Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How would you rate the first part of 2017 professionally?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:08
English to French
Neutral May 29, 2017

I've been sailing with a steady turnover for some years now.
A ceiling of sorts.

Philippe

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
positive May 29, 2017

positive for me is:
I can pay rent and bills
I can buy food and clothes
I can plan to go on holiday
I can spend some time with my family

No comparison to previous years

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:08
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Negative... and then very positive May 29, 2017

In February, I had the worst month ever in a career spanning nearly 40 years. I did not worry too much, and have not found any explanation. Work is back to normal now.

However, because of all the "free" time that I had during that month, and equipping myself with a lot of patience I tried to find new clients. I did find one in particular that I am enjoying enormously which involves the "joys" of translating new videogames while working on an advanced platform, sharing Google docs, w
... See more
In February, I had the worst month ever in a career spanning nearly 40 years. I did not worry too much, and have not found any explanation. Work is back to normal now.

However, because of all the "free" time that I had during that month, and equipping myself with a lot of patience I tried to find new clients. I did find one in particular that I am enjoying enormously which involves the "joys" of translating new videogames while working on an advanced platform, sharing Google docs, working intensely on reducing the number of characters, etc., etc... I have learnt quite a lot in these last few weeks and am happy about the outcome.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:08
French to English
Too busy May 29, 2017

This time last year I was complaining about not having enough work, and now I've got too much. Oh well, I'm sure it won't last.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
ups and downs May 29, 2017

After a good fresh start in January and an excellent April, my May turned into nightmare.
Unpaid invoices, changing deadlines, hysterical PMs, payment delays, numerous reminders, lying clients.

Elina Sellgren
Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:08
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Negative May 30, 2017

I had work and my income remained about the same but I didn't recover from my seasonal affective disorder until the end of April because it was so cold and cloudy until then. It may not affect the quality of my work but I feel it affects my client relationships because I forget 'little' things like confirming receipt of documents, invoicing, etc. It really sucks that summer is usually quieter, as it would be the ideal season for me to work efficiently.

Carina Tschaitschmann
Carina Tschaitschmann
Austria
English to German
+ ...
Okay... May 30, 2017

Pretty slow January...business picked up in February, great March and April but May has been the slowest month in a long time...hoping for a busy June before everybody goes on holiday in July...

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:08
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Neutral May 30, 2017

Although I made enough money to pay my bills, the average of the first five months of 2017 was surely lower than that of the last five months of 2016.

Jacqueline, Pai Xuan How
Jacqueline, Pai Xuan How  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 15:08
English to Chinese
+ ...
Enlargement Jun 1, 2017

Today is the 1st year anniversary of me turning freelance! I am really grateful for all the opportunities I have had in the past year, especially since 2017. Got to know and privileged to have worked with the few professional translators and interpreters in Malaysia. Greater connection, enlarging territory.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How would you rate the first part of 2017 professionally?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »