Poll: Has the favorable EUR - USD exchange rate trend benefited your business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 8, 2017

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Has the favorable EUR - USD exchange rate trend benefited your business?".

View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Sep 8, 2017

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if currency movements made any difference to whether my customers chose to use me. I'd like to think they base their decision on the service I offer.

As I've said before, they're in a far better position than me to absorb movements in exchange rates.

Oh, and I have no customers in the US or the euro area anyway.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Sep 8, 2017

All my clients are in Spain and my earnings are in euros. However, thanks to the brexit debacle and the dwindling pound, I hope to be quids in when I go back to the UK at Christmas...

[Edited at 2017-09-08 08:23 GMT]

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
No... Sep 8, 2017

...but for the time being I'll work predominantly for clients who pay me in EUR.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Sep 8, 2017

Most of my clients are in the Euro zone...

Maria Silvestri
Maria Silvestri  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
I'll take whatever I'm paid Sep 8, 2017

As an American, I often bid in USD just because this is the economy I live on and I know what I need to earn to pay my bills. However, I'll happily accept payment in Euro, especially if that's what my client is offering and if it is a fair rate for the project. Similarly, I'll accept GBP, too.

I really don't get hung up on what currency is being used, it's not like I'm working with numbers where the amount could be amortized or something, but I do just make sure I'm getting a fair
... See more
As an American, I often bid in USD just because this is the economy I live on and I know what I need to earn to pay my bills. However, I'll happily accept payment in Euro, especially if that's what my client is offering and if it is a fair rate for the project. Similarly, I'll accept GBP, too.

I really don't get hung up on what currency is being used, it's not like I'm working with numbers where the amount could be amortized or something, but I do just make sure I'm getting a fair rate in general.
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
what favourable trend? Sep 8, 2017

I have a couple of clients who pay me in USD and for whom I prepare my invoices in USD. The falling dollar lately has meant that although I charge them the same amount in USD, I receive less for my work in euros. The same applies to the one or two clients I bill in GBP. Fortunately most clients I have pay me in euros.

edit: corrected a typo

[Edited at 2017-09-08 12:50 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
euro vs pound Sep 8, 2017

I'm happy about the plummeting pound in that we don't have to send as many of our hard-earned euros to our son studying in the UK.

Apart from that, all my clients are in the euro zone so I don't get to worry about exchange rates. Maybe if we start wintering abroad once my partner has retired. However, he no longer actually wants to retire so...

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Sep 8, 2017

Just the opposite is the case.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:54
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Sep 8, 2017

If there was any favorable trend, I wouldn't have to be aware of this because all of my clients are based in Japan. So, there!

Can't all you Anonymous Proz.com staff come up with better poll topics that this?
I'm still waiting for that earth-shattering topic of all topics that drastically affects all of us translators around the world:

"What's your favorite Disney character?"

[Edited at 2017-09-08 13:28 GMT]

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
@Julian Sep 8, 2017

Baloo! "So let me tell you something, little britches: If you act like that bee acts, uh-uh, you're working too hard."

Would it be hacking this poll if we replied to Julian's excellent poll question too?

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
anonymous Sep 8, 2017

@Julian - polls which appear as proposed by staff are not necessarily suggested by them. I know from personal experience of wanting to remain anonymous

I get paid in euros and pay my bills in euros, so it makes no odds to me. I do transfer some money to a UK account, so I like the falling pound on a personal level but not the reasons behind it.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mine is... Sep 8, 2017

Julian Holmes wrote:

I'm still waiting for that earth-shattering topic of all topics that drastically affects all of us translators around the world:

"What's your favorite Disney character?"

[Edited at 2017-09-08 13:28 GMT]

Calimero

Calimero

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:54
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Sep 10, 2017

In my case, the higher the USD rate, the better. The opposite has been happening for several months.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not currently Sep 10, 2017

At the moment, I don't have any clients paying me in euros.

Int the past, the fees for exchanging euros to USD were punishing, so I didn't cultivate those clients.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has the favorable EUR - USD exchange rate trend benefited your business?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »