Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How long after sending a price quote do you follow up on it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 07:58
English to German
Almost never Jul 19, 2017

The only exception: If I get a request from someone else for the same timeframe very shortly after making an offer, I might "follow up" on my offer by asking if it is still under consideration or if it's okay to assign that time to someone else. This is not a sales method, it's a genuine request for information. It happens very rarely.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm a lover, not a chaser Jul 19, 2017

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I don't follow up. If the client agrees, they will get back to me. I don't chase after them.

I agree here. My typical day as a working translator is anything but. Last Friday, for instance, facing no projects for this week, I contacted two project managers (they call themselves something else, because they're a direct client) to check on the status of two estimates for a medium-sized project and a large one. On Monday, they both responded: large project is a go (8-10 weeks of work) and medium-sized project required a second estimate (more files).

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let me ask my gorgeous secretary Jul 19, 2017

If I had the wherewithal to hire a gorgeous secretary, she'll be chasing after estimates, new customers, letters sent to seek contracts, etc.

A famous writer once said: If you want to have time to read, let the grass grow. I don't remember his or her name, but the statement rings true to me.

One exception to my not bothering to chase after estimates: if the estimate is for a project that will occupy more than 50% of my working time, I have to follow through consi
... See more
If I had the wherewithal to hire a gorgeous secretary, she'll be chasing after estimates, new customers, letters sent to seek contracts, etc.

A famous writer once said: If you want to have time to read, let the grass grow. I don't remember his or her name, but the statement rings true to me.

One exception to my not bothering to chase after estimates: if the estimate is for a project that will occupy more than 50% of my working time, I have to follow through consistently to make sure I don't say no to other, firmer commitments.
Collapse

Alexandre Neme
Alexandre Neme  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 06:58
English to French
+ ...
My reply Jul 19, 2017

As translators and cultural mediators, why would we be running after our quotes like beggers whose dignity and integrity have been wiped away?
If we don't respect our noble profession, who do we expect to do that? It is our duty to preserve our dignity if not, we might end up crushed down by others.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
If my offer was ignored, it wasn't the right offer for right people Jul 20, 2017

However, a friend of mine once noticed that a non-intrusive following up (after some 3-5-7/14 days and reminds on occasions) did pay its way for she had got some 30+ loyal and reliable clients.

I just have no time. Nor need)

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 13:58
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Don't follow up Jul 20, 2017

Like many others who commented, I don't follow up. As this was not an option, I had to choose 'Other'.
If they want me to proceed, they will contact me. If they don't, I don't want to know the reason either. Surely we don't want to project ourselves as being hard up for work (?).

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:58
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
And the winner answer is not a choice again Jul 20, 2017

No option for "I don't", which is obviously the most common one, as you can see in the other posts.
What is the use of running after a potential client after sending the quote? If it had been approved, you'd be working on the job. If you got no reply, they probably chose someone else or the job was cancelled. Why bother the client? Why bother yourself, just to get a reply like "I'm sorry but..."

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
sometimes Jul 20, 2017

I did just the other day in fact. My favourite direct client asked me if I could do a project, everything was set to go then suddenly I was asked to put it on hold because her boss hadn't given his go-ahead.

Then an agency asked me to do a big job. If the other one came through, I couldn't meet the deadline for both. So I checked with my favourite whether there was any chance of getting the go-ahead in the next few days before agreeing to do the biggie.

I also checked
... See more
I did just the other day in fact. My favourite direct client asked me if I could do a project, everything was set to go then suddenly I was asked to put it on hold because her boss hadn't given his go-ahead.

Then an agency asked me to do a big job. If the other one came through, I couldn't meet the deadline for both. So I checked with my favourite whether there was any chance of getting the go-ahead in the next few days before agreeing to do the biggie.

I also checked up a few times recently with this agency that apparently had sent me some mails that I never received.

Otherwise, with new clients, I don't bother. Oh, a while back I did, but only because their wording was rather vague in their initial request. They had been recommended my services by another very good direct client, so I wasn't in competition with other translators, and I wasn't sure if they just wanted me to go ahead or wait for an all-clear. I got a prompt, very clear go-ahead as a result so it was all good.
Collapse

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 09:58
French to English
+ ...
After a week Jul 20, 2017

I submitted this poll quite a while ago (last year) and I can't remember what options I originally suggested and whether they were changed by Proz.

My question was really aimed at colleagues working with direct clients and not agencies. I generally follow up after about a week, I find it professional and not unprofessional to do so. If a client just says I haven't been chosen for the project but without explaining why I ask them for the reason and it's generally instructive to find
... See more
I submitted this poll quite a while ago (last year) and I can't remember what options I originally suggested and whether they were changed by Proz.

My question was really aimed at colleagues working with direct clients and not agencies. I generally follow up after about a week, I find it professional and not unprofessional to do so. If a client just says I haven't been chosen for the project but without explaining why I ask them for the reason and it's generally instructive to find out why - it helps me with future price quotes. Some clients appreciate you showing an interest; sometimes you may even find out that they never received your quote!
Collapse

Mike Wilkinson
Mike Wilkinson  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
+ ...
No response => assume no interest Jul 23, 2017

So no, I'm another one who doesn't bother to follow up if there's no response. Experience soon taught me that it means the client is 99% certain to have been interested only in the cheapest possible price. Which means it's 99% certain I didn't want them as a customer anyway.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long after sending a price quote do you follow up on it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »