Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What are your views on MT and post-editing?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:44
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I don't do post-editing, but I've done some jobs as 2nd editor Apr 13, 2017

... and the text I receive is still littered with errors, and completely off keel grammatically speaking. It took an enormous amount of time, even after one round of edits, I would have saved time by re-translating.
After complaining and threatening to stop accepting work this one client has started sending me translation jobs instead.

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
An enemy Apr 13, 2017

...to all human translators. You all should refuse MT jobs because this will deprive all of us of jobs later on. There is absolutely no reason to accept: poorly paid, more work and self-defeating

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:44
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
MT = Useful IF YOU DON'T SPEAK the relevant language. PE = Disgrace Apr 14, 2017

Machine translations are something absolutely useful in a globalized world. It helps people communicate WHEN THEY DO NOT SPEAK THE RELEVANT LANGUAGE they are translating.
Anyone who uses MT to pre-translate immediately looses my entire respect as a professional linguist. It's absolutely unnaceptable.
Anyone who says "MTs will replace translators in the future" will deserve a big laugh of mine, and also lose their credibility with me.
Any agency that proposes me a post-editing j
... See more
Machine translations are something absolutely useful in a globalized world. It helps people communicate WHEN THEY DO NOT SPEAK THE RELEVANT LANGUAGE they are translating.
Anyone who uses MT to pre-translate immediately looses my entire respect as a professional linguist. It's absolutely unnaceptable.
Anyone who says "MTs will replace translators in the future" will deserve a big laugh of mine, and also lose their credibility with me.
Any agency that proposes me a post-editing job for a lower price than translation will never ever hear about me again.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What are your views on MT and post-editing?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »