dec 12, 2017

Well, I guess that depends on what is meant by 'keep records'...

I'm a tidy freak, bordering on being a minimalist in many respects, so I only save/keep what I need (order overview) or have to (accounts, for tax purposes), or what I think might come in useful at some stage (client glossaries, for instance).

Other than that, I routinely delete all work files generated by my CAT tool as soon as I have delivered a translation. Why would I keep those? All relevant data are
... See more
Well, I guess that depends on what is meant by 'keep records'...

I'm a tidy freak, bordering on being a minimalist in many respects, so I only save/keep what I need (order overview) or have to (accounts, for tax purposes), or what I think might come in useful at some stage (client glossaries, for instance).

Other than that, I routinely delete all work files generated by my CAT tool as soon as I have delivered a translation. Why would I keep those? All relevant data are stored in the TMs. I keep translations and emails for a calendar year in separate client folders, but have a big clear-out in early January to be ready to start afresh in a new year. The only reason I keep the files for that long is that I have a quick look at it all when I prepare my annual report for tax purposes and my own amusement.

The only 'records' I keep are two Excel spreadsheets, one for my accounts, and one that keeps track of my orders in a very basic format: order date, client, task details, price, delivery date, invoice no. + date, payment received, and very basic statistics of the amount invoiced to each client. Each new year, I just add another tab to each of the two spreadsheets.

I still believe in the old Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:15
French to English
yes Dec 12, 2017

Of course I keep records. Otherwise I would forget to bill!
And then I have to declare my earnings, so I have a record of that too.

I do like to keep previous translations for reference if I neglect to put a term in the glossary. The other day I found a term in a translation I did back in 2003!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you keep record of all the projects you've worked on?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »