Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What has been the longest period when you had little or no work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:37
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A couple of days Dec 6, 2017

I have at least one client that sends me small files (apps, marketing) practically every day. And several other clients that send small jobs sporadically. So, I hardly ever stay more than a couple of days without work. But in certain weeks I only get these small jobs, it's true, so considering the volume per week, sometimes I get a really lousy week.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:37
Catalan to English
+ ...
The solution Dec 7, 2017

Most translators I know are relieved to actually have a quiet spell provided it's a short one (defining "short" depends on them).

But if you find that work seems to have dried up and are getting a bit jittery, simply write to all your clients announcing that you're going to take the next two weeks off.

I can guarantee you'll get an offer the next (if not the same) day.

Never fails.

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
me, 2 weeks to a month Dec 7, 2017

I have 2 weeks to a month period but I think mostly because I stick to my rate (which is on a generally higher side of the rate scale and it is higher than rate posted in my profile. I stop updating it and kind of deleting most infos) and not so readily accepting new clients. I only work with my regular clients. New clients these days tend to be demanding and asking for best of everything. My best may be not their best. I think with these current translation platforms, it is more and more like U... See more
I have 2 weeks to a month period but I think mostly because I stick to my rate (which is on a generally higher side of the rate scale and it is higher than rate posted in my profile. I stop updating it and kind of deleting most infos) and not so readily accepting new clients. I only work with my regular clients. New clients these days tend to be demanding and asking for best of everything. My best may be not their best. I think with these current translation platforms, it is more and more like Ub*r or Gr*b but I dont accept to be same as their drivers.

In those off days, I am still busy with other things. It never ends with things I want to do to feed up my creative mind. If it is too long, I start to things maybe I should change my focus now and onto other businesses then new tasks roll in.

[Edited at 2017-12-07 18:48 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What has been the longest period when you had little or no work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »