inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:29
French to German
+ ...
Other Jul 16, 2017

Quite a lot of things, to be honest:

- late payment (doesn't happen very often these days, I stopped working with the late payers a while ago since I found the situation they put me in too stressful)
- too little/too much to do
- rereading my own work before delivery when the text is very long and repetitive
- finding new clients (next to impossible since they all seem to prefer low rates over quality)
- having to use a previous TM or a text which has been
... See more
Quite a lot of things, to be honest:

- late payment (doesn't happen very often these days, I stopped working with the late payers a while ago since I found the situation they put me in too stressful)
- too little/too much to do
- rereading my own work before delivery when the text is very long and repetitive
- finding new clients (next to impossible since they all seem to prefer low rates over quality)
- having to use a previous TM or a text which has been 'validated' by an agency's client (I had a very poor example last week and I told they agency, just to be told that validated texts were not to be questioned, I was allowed to use correct punctuation and spelling though)
- proofreading the work of others (I stopped doing that as well since I used to spend too much time trying to decide whether a possible change was really necessary or not)
- paying health insurance contributions (about 18% of my income, calculated on the basis of last year's income, so if last year was good but this year isn't they can become quite a burden)

Just thinking about this list has put me in a bad mood...
Collapse

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
reviewing proofread work Jul 16, 2017

Proofreading others' work is one thing, but reviewing the "corrections" mangling proofreaders have made to my work is my own pet hate. Where do y'all find competent proofreaders? Or at least proofreaders who actually correct more errors than they introduce?

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:29
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Reviewers Jul 16, 2017

Mair A-W (PhD) wrote:
Proofreading others' work is one thing, but reviewing the "corrections" mangling proofreaders have made to my work is my own pet hate. Where do y'all find competent proofreaders? Or at least proofreaders who actually correct more errors than they introduce?

I had forgotten about this one, Mair. Indeed, a nightmare to all of us.

Mike Wilkinson
Mike Wilkinson  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
+ ...
Non-native "corrections" of my English... Jul 23, 2017

Happens all the time, especially from Dutch. Yes, your English is good. No, it's not better than mine. Go away.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Most likely to put me in a bad mood:

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »