Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you have a backup plan for power or internet outages?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 01:16
English to German
Yes Apr 11, 2017

I plug my LAN cable into the internet of the guy across the landing or the guy downstairs - we all have different providers in this house.

Power outage, I don't know. This is Germany, we don't have power outages?!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:16
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Sort of Apr 11, 2017

For as long as my laptop is running, I will at least have a chance to inform my clients that delivery might take a little longer than planned. Fortunately, I can't even remember the last power outage we had...if any at all.

In case of an internet outage - not just being out for half a day or so - I'll take my laptop to the library. There are several Internet Cafés within walking distance, but... only in case of a disastrous emergency.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 23:16
Japanese to English
Yes Apr 11, 2017

You can't work from home without one around here. From 2013-2016 we had "power rationing" where we had 12 hours of power and 24 hours of no power then 12 hours of power again, repeat ad nauseam. I got power banks + a fresh laptop battery + wifi dongles + a UPS + finally an inverter & battery set up. I'm looking into solar now to wean myself off ECG permanently. Phew!

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 02:16
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Three of each! Apr 11, 2017

With 16 to 20 hours of power outages a day, every day, here in a war-torn country, I couldn't possibly even be a translator without powerful and multiple backup supplies. They are a normal part of my life now and I keep on improving and adding to them.

Power backup:
My laptop's battery (at least 3 hours. Longer if I'm not using Trados),
and a dedicated 70 Am battery for my office, with its own charger and converter. Those can keep me fully functioning for a
... See more
With 16 to 20 hours of power outages a day, every day, here in a war-torn country, I couldn't possibly even be a translator without powerful and multiple backup supplies. They are a normal part of my life now and I keep on improving and adding to them.

Power backup:
My laptop's battery (at least 3 hours. Longer if I'm not using Trados),
and a dedicated 70 Am battery for my office, with its own charger and converter. Those can keep me fully functioning for at least 10 hours, even with the second 20" monitor.
There's also our main 200 Am battery which I can use if my office's battery ever fails.

Internet backup:
In addition to my regular ADSL, both my smartphone and tablet are equipped with 3G sim cards, each from a different provider, and always with sufficient credit. I can connect them to my laptop to send files.
But 3G connections cost too much here so they are not used for researching and regular translation work, except sending and receiving emails when necessary.
With all these I am never out of reach, although it's quite complicated and sometimes confusing to manage all these among my routine translation work.

[Edited at 2017-04-11 15:38 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Sort of Apr 11, 2017

I am fortunate to have no power outages where I live, very close to the public utility water reservoir that supplies the entire Sao Paulo downtown area. My building is connected to the same power supply circuit, considered critical, hence it is never turned off.

Once my Internet access provider had a major failure, and I was disconnected for three days. I walked to nearby LAN houses with a pen drive, and things went on pretty normal.

More recently, they went down for on
... See more
I am fortunate to have no power outages where I live, very close to the public utility water reservoir that supplies the entire Sao Paulo downtown area. My building is connected to the same power supply circuit, considered critical, hence it is never turned off.

Once my Internet access provider had a major failure, and I was disconnected for three days. I walked to nearby LAN houses with a pen drive, and things went on pretty normal.

More recently, they went down for one day, so I used my smartphone as a WiFi router. Quite slower, but still workable.

And if my computer fails, I got plenty of replacement parts around, though these are often lower-rated than the ones I use. After I do a partial upgrade, I keep the old parts. The most extreme backup here is two 15" CRT monitors in working condition, stored within easy reach.
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:16
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Recent activity Apr 12, 2017

We had wind storms a few weeks ago. We didn't lose power, but lost the internet. We live in a college town with numerous cafes and bars, all of which have wifi.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:16
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ah, Brazil! Apr 14, 2017

Where I live, powere outages only happen when we have strong storms with strong thundering. The power stays out for 15 minutes or so, and comes back. This happens about 5 to 10 times in a year. So, theoretically, a UPS would be all I needed.
However, I bought two UPSs, and both of them were UBS (unmeasurable bull Sh*t) instead. I wasted money twice in a thing that doesn't work. So I'm thinking twice before buying another one (these things are not very cheap).
So, if any of you could
... See more
Where I live, powere outages only happen when we have strong storms with strong thundering. The power stays out for 15 minutes or so, and comes back. This happens about 5 to 10 times in a year. So, theoretically, a UPS would be all I needed.
However, I bought two UPSs, and both of them were UBS (unmeasurable bull Sh*t) instead. I wasted money twice in a thing that doesn't work. So I'm thinking twice before buying another one (these things are not very cheap).
So, if any of you could indicate a decent brand/model, something that really works for about 30 minutes, I'd be very thank ful. Above all if you are in Brazil (José Henrique?).
Collapse

island-vlad
island-vlad  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Auto Answering Machine Apr 30, 2017

One of the worst possible situations is your delay in answering a new client's first request who offers you a new translation project.

In cases like this, your mailbox's auto answering machine can do a very useful work. I.e, your notes about what to do will be automatically sent to every new client from your server, if a new client doesn't receive an answer from you for a while.

Of course, it can be not client at all. But you can create some adjustable filters in you
... See more
One of the worst possible situations is your delay in answering a new client's first request who offers you a new translation project.

In cases like this, your mailbox's auto answering machine can do a very useful work. I.e, your notes about what to do will be automatically sent to every new client from your server, if a new client doesn't receive an answer from you for a while.

Of course, it can be not client at all. But you can create some adjustable filters in your mailbox to resolve problems related to client identification. Either way, the power or Internet outages affect all your correspondents, not only clients, so I use a web-based email service only (no desktop email service).

[Edited at 2017-04-30 06:28 GMT]
Collapse

Jeannette Issa
Jeannette Issa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
In Lebanon, definitely ! May 1, 2017

Lebanon has been having power outages for ages, therefore the whole country is equipped with powerful generators which pick up instead of normal electricity, but there is a certain delay before they kick off, and there is sometimes a breakdown. Therefore, as I work on my laptop, I usually keep enough battery for an hour or so to wrap up or warn clients.
As for internet, when the internet stops working or when there is a power outage, I just switch to the 4G connection on my mobile, this on
... See more
Lebanon has been having power outages for ages, therefore the whole country is equipped with powerful generators which pick up instead of normal electricity, but there is a certain delay before they kick off, and there is sometimes a breakdown. Therefore, as I work on my laptop, I usually keep enough battery for an hour or so to wrap up or warn clients.
As for internet, when the internet stops working or when there is a power outage, I just switch to the 4G connection on my mobile, this one is a lifesaver !
Collapse

yasser Boubou
yasser Boubou
Syria
Local time: 02:16
Arabic to English
+ ...
Yes May 1, 2017

We have 3 hours power on and 3 hours power off. so I use two laptops. and for the internet connection we developed a kind of a circuit that uses a (7 ampers/ 12 Volts) battery, so the the router keeps working during power cut off.
for the internet cut off, I use the internet on the mobile phone.

Estela Carvalho
Estela Carvalho
Brazil
Local time: 21:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Email myself... May 2, 2017

The easiest way to back-up is to email myself bigger ongoing projects. I can open it anywhere without the need to carry flash drives or whatever...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a backup plan for power or internet outages?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »