Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: You get a dream job offer but must travel to a far-away country for the duration of the project.
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:13
Member (2006)
German to English
Do they have sheep there? Jun 29, 2017

Chris S wrote:

Barbados would be nice

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Now, my family is more important Jun 29, 2017

But if it was during the school holidays in a non-hostile country and everyone could go along - even if it was for 6 weeks, then yes, would love it. Just cam back from 2 weeks Mauritius and would go back there again, but would avoid Air France as they lost our luggage☺

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 29, 2017

Granted it's my dream country, let's see the offer

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Travel Jun 29, 2017

I'm wishing myself to have such opportunity in my pocket.

Cheers to all!

N.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends on... Jun 29, 2017

which country, the duration of the stay, paid flight (preferably 1st Class) and excellent accommodation (minimum 5 stars) and, last but not least, on what they are willing to pay for my work.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 21:13
Japanese to English
You did say a dream job, didn't you? Jun 29, 2017

My dream job would pay £10 million for a month of very easy work. For that kind of money I would go pretty much anywhere that wasn't North Korea or an active warzone.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:13
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not any more Jun 30, 2017

I love where I live. I have no more Wanderlust left. Nothing could persuade me to budge from where I am. Before the Internet came along, my translation assignments took me to most of the countries in South America and several in Europe.

Gitte Hoveds (X)
Gitte Hoveds (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Envy Jun 30, 2017

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I love where I live. I have no more Wanderlust left. Nothing could persuade me to budge from where I am. Before the Internet came along, my translation assignments took me to most of the countries in South America and several in Europe.

What a lovely, positive comment, Muriel.
I definitely hope to do some more travelling, but more than that, I hope that one day I will find that special place that I would not want to budge from. Good for you.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Digital barnacle Jun 30, 2017

Christine Andersen wrote:
It would not be a dream job if it meant I had to travel!

Amen. I have this job (among other things) because it enables me to stay inside my own zip code (3.25 square kilometres according to Aunt Google) for at least 99% of my time. In a radius of a hundred metres around my own bed, I have more things to do than I will ever be able to accomplish. Why would I go anywhere else?

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:13
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other - It depends on several factors Jul 2, 2017

1. In order to be a "dream job", the pay would have to be very high
2. It would depend a lot in what country we're talking about and what are the civil conditions there at the moment. For example, no remuneration would pay for a job in a country in civil war.
3. Working conditions are very important, such as, would I be working in an office with air-conditioner and full equipment/software or out in the field following my client?
4. There are further conditions I'm not willing t
... See more
1. In order to be a "dream job", the pay would have to be very high
2. It would depend a lot in what country we're talking about and what are the civil conditions there at the moment. For example, no remuneration would pay for a job in a country in civil war.
3. Working conditions are very important, such as, would I be working in an office with air-conditioner and full equipment/software or out in the field following my client?
4. There are further conditions I'm not willing to evaluate now.

The only experience I have with such a job was in 2011, when I spent 5 months in a very hot place, working for Kinross in a gold mine/plant, walking around the jobsite interpreting for my client, wearing all PPE (long sleeves, gloves, glasses, earphones, etc., which makes it a lot hotter), living in a hotel room and eating the company's meals for the entire 5 months. I would never do that again, although I was very well paid then.

[Edited at 2017-07-02 17:38 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: You get a dream job offer but must travel to a far-away country for the duration of the project.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »