Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you provide your clients with your TMs related to your projects if they ask for them?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Laura Pinto
Laura Pinto
United States
Local time: 07:53
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Only if requested prior to starting Jun 26, 2017

The client must specify in the email that they want the TM. Then I create a TM exclusively for their project.

Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:53
Finnish to English
+ ...
ditto Jun 26, 2017

Edith van der Have-Raats wrote:

... only of the actual assignment itself. In any case they could easily obtain this - within a minute for delivery as xliff, and otherwise still possible by alignment. I never ever send TMs with other translations that I have not done for that particular client.

ditto

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:53
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Let everybody have your all Jun 26, 2017

Chris S wrote:

... along with my PC, printer and the keys to my house

That said, nobody has ever dared ask

[Edited at 2017-06-26 12:45 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
bombastic words Jun 26, 2017

- Trados only required!
- Why Trados and which version?
-Oh, that's it... We know it better! Alright.
. . .
- TM required!
- Which format and what for--maybe the alignment would do?
- Oh, that's it... Yes, we know it! Alright then.

For some 15 yrs I have encountered such requests just a couple of times--and never again)
I don't mind sending a client his project TM, yet those who really need it already know how to get it easy peasy.

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 06:53
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cats, again! Jun 26, 2017

Teresa Borges wrote:

Cats

No CATs, no TMs!

[Edited at 2017-06-26 08:15 GMT]

Teresa, I hate to see people say they do not like cats*.

I USED to HATE cats. But that was because I had never had one before. If you have never owned a cat you will surely hate them all. Now I have 5 cats and I adore each of them. They are like the human children I still do not have.

Teresa, I hope you reconsider your opinion of cats (in general) in the near future.

Greetings from San Salvador, El Salvador.
-------------

*I know that you refer to Computer Assisted Tools (CATs), not the animals per se, but still...

[Edited at 2017-06-27 02:48 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:53
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just for the record... Jun 27, 2017

Wilsonn Perez Reyes wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Cats

No CATs, no TMs!

[Edited at 2017-06-26 08:15 GMT]

Teresa, I hate to see people say they do not like cats*.

I USED to HATE cats. But that was because I had never had one before. If you have never owned a cat you will surely hate them all. Now I have 5 cats and I adore each of them. They are like the human children I still do not have.

Teresa, I hope you reconsider your opinion of cats (in general) in the near future.

Greetings from San Salvador, El Salvador.
-------------

*I know that you refer to Computer Assisted Tools (CATs), not the animals per se, but still...

[Edited at 2017-06-27 02:48 GMT]

Even if I prefer dogs to cats, I don't hate cats (the animal) but I have a deep dislike of CATs.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
@Teresa Jun 27, 2017

- I don't like cats!
- Oh, you just can't cook it properly!

Joking apart, it's not a matter of fashion, but sometimes--a necessity: a backup, a prompt (TU/glossary) and a hint (concordance), a better QA, a cooperation and unification, a file format converter, and so on.

Besides fuzzy-pricing abuse, the major issue for me is a strict segmentation vs. fluency, which is mitigated, say, via a paragraph segmentation.

[Edited at 2017-06-27 10:42 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:53
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The question is misleading. Jun 28, 2017

Of course the asker meant that specific client's TM and that specific project's TM. No client would be dumb enough to ask you for your historical TM, would they?

And this poll has been discussed several times before.

If the client asks for the TM of their specific jobs/projects, not providing it is a very undue attitude of the translator. That's because the client can easily align the pairs of the original document with the translation you provided and generate a TM ex
... See more
Of course the asker meant that specific client's TM and that specific project's TM. No client would be dumb enough to ask you for your historical TM, would they?

And this poll has been discussed several times before.

If the client asks for the TM of their specific jobs/projects, not providing it is a very undue attitude of the translator. That's because the client can easily align the pairs of the original document with the translation you provided and generate a TM exactly like the one you refused to provide.

So the client is asking you to provide something they already have, only to save them the work and time... and you refuse it?? You're running the risk of not being hired by that client again.

[Edited at 2017-06-28 16:33 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:53
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@ Teresa Jun 28, 2017

I used to think the same way and I hated CATs, and I was entirely against them, etc., etc., just like you. When I finally gave up and decided to try one, it took me a little while, but I adapted my work to it.

Today, I can guarantee you two things:

1. I translate at least twice as many words per day with the CAT than I did without it. You save A LOT of time not researching and not typing. Imagine how faster you can type if you only need to type the two or three first l
... See more
I used to think the same way and I hated CATs, and I was entirely against them, etc., etc., just like you. When I finally gave up and decided to try one, it took me a little while, but I adapted my work to it.

Today, I can guarantee you two things:

1. I translate at least twice as many words per day with the CAT than I did without it. You save A LOT of time not researching and not typing. Imagine how faster you can type if you only need to type the two or three first letters of each word + Enter? Imagine how much time you save not having to search for a term or expression you have translated three years ago, and you don't have to search again because it's in the TM. If you didn't have the CAT, you wouldn't remember it.

2. I would have lost (or not even get) about half the clients I have today if I didn't have a CAT. First of all because I wouldn't have time for all the jobs I am able to do today. Second, because I wouldn't have any of the clients that require a CAT or a TM or a document in a CAT format.

My reluctance proved to be very undue and wrong.

[Edited at 2017-06-28 16:41 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you provide your clients with your TMs related to your projects if they ask for them?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »