Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How long should a fair translation test be?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Markus Perndl
Markus Perndl
Austria
Local time: 12:35
Italian to German
+ ...
B2B vs. B2C Jul 5, 2017

Chris S wrote:

That's not a fair comparison. We're talking B2B here, not B2C. I suspect many of those you mention would happily supply a free sample to win a long-term business relationship. That's how business works!

What's the difference between B2B and B2C in this case? As a service provider I don't care if a client is a business client or a private one. Fortunately, I have more clients and more job offers than I can manage, so why should I invest time (and accept an unrespectful attitude by a potential client) for a test translation? I think clients who demand free test translations should think about which translators they are hiring: the good and experienced ones who have a lot of clients and don't need to work for free, or the unexperienced ones?

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:35
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Indeed, but... Jul 5, 2017

Robert Forstag wrote:

I agree with Mario that membership in a translation association in and of itself is meaningless. There are other credentials that I would say are not so meaningless - individually and/or in combination. These include being a *certified* ATA member, DipTrans, and AIIC membership. None of these latter are credentials that can be purchased for the price of a membership - or won at a carnival. And surely university degrees should not simply be dismissed out of hand.

The thing is, Robert, that many people who do hold such credentials end up being not-so-competent in translating. The clients noted that they had terrible experiences with translators with diplomas and credentials and wonderful experiences with translators graduated in other areas or with no certificates. So that's what makes these certificates and diplomas a non-reliable criterion all by themselves. The tests are still the only efficient way to evaluate the quality of a translator's work.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long should a fair translation test be?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »