Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What is the sound environment like in your workspace?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:56
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Depends on the time Dec 10, 2017

It is quiet during the day, until school finishes, and then the mayhem begins.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:56
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Noisy Dec 11, 2017

Noisy from my annoying neighbors banging on the walls for me to turn my music down. One can hardly concentrate.

Patrice
Patrice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:56
French to English
+ ...
Good sounds Dec 11, 2017

Barking dogs. CNN in the background. CBC radio. Sometimes I like the sound effects of cooking shows. My versions of white noise

The sounds of a happy place.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Different playlists Dec 11, 2017

In my so-called workspace, the ambient sound changes throughout the day: background documentary on TV, not too loud, iTunes playing some classical, jazz or soundtrack music, neighbor below banging his hammer or pushing his drill into something (but they're nice overall).

Now, the sound inside my headspace is something else altogether…

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:56
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Totally silent Dec 11, 2017

I have become deaf. I take off my hearing aids when I'm working and I love the silence. Unlike people who say that being deaf is "isolating," I feel blessed to be able to control how much I have to hear.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:56
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Acceptable noise level + music Dec 12, 2017

I live in a big town, in a neighborhood mostly with apartment and commercial buildings, bars, restaurants, etc., so lots of movement all day long.
From 7:00 am to about 9:00 pm, the noise level is the average metropolitan one: not intolerable, but not quiet at all. In addition to the regular noise of people, cars/trucks, honking, alarms, ambulances/police (there's a hospital nearby) and the like, there are four people in the house, so phones ring, people talk, TV is on, etc.
I can li
... See more
I live in a big town, in a neighborhood mostly with apartment and commercial buildings, bars, restaurants, etc., so lots of movement all day long.
From 7:00 am to about 9:00 pm, the noise level is the average metropolitan one: not intolerable, but not quiet at all. In addition to the regular noise of people, cars/trucks, honking, alarms, ambulances/police (there's a hospital nearby) and the like, there are four people in the house, so phones ring, people talk, TV is on, etc.
I can live well with that, but music is my regular companion, as it overlaps most of the undesired noises, most of the time, and hinders distraction instead of being one.

[Edited at 2017-12-12 04:33 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the sound environment like in your workspace?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »